Toyota Nation Forum banner

The Likes/Dislikes Thread

10K views 44 replies 26 participants last post by  05Moose 
#1 ·
Alrighty, so I've had my HL for roughly a year and 4 months now, and theres plently that I love about this truck, but that being said it's far from perfect...

Since a new 3rd generation is likely coming up soon, let's hear what everyone loves about the current HL's and what people wish they could change.

I'll start.

My Likes:

1. Love the exterior of the 08-10's. Completely understated yet powerful looking, and they look like an actual SUV not a swoopy crossover. Right down to the 19" rims, I dont think I'll ever find a set of aftermarket wheels I like better. Maybe just the chromed OEM wheels some people on here have.

2. The seating position. I love where the driver sits in the HL. It's a good height, and the driver can actually see the hood when driving.

3. The brakes. Completely awesome. Took me forever to get used to driving around a parking lot with them because it always looked like I was slamming on them when applying at low speeds. I've also gotten into a couple harry situations when towing a trailer, and these brakes have never left me worried feeling.

4. The layout of the entire interior dashboard, the size of the navigation screen, and the HVAC controls.

5. The powerplant. I wouldn't change a thing. I always have plenty of passing power, even when towing two atv's, and it always seems to return great fuel mileage. Last weekend I did a 2 hour trip on some back country roads with two atv's loaded up in a trailer, a/c cranked, and tackled plenty of hills, and the HL still did 10.6L/100km.

Now for the dislikes:

1. The window switches don't light up at night time. Seriously? My truck is black on black, the only way I buy my cars, and every other car I've owned has backlite window switches. For the first months I struggled to find my window switches in the dark.

2. Only the driver window is automatic. My cousin has a 2011 4runner, and I've been in a 2009 Corolla XRS, both of which have 4 automatic windows. Why not the HL?

3. The interior light switch flips over too easily. I never get it back to the 'door' setting, I always go all the way to either off or on, which isn't a big deal when I actually notice.

4. The location of the heated seat dials suck.

5. I really wish we had a full 2/3 prong electrical outlit. My buddies 06 Vibe has it, so I'm assuming Matrix's do as well, why not the HL?

Bonus: 6: I wish it were called the Kluger in N/A! I love that name haha, and I think I've called it a 'Highlander' once in the whole time I've owned it.

See less See more
#9 · (Edited)
^I just had a 2010 Camry SE rental car with 4 door auto, it exists, just rare when not in the luxury brands haha

MPG
Easy Modibility
more "aggressive" look when compared to 2011's
19' rims
fairly good sound system stock (JBL) , easily upgradable
Easy controls on steering wheel and nav
stock 150amp altenator, no need to worry about having enough power for my 2 amps I added.

Dislikes:
the biggest annoyance is the freaking back bumper lip that scratches like crazy. Just got a OEM protector to cover that spot.
pathetic OEM horns (quickly replaced)
stock interior lighting brightness (upgraded to LED's)
Lack of choice to refuse having the 3rd row, instead of having it standard (I've never used it and would love to have the cargo bin.)
The choice in OEM tires (weird size), plus the ones that came on mine (Bridge-stone Duelers H/L 400's) are crap.
nanny nav
19.2 gallon tank (too small, especially when my car reads empty with zero miles left cruising range with 16 gallons used...)

Wishes (not dislikes):
no HID's stock (quickly fixed haha)
wish it had a 6 speed tranny instead of the stock 5

#3 ·
I have had mine since May and my disappointments would include:

1. How flimsy the exterior is. I appreciate that weight is an issue but I expect the paint is thicker than the metal under it. And even then the paint they use is so soft a hard bug will dent it.
  2. How flimsy the various panels under the car are and how cheaply they are held in place.
  3. How little usable space there is behind the third row seats when up.
  4. How little useful information is available on the display thingmie (where the clock and temperature are).
  5. How they rate the towing capacity at 5000# and not supply an appropriate trailer package to match.
  6. How the shape of the doors make it look as if there is damage to them (at the bottom, just above the trim).
  7. How quiet the alarm is that indicates you have locked or unlocked the car via the remote.
  8. How you can not lock the vehicle via the remote if a door is still open.
There are probable more.. however over all I am impressed and like the Highlander..

