All-In-One Key Modification - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2008-2013) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 2nd generation Toyota Highlanders.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-28-2009, 10:38 PM
Hoosier HL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
All-In-One Key Modification

Hey, I haven't seen this on the board, if it's here, somebody send me a link if you wouldn't mind . Has anyone replaced their HL key + fob for the all-in-one keys like they have on the new Corollas, etc? might be kinda nice to replace big key and fob with just a key, anyone? maybe it's on another forum... will see what I can dig up...

2008 WLP/Beige Sport 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-28-2009, 11:07 PM
Toyota Traitor

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by highguy View Post
Hey, I haven't seen this on the board, if it's here, somebody send me a link if you wouldn't mind . Has anyone replaced their HL key + fob for the all-in-one keys like they have on the new Corollas, etc? might be kinda nice to replace big key and fob with just a key, anyone? maybe it's on another forum... will see what I can dig up...
PLEASE DIG THIS UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate having the separate key and fob. I have wanted to do this for quite some time and I've looked on eBay and found something that was apparently compatible, but the FCC numbers didn't match the 08-09 HL... I would pay big $$$ for this conversion!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-2...Q5fAccessories

2015 Acura RDX V6 AWD Tech
2009 Toyota Tacoma AC V6 SR5 w/PP
2008 Honda Civic LX-SR

departed.. 2002 & 2008 Highlander V6 AWD..

Last edited by AXMACD; 12-28-2009 at 11:09 PM.
#3 Old 12-30-2009, 09:37 AM
Hoosier HL

(Thread Starter)
well, nothing turned up yet, i am going to compare a corolla key with my HL key and see if they are similar size, etc. worst comes to worst i could remove the metal blank from the uncut corolla key and replace it with my HL cut metal key, but then the programming comes in to play. it may come down to programming the key to work, whether or not that is possible with the different systems...

Anyone know if I take the spare key from a 2010 corolla, reprogram it (or at least try) to my HL, will it do any irreversible damage to the electronics? i am thinking of "borrowing" the extra all-in-one key from my mother-in-law's corolla to see if i can get the electronics to talk nicely to my HL... anybody have any thoughts?

2008 WLP/Beige Sport 4x4
#4 Old 12-30-2009, 11:06 AM
Toyota Traitor

The lower model Avalon's now use the all in one type key, they used to use the same key/remote that the Highlander used.

2008 Honda Civic LX-SR

#5 Old 12-30-2009, 02:06 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you just need to make sure the fcc ids match up. I converted my ridgeline key when i had it but i had to find matching frequency ids so it would program. I assume toyota will also have different ids in use so someone just needs to figure out which one is needed.
#6 Old 12-30-2009, 03:33 PM
Hoosier HL

(Thread Starter)
so my keyfob has FCC ID GQ43VT20T, you're saying I need to find an all-in-one key with the same ID? are there variations of those that would work? As you can probably see, i know very little about these numbers....

2008 WLP/Beige Sport 4x4
#7 Old 12-30-2009, 03:38 PM
Toyota Traitor

Quote:
so my keyfob has FCC ID GQ43VT20T, you're saying I need to find an all-in-one key with the same ID? are there variations of those that would work? As you can probably see, i know very little about these numbers....
I have looked and the only thing I could find is 29T.

2008 Honda Civic LX-SR

#8 Old 12-30-2009, 04:02 PM
Hoosier HL

(Thread Starter)
so I did some googling, here is what I found (albeit on an F150 forum, but what is the truth to it...) so do I read that right, the FCC ID is just to identify the unit, not necessarily limiting the use of one FCC ID fob on another Toyota system, or plainer put, not necessarily dictating compatibility? anybody else read that?

Quote:
Old 05-01-2004, 12:27 PM

Vehicle: 2006 FORD F150
If this is like most FCC ID's numbers, it is to govern the transmission ( that it is not too strong, won't fry your brain, etc ).

The aftermarket one that you have, might be:
1. On a different channel in the ISM band, which means the RAP won't be looking for it there.
2. The format of it, might be completly different ( don't never looked ) to mean that if it is on the correct channel, the RAP would see it as noise, and not even allow it to be programmed.

