Best PnP HID Kit - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2008-2013) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 2nd generation Toyota Highlanders.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 11-25-2012, 12:37 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeneyp View Post
Take this with a grain of salt, as I haven't tested heat on the H11 projector, but I have on the 08-10's reflectors. Since the bowl of the projector is metal, it should be able to handle heat a tad better than the plastic bowl of the 08-10....

I had tested an h4 bulb, running both the high beam filament and low beam filament at the same time. Thats ~115 watts of lighting + the ridiculous amounts of heat it puts out. I got these measurements using a thermal probe on a digital multimeter. After an hour sitting, the rear of the bulb (metal portion) was 330F and the front lens of the headlight was 180F. With the bulb being 330F, I had zero damage to the housings, so I wouldn't be concerned with those temps you recorded at all.

No, you wired them right. What I was saying in your quote was referring to a 2011+ highlander. Our 2008-1010's use bixenon and the DRL is on the low beam. That is why if people install PnP on the 08-10, I usually suggest they get the DRL disabled at the dealer (Obviously can't do that in Canada) or divert them somewhere (using a relay, I did it to the fogs). It prevents the hids from being run at 100% 24/7.
If anyone's interested, here are some pics of the conversion, They, the H9's are much brighter than the H11's and will live with them for a while and see whats what.

Not too interested in doing PnP HIDS as they are illegal here in Canada and obviously not as good as a full retrofit. Personally, I don't think the HL projectors are too well optimized for PnP HID Kits.

These are just some generic bulbs for Canadian Tire! Wonder if a Phillips bulb would be any better than the Crappy tire 12 dollar wonders!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 11-28-2012, 02:06 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYPEII View Post
I have the 6000K from LightWerkz in my 2013 and love the color. Had them for 3 weeks and no problems, not 1 car flashing back at me or my wife either...
Hi, I just got my 2013 HL a few days ago and looking into upgrading to HIDs.

Did you change your projector? Or did you just get your HIDs and ballast then plug it in?

What particular model of bulbs do we use for the 2013?

Sorry, a bit of a noob on HIDs.
#18 Old 11-28-2012, 02:32 AM
Resident Nutcase

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Thanked 1,177 Times in 936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_man View Post
H11 with a low beam (also called single xenon depending on the website) harness. You don't need the can-bus ones.

Click Here for the Full List of Mods Done to My Highlander ---->>> 2008 FWD Highlander Limited
The Following User Says Thank You to sweeneyp For This Useful Post:
ice_man (11-28-2012)
#19 Old 11-28-2012, 02:59 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeneyp View Post
H11 with a low beam (also called single xenon depending on the website) harness. You don't need the can-bus ones.
Hi sweeneyp, thanks for the reply.

So what I need to order from lightwerlz are:

HID H11 Bulbs
HID Ballasts

So sorry, I am pretty new to this customizing.
#20 Old 11-28-2012, 09:19 AM
G'day mate

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
So sorry, I am pretty new to this customizing.
What is your purpose in installing HIDs? Is there something wrong with the stock lighting? I'm just asking because you can achieve various results with different parts, some people want to maximize visibility, others want a "pretty blue light".

You can order HID "kits" from XenonDepot, they are a vendor on here, or TheRetrofitSource.com, the place I always recommend. Lightwerkz works closely with TRS for getting their parts anyway. But yes, you would need a "kit" containing the bulbs and ballasts.

With HID kits, you pretty much get what you pay for, so again, what is your goal? If you want the best lighting and trouble-free, you are better off spending $100 on a kit than a cheap $30 kit that will have issues later and not light up the road optimally.

Last edited by gold94corolla; 11-28-2012 at 09:23 AM. Reason: unfinished
#21 Old 11-28-2012, 12:00 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Hi, I just got my 2013 HL a few days ago and looking into upgrading to HIDs.

Did you change your projector? Or did you just get your HIDs and ballast then plug it in?

Sorry, a bit of a noob on HIDs.
Right now the projectors are OEM (Factory), so all I did was install a plug and play kit. I got the H11 kit from Lightwerkz. If I find a cheap set of 2013 OEM headlight I will swamp out the projectors for some Lexus LS430 or non-fresnal TSX ones.

Audi S4 projectors in one-piece JDM headlights on my old 94 Acura Legend LS Coupe. 1st time doing a retro, back in 2002 I think....

Been wanting to do this to my Lexus. I have the Q45 projectors sitting around for 2 years now, just been lazy.

#22 Old 11-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold94corolla View Post
What is your purpose in installing HIDs? Is there something wrong with the stock lighting? I'm just asking because you can achieve various results with different parts, some people want to maximize visibility, others want a "pretty blue light".

You can order HID "kits" from XenonDepot, they are a vendor on here, or TheRetrofitSource.com, the place I always recommend. Lightwerkz works closely with TRS for getting their parts anyway. But yes, you would need a "kit" containing the bulbs and ballasts.