I am confused though why this is called a "truck". A truck has a box that one can dump a load of manure in..

#4 ·
A truck has a box that one can dump a load of manure in..
Golf clap. Agreed.

Dislikes:

Second the non-lit window buttons.
Nanny Nav is a pain when one is driving not being able to fully use it.
Not that easy to see when reversing (using eyes not camera).
Shame it's not RWD but I can live with that.

The look of it. I was partial to the Mazda CX-9 but the Highlander just looks better.
Great engine. The 3.5l V6 rocks.
Good fuel economy. Better than the CX-9.

#5 ·
I'll play. At this point I've owned mine for 3 1/2 years. Overall, I love this vehicle and the only reason I'd buy a different vehicle is I'd prefer a true 4x4 since I don't always want to revert to my Samurai to get to those hard to reach locations. Okay, the good and the bad....

The Good:

1. The mileage! What can you say, what SUV this size class gets this kind of mileage?
2. Interior room. Again, for this class of SUV it is very large for carrying stuff.
3. Comfortable interior/seats.
4. Comfortable ride.
5. A traction control system that works phenomenally well when traction is lost.
6. LED spot light mounted in roof.

The Bad:

1. Interior plastic that is easily scratched and/or damaged.
2. A rear bumper with no protective lip to prevent the paint from getting damaged when putting cargo in and out.
3. Limited interior storage spaces/cubbyholes.
4. Window switches that don't light up.
5. An air filter housing that is a bitch to remove and service.
6. No outside temperature sensor/display.

#6 ·
Some have already been mentioned, but here's my list after 2.5 years with my 09.

1. Exterior looks, including the 19" wheels (I agree with OP that I cannot find a sharper looking wheel, including after-market)
2. Seats - comfortable and high seating position
3. Engine - powerful
4. Dash layout
5. Back up camera without having to throw money away for Nav
6. Power lift gate
7. Lift gate glass opens separately
8. Room - incredible 2nd row leg room and 3rd row is better than any comparable SUV (at least when I shopped around for my 09)
9. The 2nd row middle seat/console swap with storage in centre console

Dislikes:
1. Cheap quality of interior materials ( silver scratches easily, hard plastics)
2. HID not an option
3. lack of illuminated switches
4. Lack of split 3rd row (addressed in 2011)
5. Slow engagement of reverse camera - I find myself half way reversed out of a space by the time the camera engages or I have to wait for it to engage...a real pain.
6. No option for 2nd row heated seats and cooled/ventilated front seats
7. Lack of turn signals in side mirrors - vehicles under $20K have them.
8. Lack of lighter sockets in 2nd row for chargers etc (I have to run an extension from the cargo area to the 2nd row for my son's ipod, blackberry etc)
9. Lack of 120v 3 prong socket for chargers etc.
10. Lack of stainless exhaust tips - minor, but dual exhaust tips would have added a more sporty/aggressive look to the vehicle.

#8 ·
Bad:
- No 7 pin wiring harness for a vehicle that can tow 5000#
- Cost of OEM hitch and 4 pin harness
- Thin metal and paint make for a panel that is easily dented and scratched
- When the power window lock is engaged, the driver should be able to control all windows (anyone with kids who love pushing buttons know what I mean)
- Unplugging anything from the 24V jacks in the front pulls the whole jack out if you are not careful.
- No split third row
- lack of the option for the cargo box in lieu of the third row seats (at least in the 2009 Canadian V6 model)
- no illuminated door switches
- no protective lip on rear bumper
- Not able to change things like the units (Metric to English) on the MFD yourself on the fly
- Lack of a decent GPS, like a built-in Garmin (so I am told, which is why I didn't opt for the NAV package)
- sound of the horn
- OEM tires
- Small size of the gas tank (especially if you tow)
- TPMS that does not show actual pressures (for those without the Hybrid)
- Heated seat controls should push on/off.
- Having to pay extra for satellite radio. It should have everything installed with one year free subscription, like other manufacturers (Chrysler)

Good
- Mileage
- Engine
- Look (I love my 19" wheels)
- Power lift gate
- Separate glass opening on lift gate
- ceiling mounted LED for centre console
- soft ride
- Winter performance/traction control (at least with dedicated winter tires)

I am sure that I left out a few from both categories. Overall, I really like this truck (;)) alot. Seriously, though...I call it my truck. Crossover SUV is just too many syllables.

