Sunroof Noise - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 2nd Generation (2008-2013)

2nd Generation (2008-2013) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 2nd generation Toyota Highlanders.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View AdamsCL's Photo Gallery
USA Sunroof Noise

I recently opened the sunroof on my HL and discovered it is making a loud thud noise as it drops down before sliding back. It sounds like something is rubbing. It seems to raise and lower into the vent position fine and had no previous issues until now. For what it's worth, this is the first time it has been opened in roughly a year. I know I should probably open it more often, and I'm wondering if not opening it regularly may have caused this issue. Any thoughts from those who have experienced this would be appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $104700
View shellback's Photo Gallery
I had a similar problem on my "11" about a year ago. It was easliy resolved with an adjustment by the dealer. There was a timing/sychronization issue where the roof was starting to retract before it had lowered sufficiently. It has been trouble free since!
shellback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $238500
View mikmabz's Photo Gallery
Same with my 09. Dealership adjusted the moonroof for the third time already. It is better than before but still binds with the roof when I try to open it. I have to remind the service manager that it still needs a little fine tuning when I go there for the emblems of the tailgate.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

USA

Thank-you for the replies. I don't know if getting a new battery last week would have altered any of the sunroof settings. I want to get it repaired but I'm reluctant to have it looked at after reading that some have experienced small leaks or it had become worse after adjustment. Does the dealer have to drop the headliner to make adjustments? Thanks!
Old 11-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View DeWat's Photo Gallery
My '08's sunroof would "pop" like it was breaking loose from being hung up when opening during certain times of the year. I just can't remember if it was winter or summer, but it was climate related and would only happen during that season. If memory serves me correctly, that has been discussed here before.

EDIT: Just found one of the threads that I was referring to at Sunroof won't open....loud thud noise, but I thought there was a post somewhere where someone related it to climate, which put me at ease when I was hearing it.

Last edited by DeWat; 11-28-2012 at 04:56 PM.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View toytec's Photo Gallery
If you have disconnected the battery it needs to be initalized. Make sure the moon roof is fully closed, then turn on the ingition switch, push and hold the tilt up switch untill the moon roof reaches the full tilt up position then, release the switch. Push and hold the tilt up switch again. after approx.10 seconds moon roof will begin to initalize.hold switch on and the moon roof will tilt down, slide open, slide close and stop at the fully closed position. Thats it. your done. should work better now.
toytec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $449827
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
View LoudCamry's Photo Gallery
My roof make a pooping noise once in awhile.
LoudCamry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 01:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $238500
View mikmabz's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamsCL View Post
Thank-you for the replies. I don't know if getting a new battery last week would have altered any of the sunroof settings. I want to get it repaired but I'm reluctant to have it looked at after reading that some have experienced small leaks or it had become worse after adjustment. Does the dealer have to drop the headliner to make adjustments? Thanks!
I am not really sure if they did drop the headliner. I will ask the service manager next time and I will let you know.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toytec View Post
If you have disconnected the battery it needs to be initalized. Make sure the moon roof is fully closed, then turn on the ingition switch, push and hold the tilt up switch untill the moon roof reaches the full tilt up position then, release the switch. Push and hold the tilt up switch again. after approx.10 seconds moon roof will begin to initalize.hold switch on and the moon roof will tilt down, slide open, slide close and stop at the fully closed position. Thats it. your done. should work better now.
Thanks for all the replies! I will try the above mentioned process and see if it fixes the problem.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
New TN User

View adamkpl's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toytec View Post
Just tried that in my 08 and still experiencing the same loud thud noise when it slides in
adamkpl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 2nd Generation (2008-2013)