OEM Highlander radio connections - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2008-2013) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 2nd generation Toyota Highlanders.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-13-2013, 12:40 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
OEM Highlander radio connections

I have a 2010 Highlander and just ordered a newer OEM radio online.
The new radio isn't the nav screen but has a lot better display than the one that came with my hl.
The new radio has two extra connections and I was wondering if anyone would help me out to what these connections are for. I would think that one of them is for the USB which I don't have and could live without.

The connections in question are the top two.

Hopefully this pic comes out below as to this is my first try.

Thanks,
Brad

Last edited by blarose; 03-13-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-13-2013, 12:53 AM
Resident Nutcase

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Thanked 1,177 Times in 936 Posts
What year did the new radio come out of?

Click Here for the Full List of Mods Done to My Highlander ---->>> 2008 FWD Highlander Limited
#3 Old 03-13-2013, 12:57 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeneyp View Post
What year did the new radio come out of?
Dealership said it was pulled out of a 2011 HL. They upgraded the HL to the Nav and listed this one on Ebay.
#4 Old 03-13-2013, 01:05 AM
Resident Nutcase

The top right one is your bluetooth mic connections. The blue should be the satellite antenna .

Now on the bottom row, the 2nd white one from the left. That should be empty. Unless you have the rear entertainment system, there shouldn't be a plug for that. Especially considering the new 2011+ headunit uses that connector for the multimedia ECU. USB is controlled by that ECU so you won't have that.

Click Here for the Full List of Mods Done to My Highlander ---->>> 2008 FWD Highlander Limited
#5 Old 03-13-2013, 11:55 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeneyp View Post
The top right one is your bluetooth mic connections. The blue should be the satellite antenna .

Now on the bottom row, the 2nd white one from the left. That should be empty. Unless you have the rear entertainment system, there shouldn't be a plug for that. Especially considering the new 2011+ headunit uses that connector for the multimedia ECU. USB is controlled by that ECU so you won't have that.

Thanks!

That leads me to a few more questions.
Will it have bluetooth audio streaming from phone if I don't connect mic to bluetooth port?
Where can I find a bluetooth mic that does connect to the port in case I do want to talk on phone via head unit?

I do have after market Audiovox Advent flipdown rear entertainment. I ran the audio out to the aux port on the front. Is there an adapter that goes from rca to the rear entertainment port on the head unit?

Don't care much about the satellite, but what are my options to have that added?

Since this unit is coming from Canada is there anything I should be aware of that might be set up different? Not sure if the radio freqs would be the same as here or anything else

Thanks!
Brad
#6 Old 03-13-2013, 06:53 PM
New TN User

I'm watching this thread with keen interest. I too have a 2010 base HL and bought the exact same head unit as the OP (pulled from a 2012).

Sweeney; any caveats or tricks to swapping the old model out for a new one?

Thanks in advance,
Asif

2011 BMW M3
2010 Toyota Highlander
2007 BMW 335i
1999 Honda CRV
#7 Old 03-13-2013, 08:01 PM
Resident Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by blarose View Post
Will it have bluetooth audio streaming from phone if I don't connect mic to bluetooth port?
The Bluetooth antenna is built into the headunit (assuming that headunit is Bluetooth enabled, I'm not positive it is). Its not external, so it will work without the mic for bluetooth streaming. If you call somebody via Bluetooth, that's when you will run into an issue.

Quote:
Where can I find a bluetooth mic that does connect to the port in case I do want to talk on phone via head unit?
Did your old one have it? If not things get tricky. Now one thing, I don't know if this will work, I'm purely speculating at this point. You could try to get a external mic (One of These), cut off its connector, and wire the wires to the back of the headunit to the appropriate pin. Again, I have zero idea if that would work.

Quote:
I do have after market Audiovox Advent flipdown rear entertainment. I ran the audio out to the aux port on the front. Is there an adapter that goes from rca to the rear entertainment port on the head unit?
Basically, just keep doing it the way you are, while there are audio inputs on the rear of the headunit, for them to work, there needs to be additional signal wires between the OEM player and the headunit. The easiest way is to keep doing it the way you are.

Quote:
Don't care much about the satellite, but what are my options to have that added?
I don't know for sure. I think the tuner is built-in the headunit and you just plug in the antenna, I know on 08-10 you have to have an external tuner though.