#11 ·
I love my new Highlander but wish they improved the following:
- top of the line model does not include memory seats
- no auto folding side view mirrors
- no AC outlet in the front cabin
- lousy location for USB /iPod plugs - they should be in the center console.
- horn $ucks
- cheap carpet floor mats & the rubber all weather mats aren't designed to hold a lot of snow or crud - they are practically flat with no capacity to hold filth-muck
- single DVD screen for rear viewing

A couple of pleasant surprises:
- 2nd row seating with removable middle seat so the kids don't have to touch & they each get their own arm rest.
- full size spare
- operation of the 3rd row is a huge improvement over my XC90
reclining 2nd row seats so the kids can kick back and chill
- lots of storage

G
#12 ·
I just bought a 2011 Sport after having my 2008 Sport for a little over a year. Believe me i seriously considered buying the 2011 Ford Explorer LTD, due to the std features, the size, the torque, looks, etc however that's for another post!

My dislikes:

• OEM tires in an odd size, that are just useless if its not dry pavement, got the toyo open country A20s on mine and changed to toyo open country HT which are way better and handle just fine in snow!
  • The paint that chips way too easily, its almost like they never intended to painted the car or had a change of thought in the middle.
  • Rear Back bumper lip that scratches like crazy
  • The cost of the factory trailer hitch and accessories (about $900 CA) installation not included
  • No memory on the power seats and mirrors, toyota is so cheap they made only one seat power adjustable on the Sport model, lol!!
  • Cheap H4 two filament headlights (updated on the 2011), still no HIDs on any model.
  • No power folding mirrors.

#13 ·
I've had a 2011 Limited for 3 months now and agree pretty much with everything said in previous posts. I am still surprised that nobody mentioned the lack of HD radio in any of the trim lines especially when cheaper suv's include it as standard. It would negate the need to pay subscription fees for sat. radio service. Does anyone have any info on whether there are any aftermarket HD radio modules for the Highlander without replacing the entire head unit. I have the JBL system and my XM time will probably run out any day now.

G
#15 ·
I have the 2011 Sport Trim which came with HD radio and XM Satellite (Still working regardless of no subscription). Not sure about whats included in the USDM offerings but the Canadian market models seem to include a few more features, correct me if i'm wrong!!

#14 ·
I'd only add that if Toyota doesn't address these issues in the 2014 redesign of the Highlander, I'll be disappointed enough in Toyota to consider them out of the running for my next couple of vehicles. Toyota corporate talks big about reconnecting to its customers and addressing complaints and feedback, but you sure don't see any of that by the lack of fixes implemented in follow-on model years of the Highlander.:thumbsdow

#20 ·
I have 2 kids so the middle of the 2nd row is removed and the storage tray/compartment is there - they feel like royalty as mom chauffeurs them around in their little captain style chairs. Any additional carpool kids get relegated to the 3rd row dungeon. Actually with the center of the 2nd row removed it isnt too bad back there (for a kid).

Reactions: Airam
#22 ·
I searched and couldn't find an answer. When I type in an address or POI on the navigation the response time is pretty slow compared to her old 2007 IS 350. I know it searches similar/exact names of the street addresses or POI while you type it in. But it usually takes like 3-5 seconds to show results of the search. Is this normal?

