Steering wheel sticking on turns, not returning to center - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 2nd Generation (2008-2013)

2nd Generation (2008-2013) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 2nd generation Toyota Highlanders.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
RectangleAmericaMegaphone

Gameroom cash: $110900
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View 9volt's Photo Gallery
Steering wheel sticking on turns, not returning to center

Has anyone else experienced their steering wheel sticking or not returning to center properly? When making turns at low or highway speeds and releasing the wheel it doesn't fully return to center. This is noticeable only on left turns in our Highlander. It seems to return to center normally on right turns.

Are there any TSBs or info on this problem?
9volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Got Snow?

Gameroom cash: $1454400
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
View 05Moose's Photo Gallery
I can interpret your description a couple of ways. One would be that it comes almost straight but doesn't quite straighten out due to some sort of steering problem.

The other interpretation I see is based on what I experienced when we bought ours. I found that it felt like it didn't want to straighten out coming out of turns...especially at highway speeds. Felt like there was a point coming out that if I let go of the wheel the HL would keep turning instead of going straight. Always felt like a resistance in trying to get it to go straight after the turn. In my situation, it was the stock tires. After installing new tires, it no longer does it. Handles normal now. So this may not be what you're experiencing, but thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

'05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s, 12/3/04
Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Selector Switch,
DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter (Moose Filter Mod) | & 2010 Highlander 4WD
05Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View katekebo's Photo Gallery
If the steering wheel returns to center when turning right, but not when turning left, it looks like an alignment issue. It may even be incorrect tire pressure (one side inflated more than the other).
Does the steering wheel pull to one side, especially when braking or accelerating?
I would start by checking tire pressure. If both front tires are at correct pressure, then check alignment.
If this does not solve the problem, you will need your steering checked by the dealer.
katekebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
AvConsult

Gameroom cash: $541455
View AVConsult's Photo Gallery
Also, a bad upper strut mount/bearing, bent strut, bent tie rod, or tie-rods of uneven length (botched alignment) can make the turn-in and return feel different from left to right turns.
'01 Honda Civic
'93 Camry LE V6 (departed)
AVConsult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
AvConsult

Gameroom cash: $541455
View AVConsult's Photo Gallery
Another thoughts; electric steering "zero" point miscalibration. Although, it would appear that if that is too far off it sets a VSC trouble code.

Never seen it reported, but could also be a failure/binding of the torque sensing assy at the steering column.
'01 Honda Civic
'93 Camry LE V6 (departed)
AVConsult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
RectangleAmericaMegaphone

Gameroom cash: $110900
View 9volt's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Moose View Post
The other interpretation I see is based on what I experienced when we bought ours. I found that it felt like it didn't want to straighten out coming out of turns...especially at highway speeds. Felt like there was a point coming out that if I let go of the wheel the HL would keep turning instead of going straight. Always felt like a resistance in trying to get it to go straight after the turn. In my situation, it was the stock tires. After installing new tires, it no longer does it. Handles normal now. So this may not be what you're experiencing, but thought I'd throw it out there just in case.
This is a reasonably accurate description of the problem. If I let go of the wheel in a turn it will return close to center but not all the way. Enough that the car will still be turning. This happens more on left turns than right.

We bought it used with new tires installed and it's done it as long as we've owned it. It's been aligned at the dealer with no change. Maybe I'll try swapping some of the wheels around to see if the problem changes or not.
9volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 2nd Generation (2008-2013)