NEW TSB - How to Adjust Bluetooth Mic Volume - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2008-2013) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 2nd generation Toyota Highlanders.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-30-2009, 01:48 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
NEW TSB - How to Adjust Bluetooth Mic Volume

T-SB-0097-09 March 24, 2009
Audio Bluetooth System Outgoing Call Volume
Adjustment
Service
Category
Audio/Visual/Telematics

Section
Cellular Communication Market USA

Applicability
YEAR(S) MODEL(S) ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
2008 – 2009 Avalon, Highlander,
Highlander HV,
Sequoia, Sienna
2007 – 2009 Camry, Camry HV,
RAV4, Solara, Tundra
2009 Matrix, Tacoma, Venza

Introduction
When using the audio bluetooth system some customers may mention that the outgoing call volume
is too low or distorted. Please use the following procedure to adjust the outgoing call volume
to address these conditions.
Warranty Information
OP CODE DESCRIPTION TIME OFP T1 T2
N/A Not Applicable to Warranty – – – –
Repair Procedure
This procedure applies to vehicles equipped with the audio bluetooth system only.
NOTE
For vehicles equipped with the Toyota navigation system, please refer to the Repair Manual
procedures.
NOTE
This entire procedure must be completed within 15 seconds from the time the ignition is turned on
until you press the tune knob on the radio. Vehicle must have a phone previously paired to the
system for this procedure to work.
1. Turn ignition “ON”.

2. Turn radio “OFF”.
3. Turn ignition “OFF”.
4. Turn ignition “ON”, and immediately start pressing the “off hook” button on the steering wheel
until the radio displays the “Not Linked” or phone message.
5. Immediately press the volume controls on the steering wheel: Vol. “UP” - Vol. “DOWN” (3 times).
6. Press the tune knob on the radio once (display should read “Vol Type”).
7. Turn the tune knob on the radio until the display reads “Send” volume, then press tune knob.
NOTE
Only choose “Send” volume, modifying other settings may cause poor performance of the
Bluetooth system.
8. If the customer is mentioning the outgoing call volume is too low, turn the volume knob to the
right to increase outgoing call volume (+3 or +4 are recommended).
9. If the customer is mentioning of distorted or clipping sound in the outgoing call then decrease
outgoing call volume (-2 or -3 are reccommended).
10. If Bluetooth system still has original customer issue after performing the adjustment, diagnose
microphone circuit using the following repair manual instructions found on the Technical
Information System (TIS).
© 2009

'08 Limited NAV Cypress Pearl
The Following User Says Thank You to rykohl For This Useful Post:
OJPerez (08-02-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-30-2009, 03:27 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Great Find

I have added the original TSB to the "I survived Pairing my Bluetooth thread"

On edit..

When I tried the TSB procedure I noticed the following:

Once I saw "Not Linked" displayed I had to be real quick doing the "Vol up-Vol down, Vol up-Vol down, Vol up-Vol down press the tune knob' step

If I took my time I would hear "Phone Book" and "Vol Type" would not be displayed.

I also had to turn the TUNE knob to increase the outgoing call voume from the default "0" to "+2" not the VOLUME knob stated in the procedure

Sooo.. anyone else try this procedure yet? If so did you have to do the same thing I did??

2008 Highlander Limited AWD, Silver, SmartKey, VSC/TRAK, Bluetooth, Remote Start, No Nav, Tow package/hitch/color matched fascia, roof rack cross rails, Color keyed mud guards, Camry trumpet horns

Last edited by summerwind; 03-30-2009 at 03:59 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to summerwind For This Useful Post:
OJPerez (08-02-2014)
#3 Old 03-30-2009, 05:33 PM
Do you feel lucky?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Thanked 4,778 Times in 3,328 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
And a link to the TSB has been added to the Modifications and Maintenance sticky per summerwind's suggestion. Thanks rykohl for the great find!

-

-------------------------

2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL
1987 Suzuki Samurai 4X4 - Treading where no Jeep can follow....
#4 Old 03-31-2009, 05:38 PM
Aussie TN User

Garage
Australia

I'm not sure whether we have a different system here in Oz as the above procedure doesn't seem to work. For one, we only get steering wheel controls for bluetooth with the satnav option. The bluetooth radio unit we have is shown below. Is it the same as the one the above procedure was written for on the US Highlander?

#5 Old 03-31-2009, 06:23 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesawi View Post
I'm not sure whether we have a different system here in Oz as the above procedure doesn't seem to work. For one, we only get steering wheel controls for bluetooth with the satnav option. The bluetooth radio unit we have is shown below. Is it the same as the one the above procedure was written for on the US Highlander?
The steering wheel has to be on the left side for the procedure to work

On a serious note...looks like you would need to print out the TSB (the original TSB is here (http://mojavetrail.webng.com/T-SB-00...hMicVolume.pdf ) and ask your dealer to see if there is a Aussie version of this TSB. Looking at your picture your non nav system is completely different.