#25 ·
I have an 08 HL Ltd and would have thought it would have had:
* Memory seats/side mirrors
* 115 volt plug in console area
* better location of heated seat controls and push button vs a knob
* better coverage of carpet with the all weather floor mats
* front license plate frame
* tilt wheel lever that springs back in place when released
* cruise control that doesn't floor it upon resume (93 Camry did the same thing) ya think they'd figure it out in 15 years !!
* radio that will show the song names/artists for stations that offer that
* shocks to hold the hood up, even though they don't seem to last long
* rear window washer that sprays instead of dumps/dribbles
* exterior paint that scratches when wind blows by it
* interior plastic (dashboard) that scratches extremely easy
* better oil filter design....less gimmicky with the bottom cap that doesn't actually drain the whole filter and now it won't come off...I've decided it's just easier to drop the whole canister and then clean up the oil that spills on the frame.

If the GMC Acadia had not been more expensive and carried higher insurance premiums, I would likely have bought it over the HL. I have a Silverado LTZ which has lots of nice interior features that the Acadia also had in the top trim line.

Don't get me wrong, other than the above items, I really like the HL. Just wish that SE Toyota didn't force you into an option package that has options you really don't want. The only way to get around their "profit plan" is to order one and wait and wait.

Good thread ! Hope Toyota reads it!

#26 ·
I have an 08 HL Ltd and would have thought it would have had:
* front license plate frame
* radio that will show the song names/artists for stations that offer that
* shocks to hold the hood up, even though they don't seem to last long

If the GMC Acadia had not been more expensive and carried higher insurance premiums, I would likely have bought it over the HL. I have a SilveradoLTZ which has lots of nice interior features that the Acadia also had in the top trim line.

Don't get me wrong, other than the above items, I really like the HL. Just wish that SE Toyota didn't force you into an option package that has options you really don't want. The only way to get around their "profit plan" is to order one and wait and wait.

Good thread ! Hope Toyota reads it!

Interesting few points you mentioned there. The lack of a front plate bracket was actually a BIG PLUS for me. Front plates suck already, why add a huge plastic mount on top of that when the vehicle doesnt need one?

My NAV shows the song title/artist name when toggling through stations?

And I totally agree with the shocks to hold up the hood. Seriously, this sucker came with a prop rod? My Sunfire has one, and it was the only other car I've owned that ever had one. I was dissapointed when I realized that on the Sunfire, nevermind on the Highlander!

Funny you mention the Acadia. I think the Acadia was the vehicle that ended my love for GM (and the killing of Pontiac). I was so looking forward to them coming out, and then my friend bought one in '08. I hated the interior...it looked so incredibly cheap. My friend bought the base however, so before buying my HL I figured I should atleast look at Acadia SLT's. Really seemed no better to me at all...same horrible plastic dashboard and instrument panel, tiny GM nav that looks like it was from 2005, and same old school GM key and fob that my Grand Prix came with 10 years ago. And the huge deal breaker, the Acadia didn't come in BLACK! Seriously? It only came in "carbon" metallic. No thanks, if I don't wash my black cars for two weeks they too look like "carbon" metallic.
Really don't know what extra features the Acadia had at all?

#29 · (Edited)
well the radio on base cars does not show the song name on the radio because it does not have hd radio.

and as for the shocks for the hood. to me it doesnt matter. ive only owned a solara with the shocks for the hood and they failed and i had to replace them
I don't have a base car...it's the Ltd and doesn't display the song title/artist. I don't believe the radio in my truck is HD and I don't have NAV in the truck either, but it will display the song title/artist on stations that offer that. I don't know why all stations don't broadcast that info.

I agree that the shocks do fail over time, but still prefer them over the prop rod.

#30 ·
Thats really dissapointing about the radio not displaying the song/artist then...It's the kind of thing you don't really appreciate until its gone.

I guess coming from GM's I have just expected this in every new vehicle.

#31 ·
Dislikes:

Drive by wire just feels weird. Three months and still not used to it

I'm 6' 2" and just can't get comfortable in the seats. If the bottom cushion titled, I think that would help.

Ditto on the heated seats. I don't mind the placement, but on/off would be great.

Bigger gas tank, please

Again with the tall guy issue, the wheel obstructs the speedometer. I have a center mounted Garmin which is a fine substitute, but the other gauges are blocked too.

I use the moonroof a lot, and prefer the manual types, like in my old Saab.