If I am reading your question correctly, you want to know if the remote with the part number : F8DB-15K601-AA works with the RAP on the firewall.
The answer is yes. I have the stock Ford keyless entry and the p/n on my remote is F8DB-15K601-AA.

The RAP and the CSM ( the replacement for the RAP ) use the same remotes from what I have found to date. The differences between the RAP and the CSM are minor, and have the do with how things are done from the Anti-Thieft, and a bit of the wiring is different ( different pins for the leads to the CSM vs the RAP ), the remotes are still the same remotes.
The FCC ID tag on it, are to ID that item, they don't need to match.

Hope I read the question correctly, that youa re looking to add in the factory keyless entry in addition to the aftermarket remote start you have. Did I get that correct ?

Did you check the cycle test to see if the truck is equipped with remote entry option. A RAP does not mean that it will do this.
Old 05-01-2004, 01:52 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Ford F-150 4x4
SSCULLY,

Thanks for replying.

You're absolutely correct. Even before I received your reply, I did a little test. I did the key cycle 8 times thing and tried to program my parent's Windstar remote. It worked! I now can use their remote to lock/unlock my truck.

The best thing is I can still use my aftermarket remote. I thought that reprgramming another remote would screw up the signal on the aftermarket one, but it didn't.

So apparently, the whole FCC ID # doesn't mean a whole lot. I think any Ford remote would work (if you have the correct years). The Windstar remote I used was a '00.

Thanks again!

2008 WLP/Beige Sport 4x4
#9 Old 12-30-2009, 04:06 PM
Hoosier HL

(Thread Starter)
sorry for that long reply just above, i should have cut some of the junk out...

ok, so I found this key: Corolla Replacement Key

they run on the same frequency, need to read up more and see if that's all I'd need...

Anyone dispute the text above about the FCC ID not necessarily needing to match?!?!

2008 WLP/Beige Sport 4x4
#10 Old 12-30-2009, 05:56 PM
Official TN Member

i just know that when i converted my ridgeline, i had to have matching ids and freq. I believe i ended using an acura tl key with an rdx key pad when i converted. Other keys in the honda/acura lineup wouldnt work due to mismatched ids. Maybe this just holds true to honda/acura. I am not 100% sure but I know I could only use one set up.

On that note, someone found a key that was cutable but simply switched their "guts" and substituted a cover using another key from honda or it might have even been aftermarket.

EDIT...i found the link i used to convert last year or so. Ia m not sure if i am allowed to post links to other car forums, if I should not, just please delete
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...light=flip+key

EDIT #2- i also just noticed i had to match up RFID's to make this work...still the info was in the keypad. I hope this helps everyone.

Last edited by jimmied; 12-30-2009 at 06:04 PM.
#11 Old 12-30-2009, 05:58 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
yes but it also needs to be a compatible key that can be cut for your vehicle.
#12 Old 12-30-2009, 05:59 PM
Official TN Member

i just wanted to add as well that when i asked honda to program and cut my acura remote they thought i was crazy. I had to deny any liability, etc. But when they were done, they actually hooked me up with a much lower price due to a little side bet I had with the manager. They were happy they could "upgrade" other customers if needed based on what i had done.
#13 Old 12-31-2009, 09:39 AM
Hoosier HL

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmied View Post
yes but it also needs to be a compatible key that can be cut for your vehicle.
that part I've got, now to figure out all the electronic mumbo-jumbo

thanks for your help, i'll see if i can get my hands on a Corolla key from someone i know and see if i can get the electronics programmed first, will report back when i get that answer, then i'll worry about getting a blank that can fit my HL...

thanks again!

2008 WLP/Beige Sport 4x4
#14 Old 05-30-2010, 12:28 AM
New TN User

Hey, I know this is kind of an old post but I was wondering if you got this all worked out yet ?
#15 Old 09-10-2010, 11:17 PM
New TN User

Another bump to this thread - I was looking on Ebay and found some of these - before dropping $50 i'd like someone to confirm they actually work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 2nd Generation (2008-2013)