Where to hang a trash bag? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2008-2013) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 2nd generation Toyota Highlanders.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-09-2009, 10:20 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Where to hang a trash bag?

Highlander Friends,
I need some help. How are you handling small amounts of trash or garbage in your 08+ Highlander? We used to hang a small store plastic bag in our van, but I cannot find anywere that is accessible from the front seats in the Highlander. I'm probably not thinking far enough outside the box.

Have you have figured this out?

09 Highlander Hybrid Ltd, silver, moonroof, tow pkg, front and rear auto air, rack & crossbars, backup camera, power rear hatch, mud guards, cold weather pkg, alarm & engine immobilizer, JBL 6 disc, bluetooth, 7yr/125K Extended wrnty, 3rd row, No Nav but Garmin 885t voice Nav. Thule Atlantis cargo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I put 4 in my Highlander. WalMart and auto stores seem to carry the same model. They are black nylon, about 10 inches long 5 inches in diameter, a round strip of plastic sewn into the edge keeps the top open. The opening is held open to about 2 inches by a piece of elastic. I sniped that to let it be more open. They also open at the bottom to dump them out. The edge has a piece of velcro to attach it to whatever surface you want. In the front I picked the side of the center counsel near the corner of the seat as the location. In the rear I picked the sides of the front counsel for the two in the rear.
#3 Old 08-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Do you feel lucky?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Thanked 4,832 Times in 3,370 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I just use the side pocket on the driver's door and have any passenger do the same on the other side. I almost never have anything messy, so that's not a problem. I just grab the trash when I get to my destination and throw it away there. If you've got kids, then that's a different story. Although I do also use the cupholder area with the flip-up lid on the center console to store trash too. I never use that as a cup holder and instead use the two permanent circular ones on the console.

-------------------------

2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL
1987 Suzuki Samurai 4X4 - Treading where no Jeep can follow....
#4 Old 08-09-2009, 03:21 PM
TN Post Wh*re

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
How long are you planning on leaving the garbage in there? Just use a grocery bag(s) and put your trash in there and place it somewhere on the floor (preferably on the left side of the passenger side) so when you get out just throw it away if its really smelly.
#5 Old 08-10-2009, 01:36 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the ideas.

Photon Dreams - Wow that's thinking outside the box for me. I'll take a look at that.

TrailDust - Grandkids and ... um... er.. me. The Mrs is not going to go for me dropping garbage in the center console though I have quietly eyed it. Still, my marrage would be better off if I dont do that.

Camread - LOL! Hopefully I have it out of there faster than the smelly and ripe stage - especially in a grocery bag. I could see the bottom falling out but not by design with velcro per Photon Dreams. My wife recycles the paper grocery bags and they are really kind of big. She might recycle me too if I produce a stinky grocery bag. <chuckle>

It would be nice to drop somthing in while driving so it should be handy too.

09 Highlander Hybrid Ltd, silver, moonroof, tow pkg, front and rear auto air, rack & crossbars, backup camera, power rear hatch, mud guards, cold weather pkg, alarm & engine immobilizer, JBL 6 disc, bluetooth, 7yr/125K Extended wrnty, 3rd row, No Nav but Garmin 885t voice Nav. Thule Atlantis cargo
#6 Old 08-10-2009, 02:06 AM
Do you feel lucky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croisan View Post
TrailDust - Grandkids and ... um... er.. me. The Mrs is not going to go for me dropping garbage in the center console though I have quietly eyed it. Still, my marrage would be better off if I dont do that.
I have no problem with that!

2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL
#7 Old 08-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
USA

I do the same as TrailDust and use the side doors to store my trash until I reach a spot that has a waste can. I suppose you could always tie a string or bungi cord at the base of the front head rests and hang a bag from it on the backside if the seat so thos in the rear can place thier trash in it. Personally that would skeev me out to have something hanging on my baby though....

08 4WD HL Limited, Magnetic Flint/Ash Leather, Toyo OC HT's 255/55/19's, European Horns, Extended Step Plate On Rear, DeBadged All Around. No NAV/DVD, OEM Hitch with Color Matched Fascia.Höen Endurance Amber Fog Light Bulbs.
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________
#8 Old 08-10-2009, 10:59 AM
I'd Rather Be Riding...

Head Restraint Post Hooks

I found some chromed metal car hooks that go around the head restraint posts and allow hanging a trash bag on the back of the passenger seat. They can also be used to hang other items, in the front or back of a seat, as well... Here is a link to them:

http://www.talusproducts.com/highroa...uct.php?id=196

You could make something similar with an old metal coat hanger if you want to save six bucks... I prefer the finished look of these...

For bags I use these small "Trash Tosser" bags I pick up in Publix:

http://www.blinkanditsdone.com/index_en.html

Wayne

2008 2WD Limited Blizzard Pearl, Towing Package / Hitch
Mods: Formula 1 Ceramic Window Tint, SportWing Bodyside Moulding, SmittyBuilt Hitch Step, SilverStar Ultras, AVS Bug Shield, Wong's Neoprene Inserts, MGT V-1 Mirror Mount, JDM Horns, Toyo P245/55R19 Open Country H/T
#9 Old 08-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Do you feel lucky?

Whenever I have passengers in the back I place one of those small trash bins with the no-skid studs on the bottom and a box of Kleenex on the floor between the two seats. I also place a couple bottles of water and some hand wipes in the 2nd row center console. Crap, I just realized I offer better service than an airline!

2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL
#10 Old 08-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Official TN Member

I got a trash container that hangs on the headrest. You put store plastic bags in it and pull it out when it is full. Very easy and very handy to reach. Sold @ Target and other places. Has a top opaque plastic flap to cover the trash. Holds extra bags in front small pocket. Black and silver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 2nd Generation (2008-2013)