Blind spots. I removed the rear head restraints, and clipped-on a panoramic rear view.

Yeah, that air box is a pain.

Sport model, can't read the radio display with my prescription polarized sunglasses.

Lack of storage bins and outlets. The center eyeglasses box should have a flat profile.

More ground clearance

I'd like paddle shifters

There are many, but notable...

Very smooth at 100MPH

Handles well in sand

Split lift gate is useful

Like the miles to empty display

MPG is pretty good (I get 19/23)

Grips the road better than any vehicle I've owned, corners very well

#32 ·
Lack of storage bins and outlets.
you have got to be the first person to ever mention that. Outlets, I'll give you that one, but storage? The HL has a ton, a lot more than other cars out there. You could fit a small animal in the glove box :lol:

Very smooth at 100MPH
On the track right??? :naughty:

#34 · (Edited)
GuideGuido: Great signature block. Sooo very true. This vehicle is a large AWD station wagon, not a 4WD truck. Too bad Americans have such a hang up with the idea.

-Mileage
-Quiet/smooth ride
-Interior comfort
-Captians chairs option for second row
-Visibility
-Build quality despite some hard plastics
-Plenty of power for size/weight
-5-speed transmission that doesn't hunt for gears like most 6-speed CUV's do

Dislikes
- Mushy break pedal
- Lack of storage space in front area
- No electrical power point in the second row
- Wimpy seat heater knobs
- GPS/Head unit that looks like a cheap aftermarket unit ('13 Limited)
- Lack of driver seat memory
- Lack of power folding mirrors
- Display doesn't dim when headlights come on
- No distance markers on back-up camera display
- Overly tall shift lever
- Standard fake wood trim on Limiteds
- Smart Key gets confused when two fobs are in close proximity

So far we love the car. The dislikes are really just nit-picks. After looking at everything on the market, it was no competition for us.

#35 ·
Dislikes
- Display doesn't dim when headlights come on
Do you have your brightness control turned down below the detent to the "manual" (for lack of a better word) settings? If I turn my brightness all the way up past the click, then I get something similar. However, in the manual mode where I like mine, the display does dim when the lights come on at night, tunnels, stretches of less than bright light, etc.

#38 ·
Old thread, but I'll contribute.

-Power liftgate (reason why 4Runner didn't make cut)
-Perfect size

Dislikes:
-All weather mats aren't robust at all
-Backup camera doesn't have guide lines
-Would prefer to have a legit AWD system. Will be sticking with the Audi in the white stuff.
-When no destination is set in the nav, I'd rather see the radio info instead of the map. Is there a setting I can adjust?

#40 · (Edited)
Likes on our 2011 Highlander.

1.smooth ride.
2.Bluetooth and audio streaming
3.backup camera.
4.Lot's of room for a med sized suv
5.Headlights Projection is Great however weak bulb's I replaced.

Dislikes

1. Torque steering way too much play in the system not well balanced when you gun it (yea I have a v6)
2.cheap plastics interior trim normal for most Toyota's today.
3.Lack of door moldings in a 30k to 50k suv is disappointing (added mine on)
4.Tire size is small and Toyo tires are a horrible choice to go with.
5. No led signal mirrors options?
6. No mirror occupation sensor aka lane change?
7.No power 3rd seat option?

#41 ·
I'll play.

The bad...

Overall the interior is pretty cheap.
Paint and sheet metal are thin.
The moon roof controls also need to be lit.
Better placement of the lever that operates the fuel filler door.
A level spot on the dash if only to set something temporarily.
Thing wanders like crazy if you take your eyes off the road even for a second.

The good...

Interior volume is good.
I guess mpg is good.
Rear hatch with seperate glass panel access is nice.

#42 · (Edited)
Good size/interrior
Mpg is ok

Wish list:
Light for window buttons, auto up and down
Windows up/down with key fob
Memory for seat/mirrors
Factory HID option
Led drl (factory) I'm sure 2014 will have them.
Higher resolution navi screen
Actual GPS not DVD based navi
Back up assist either beep or guides on rear camera screen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.