Remote start for 2012 limited. - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 2nd Generation (2008-2013)

2nd Generation (2008-2013) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 2nd generation Toyota Highlanders.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 10:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View chitown19's Photo Gallery
Remote start for 2012 limited.

I just purchased a 2012 highlander limited and was wondering if anyone else has installed an aftermarket remote start.

If so which one did you go with, and how do you like it?

I've read through some threads here and it appears that the Viper system is the preferred choice, but I was looking to spend around 400-500 installed and may not be able to get it in that range.

Also, does installing the remote start from best buy or a 3rd party company void any type of warranty in regards to the engine?

Thanks for your time.
chitown19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 09:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View lispeej's Photo Gallery
I'd like to know too.
lispeej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $101000
View Limited11's Photo Gallery
A remote start basically powers the ignition wires that are needed to start the car and has nothing to do with the engine. Warranty should be fine. If you did happen to have any problem they would need to prove that it was the remote start that actually caused whatever issue you might have. If it was the remote start, then you need to find out if it was the remote start itself or the installation. If the installation was botched then it falls on the shop that installed it and if its the remote start then you would have to talk to the manufacturer of it. The only foreseeable problem with a remote start would be something electrical and in worst case scenario the car goes on fire.
Limited11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
cke
New TN User

View cke's Photo Gallery
I'm curious, how would remote start work when 2011+ with smart key is required to be in the vehicle for the engine to start? Unless you are referring to non-smart key vehicles? Is there remote start product out there that would work for vehicles with smart keys?
cke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View lispeej's Photo Gallery
From my understanding. For vehicles that have the smart keys, they require a bypass module to get the remote starters to work.
lispeej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

View jacwvl's Photo Gallery
I installed a remote starter last winter in my 2011 Limited. Should be no changes for you 2012. The unit is from Compustar and works extremely well in my Highlander. The only thing you do differently when using the remote is that you need to (1) unlock the doors with the remotes fob (since the remote locks the doors when the engine starts to stop anyone from stealing a running vehicle) and (2) step on the brake pedal once prior to putting the car into gear. The whole thing installed by my local shop was around $500.00 The parts that were installed were:

RF-P1WG4-SS Compustar Pro Remote Kit
FT-6200S Compustar Remote Starter Controller
Key Override All Crimestopper Data Bus Kit

Also, I had them mount the antenna for the starter on the drivers side 3 row window and with the deep tint it is almost invisible from the outside. (charged an extra $15.00 to run the wiring).

Here is the link to the starter:

http://www.compustar.com/products/pro/RF-P1WG4-SS.html

Hope this can work for you. It has been great for me.
jacwvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

View leolion9's Photo Gallery
Congrats chitown19!

I have purchased a 2012 Highlander limited recently. I had no idea about the remote starters and all I wanted was something with a confirmation. I went with the dealers suggestion - Viper responder one- ($700/-). This works well and has a great range too..... only drawback is the engine shuts down when the door is opened - got to restart every time ..... I was not informed of this "safety" feature before the installation.

Hope this helps!
leolion9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
New TN User

View Shotking4's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwvl View Post
I installed a remote starter last winter in my 2011 Limited. Should be no changes for you 2012. The unit is from Compustar and works extremely well in my Highlander. The only thing you do differently when using the remote is that you need to (1) unlock the doors with the remotes fob (since the remote locks the doors when the engine starts to stop anyone from stealing a running vehicle) and (2) step on the brake pedal once prior to putting the car into gear. The whole thing installed by my local shop was around $500.00 The parts that were installed were:

RF-P1WG4-SS Compustar Pro Remote Kit
FT-6200S Compustar Remote Starter Controller
Key Override All Crimestopper Data Bus Kit

Also, I had them mount the antenna for the starter on the drivers side 3 row window and with the deep tint it is almost invisible from the outside. (charged an extra $15.00 to run the wiring).