With HID kits, you pretty much get what you pay for, so again, what is your goal? If you want the best lighting and trouble-free, you are better off spending $100 on a kit than a cheap $30 kit that will have issues later and not light up the road optimally.

Nothing wrong with the stock lighting. I've read that HID give off better lighting than Halogens, that's the main reason why I want to upgrade.

I'm not after the blue light, I think the white one is more useful to me.

So for the 2013 HL, all I need is the H11 HID (35W) and the Morimoto 35W HID Ballasts? They're just plug and play right?

Thanks!!!
#23 Old 11-28-2012, 12:18 PM
Official TN Member

Yupe, H11 harness too and you are set to go...
#24 Old 11-28-2012, 12:36 PM
Resident Nutcase

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Thanked 1,177 Times in 936 Posts
Quote:
Nothing wrong with the stock lighting. I've read that HID give off better lighting than Halogens, that's the main reason why I want to upgrade.
Well that depends on the projectors ability to harness the extra light output of HID's. From what I've seen of 2011+ HL users with HIDs, I think the general review is that it puts out a little more light, but the beam isn't quiet as good halogen bulbs (if you search a little there are a few pics, the beam tends to curve a little bit, it doesn't stay flat). Fact is, if you want true HID performance, you need to retrofit the headlight with a HID projector, but that is not easy and expensive. PnP will give you a "taste" of a proper HID setup.

Quote:
I'm not after the blue light, I think the white one is more useful to me.
Then you will probably want 4300k bulbs. Its the OEM color. Its a slightly yellow white. 5K is another option, its a slightly blue white. Anything above and it turns blue then purple then if you go high enough pink (there is a Honda Ridgeline around here with pink PnP's, its really sad and funny at the same time.)

Quote:
So for the 2013 HL, all I need is the H11 HID (35W) and the Morimoto 35W HID Ballasts? They're just plug and play right?
H11 bulbs, 35 watt ballasts, h11 wire harness and your set.

Its not remove old bulb/insert HID bulb plug and play, but its real simple. Basically you make your battery + connection, input connection (connect your driver OEM h11 socket into the harness input, leave the passenger side hanging), then plug the harness outputs into the ballasts. I think the harness changed recently where the ground comes off the ballast plug, ground that. Then insert the HID bulbs into the headlights (after cleaning them) then plug them into the ballast and your set (Oh and aim your headlights to the correct level afterwords)

Click Here for the Full List of Mods Done to My Highlander ---->>> 2008 FWD Highlander Limited
#25 Old 11-28-2012, 12:45 PM
G'day mate

Quote:
Ah, well I would recommend leaving it alone. As Sweeneyp said, HIDs do not work properly in a halogen lighting system, the light source is just different so it doesn't reflect the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYPEII View Post
If I find a cheap set of 2013 OEM headlight I will swamp out the projectors for some Lexus LS430.
Been wanting to do this to my Lexus. I have the Q45 projectors sitting around for 2 years now, just been lazy.
dooo etttttt! I love the LS430s, and the Q45 are equally show-stopping!
#26 Old 11-28-2012, 05:56 PM
Official TN Member

So basically, eventhough the 2013 HL are equipped with projectors, they still aren't good enough for HIDs?

I see a light cutoff on the Halogens now, wouldn't that also do a light cutoff on the HIDs?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

Highlander Limited AWD 2013 | Magnetic Gray Metallic / Camry XLE 2008 | Barcelona Red Metallic
#27 Old 11-28-2012, 06:50 PM
G'day mate

HID technology isn't the same as halogen, so the reflectors at a little differently. You should have almost the same beam pattern.... which is actually a bad thing for HID. OEM HID systems utilize the HID's extra light to reach farther and wider than the halogen, so in effect, the light within the halogen footprint is still the same brightness. If you just replace the halogen with an HID, even if it's exactly the same pattern, it won't light up in front of you like HID should.
#28 Old 11-28-2012, 07:30 PM
Official TN Member

Ok. So there's a different telescopic projectors for the halogen and the HIDs?

I thought they were the same since they do look alike..

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

Highlander Limited AWD 2013 | Magnetic Gray Metallic / Camry XLE 2008 | Barcelona Red Metallic
#29 Old 11-28-2012, 07:40 PM
G'day mate

You got it! All projectors are different, some are very very different actually. They might appear the same in the head light, but they all light the road differently.
#30 Old 11-29-2012, 01:11 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold94corolla View Post
You got it! All projectors are different, some are very very different actually. They might appear the same in the head light, but they all light the road differently.
Ok. So if I do decide and just replace the stock halogens with the H11 HIDs, will it degrade my lighted area? if it would be just equal, then I am fine with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 2nd Generation (2008-2013)