2008 Highlander Limited AWD, Silver, SmartKey, VSC/TRAK, Bluetooth, Remote Start, No Nav, Tow package/hitch/color matched fascia, roof rack cross rails, Color keyed mud guards, Camry trumpet horns
#6 Old 04-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Official TN Member

Thanks for the TSB Rykohl, and what timing!!! I had just returned from the dealership after leaving my HL overnight for a seat belt recall and to fix an AC vent which had fallen out of the ceiling. I had asked them to adjust the bluetooth volume, they said IT COULDN"T BE DONE . I told them I was sure it COULD be done, I was going to look on the internet. As soon as I got home I logged on and there was your TSB!

Yesterday I messed with it and now, finally, people aren't complaining of my voice being all choppy. I had to go from "0" to "-3".

The same service manager also told me all 5W 30 is synthetic.

I might have to look for a different stealership.

08 Highlander Sport 4WD
05 Chevy Express
02 F350 Powerstroke Diesel 4x4 Crew
87 Mercedes 300 Diesel
07 Tundra Dbl Cab 2WD 4.7 (son's)
#7 Old 04-01-2009, 08:17 PM
Do you feel lucky?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Thanked 4,778 Times in 3,328 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
The same service manager also told me all 5W 30 is synthetic.

I might have to look for a different stealership.
Yep, I'd drop them like a bad habit. I've got two dealers/service centers within 10 miles of me, and one is terrible with a bunch of amateurs running it, and the other I have used for years and give the highest praise. Stealerships are definitely not all the same. Hope you find a good one soon.

-------------------------

2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL
1987 Suzuki Samurai 4X4 - Treading where no Jeep can follow....
#8 Old 06-06-2009, 11:54 PM
2008 Highlander Ltd

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerwind View Post
Great Find

I have added the original TSB to the "I survived Pairing my Bluetooth thread"

On edit..

When I tried the TSB procedure I noticed the following:

Once I saw "Not Linked" displayed I had to be real quick doing the "Vol up-Vol down, Vol up-Vol down, Vol up-Vol down press the tune knob' step

If I took my time I would hear "Phone Book" and "Vol Type" would not be displayed.

I also had to turn the TUNE knob to increase the outgoing call volume from the default "0" to "+2" not the VOLUME knob stated in the procedure

Sooo.. anyone else try this procedure yet? If so did you have to do the same thing I did??

I found the same thing - the TSB is wrong - the TUNE knob adjusts the SEND level as well, not the volume knob. Also, as Summerwind said - you need "Fingers of Lightning" to do this procedure before the "Not Linked" disappears. I set to (-2) as we were getting some clipping on outgoing calls.

I know how to do the other adjustments to guidance volume and also setting the receive ring/voice volume during an incoming call...AND even though the TSB says to adjust only the SEND volume, you do get the RECEIVE volume option as well when you do this procedure (with the +5 to -5 range)...it is defaulted to "0"

Not 100% what effect setting the RECEIVE volume lower i.e. -2 would have. Assuming it adjusts incoming voice and ring volume to a "lower level"... Does anyone know or is some "experimenting" in order?

2010 Honda Ridgeline RTL with Nav

2008 Infiniti G35xS

2011 VW Tiguan SEL Premium
#9 Old 01-17-2010, 12:41 AM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by klossfam View Post

I found the same thing - the TSB is wrong - the TUNE knob adjusts the SEND level as well, not the volume knob. Also, as Summerwind said - you need "Fingers of Lightning" to do this procedure before the "Not Linked" disappears. I set to (-2) as we were getting some clipping on outgoing calls.

I know how to do the other adjustments to guidance volume and also setting the receive ring/voice volume during an incoming call...AND even though the TSB says to adjust only the SEND volume, you do get the RECEIVE volume option as well when you do this procedure (with the +5 to -5 range)...it is defaulted to "0"

Not 100% what effect setting the RECEIVE volume lower i.e. -2 would have. Assuming it adjusts incoming voice and ring volume to a "lower level"... Does anyone know or is some "experimenting" in order?
The "fingers of lightning" phrase did it for me. I was getting so frustrated that the "phone" kept coming up. Then I tried to get my fingers to move like lightning and it worked! Thanks!
#10 Old 01-29-2012, 07:06 PM
New TN User

Does anyone know if this apply on the 2008 highlighter limited with Navi? I saw the note and it said
For vehicles equipped with the Toyota navigation system, please refer to the Repair Manual
procedures. I can't seem to find it.
#11 Old 07-30-2014, 01:03 PM
New TN User

Hoping for some help here. I have a 2013 Highlander (2nd gen and non-NAV) and I cannot seem to get these instructions to work.

I get to Step 4, and am long pressing the Off-Hook button (it is a long press right? Not a press repeated. The display briefly flashes "not linked' message -- when I say briefly I mean less than 1/2 second and it immediately searches for my phone ("Waiting for Bluetooth" -- and then goes into my phone display.

I have tried the Vol Up/Vol Down x3 action when not linked but nothing happens.

Do I shut my phone off? The instructions were clear the phone needed to be previously connected for this to work.

Very frustrating!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 2nd Generation (2008-2013)