Here is the link to the starter:

http://www.compustar.com/products/pro/RF-P1WG4-SS.html

Hope this can work for you. It has been great for me.
Do you have 2 FOBs now? That might annoy me and that is what has been stopping me from getting one. The factory one the dealer was going to install was $700 and it shuts off the motor when you get in the car and you have to restart the car. I assume this compustar model is not like that. If you go to a store, can you push the start button on the remote, get out and leave the car running while you go in the store without having the keys in the car? That was my favorite feature of my past remote starts. Thanks.
Shotking4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
New TN User

View jacwvl's Photo Gallery
Let me answer your questions one at a time about the Compustar

1. The package I purchased did come with two fobs.

2. The Compustar does not shut down the engine when opening the door. The only thing you need to do after starting is to unlock the door with the Compustar fob (since it automatically locks the doors when the engine starts using their fob) and then just press the brake pedal once.

3. After using the Compustar fob you can go back to using the Highland Smart Key as usual.

4. Your question about leaving the car running. I tried this out on my Highlander and you cannot use the Smart Key to do this, I then used the Compustar fob to lock the door with the engine running and it worked out just fine.

Hope this helps.
jacwvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View nth89's Photo Gallery
Anyone tried the Viper remote start on 11+ sienna with smart key? I've been thinking going aftermarket vs oem. Oem shuts off when you open the door. Aftermarket unit requires you to carry two remotes. Thoughts?
Old 12-25-2011, 11:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $303855
View deadrx7conv's Photo Gallery
Since I only wanted "1" remote to control the car, I had it installed by the dealer. I have enough junk on my keychains already and didn't want another bloated remote.

I have no problem with the "shutting off" issue. Most of the time, the timer shuts it off before I even step outside. I mainly only use it to pre-heat the vehicle on those upcoming cold mornings, sometimes more than once.

I've never used to the remote start to start a vehicle that I was walking to, and don't care for the 'cool factor' of having the vehicle start up as I approach it. Silly gimmick. I'm more than capable of starting a vehicle by myself when I enter it.
deadrx7conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
New TN User

View esul60's Photo Gallery
Hi,

I've installed a Compustar remote start myself. I also wanted to stick with the factory keyfob. The easiest way I found was to use a Compustar CM6200 for the remote start. For the immobilizer bypass, I used the idatalink Blade module that slides into the Compustar module. I also installed a Compustar Drone module which allows me to start the car from anywhere using a computer or smartphone. Finally, I connected a special module (PAC TR7) to the door lock wire to pulse the CM6200 using that factory keyfob lock button so I can remote start using this when in range (programmed for 4 lock pulses). I'm just an amateur, but all of this was surprisingly easy to do myself. All the parts can be bought online, usually pre-programmed. I'd be happy to provide details to anyone interested.
--
2010 HiHy Ltd

Sent using AutoGuide.Com Free
esul60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
New TN User

View albeenno's Photo Gallery
would installing a viper remote start void warranty?
albeenno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
New TN User

View esul60's Photo Gallery
Definitely not. Some dealer service departments may try to hassle you if you ever have an electrical problem under warranty, but they would have to prove it was the fault of the aftermarket remote start. You can always ask the installer to put in a switch to cut power to the unit if you are sending tbe car for service.

If you have a smartkey and go with Viper, you will need to carry both the Smartkey and the Viper fob with you. There are ways to use the factory keyfob with an aftermarket remote start. Compustar is one, Avital (made by same company that makes Viper) is another. The limitation of these is the short range of the factory remote. That's why I also installed a system to use my smartphone to start. If you don't have a smartkey, then you can just use the aftermarket fob exclusively.

Sent from my MB855 using AutoGuide.Com Free
esul60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
New TN User

View albeenno's Photo Gallery
Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by esul60 View Post
Definitely not. Some dealer service departments may try to hassle you if you ever have an electrical problem under warranty, but they would have to prove it was the fault of the aftermarket remote start. You can always ask the installer to put in a switch to cut power to the unit if you are sending tbe car for service.

If you have a smartkey and go with Viper, you will need to carry both the Smartkey and the Viper fob with you. There are ways to use the factory keyfob with an aftermarket remote start. Compustar is one, Avital (made by same company that makes Viper) is another. The limitation of these is the short range of the factory remote. That's why I also installed a system to use my smartphone to start. If you don't have a smartkey, then you can just use the aftermarket fob exclusively.

Sent from my MB855 using AutoGuide.Com Free
Thanks for the info. I might as well install my viper 5901 that i took off my old car and not buy the $600 toyota remote start
albeenno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 2nd Generation (2008-2013)