Quote:
Since this unit is coming from Canada is there anything I should be aware of that might be set up different? Not sure if the radio freqs would be the same as here or anything else
I have no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEXTC View Post
I'm watching this thread with keen interest. I too have a 2010 base HL and bought the exact same head unit as the OP (pulled from a 2012).

Thanks in advance,
Asif
physically its the same, just a few wiring differences for different standard features on the new one vs the old one (like the blue tooth mic). You have any Q's in particular?

#8 Old 03-13-2013, 08:48 PM
New TN User

Quote:

Thanks in advance,
Asif
I did this swap in my 2010 HL using the same updated stereo. The blue connector is for the satellite antenna. My 2010 was wired with the XM receiver under the drivers seat. The satellite wire is behind the dash, has an inline connector that you disconnect and then put in your new hu. I transferred the unit number with XM and it works great.
Bluetooth will not stream since you have no existing connections to lead into the new hu. It was cost prohibitive so I didn't add Bluetooth. I like the new hu,, lighted display, better presets and a seamless installation.
Good luck with your swap, you will be happy you did it !
#9 Old 03-13-2013, 09:52 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
They sell on ebay a BT adapter which uses the toyota interface
You have to search for it
I was unable to put the link here with my ipad

Last edited by cutienoua; 03-13-2013 at 09:53 PM.
#10 Old 03-13-2013, 10:16 PM
New TN User

Thanks for all your feedback fellas; really helps.

Brad; Too bad; my unit is coming from the US and I'm in Canada. I'm sure shipping would have been cheaper had we bought from opposite vendors! That being said, you won't have a problem with tuner frequencies. They are the same here as they are down south.

Sweeney et. al: I guess my only remaining questions are these:
-On the image that Brad (OP) has posted, there are two "banks" of connectors lower than the two that Brad has arrows pointed to. Will my "base" unit have enough connectors to plug into these two banks? I guess I'm asking if this is a simple "plug and play operation"?

-With your help in another post Sweeney, I was able to remove most of the console upto and including the HVAC assembly (thank-you for that). Above the HVAC assembly is the radio assembly. Any tips/tricks in removing that? Is it pull out just like the HVAC or are there any screws that need removing?

Many thanks again. I find the people here so amenable and helpful unlike some of the other forums I belong to (see signature for clues!!)

Thanks
Asif

2011 BMW M3
2010 Toyota Highlander
2007 BMW 335i
1999 Honda CRV
#11 Old 03-14-2013, 12:04 AM
Resident Nutcase

Quote:
T
Sweeney et. al: I guess my only remaining questions are these:
-On the image that Brad (OP) has posted, there are two "banks" of connectors lower than the two that Brad has arrows pointed to. Will my "base" unit have enough connectors to plug into these two banks? I guess I'm asking if this is a simple "plug and play operation"?
In short, yes

Ok here are the sockets from left to right on the bottom on the 2011+ model shown:
E3: Steering wheel controls, aux in, speed wire
E16: (ON 08-10) Rear DVD player, (ON 11+) Multimedia ECU
E8: 12v+, ACC, GND, Front L/R speakers, antenna amplifier
E9: Rear L/R speakers

Just ignore E16, it won't effect an install unless you have the OEM rear dvd player, then it loses its ability to work with the radio.

The top row on the right is:
E32 (2011+ ONLY): bluetooth mic wires

Basically all the wires go to the same socket/same pins except for E16 and E32. It should be totally plug-n-play. Those 2 sockets aren't necessary for radio function.
Quote:
-With your help in another post Sweeney, I was able to remove most of the console upto and including the HVAC assembly (thank-you for that). Above the HVAC assembly is the radio assembly. Any tips/tricks in removing that? Is it pull out just like the HVAC or are there any screws that need removing?
Well you already did 1/3 the radio removal by removing the HVAC controls. So do that again, then there are 2 AC vents above the radio. They are one panel, that needs removing. I can usually just grab it tight enough to pull it straight out with my hands, but if you can't get enough grip, you can use a small flat head screwdriver to wedge between it and the dash and force it out (READ THIS: make sure you put electrical (or some kind of) tape over the screwdriver, otherwise you WILL damage/scuff up the dash). It comes out by pulling it straight away from the dash. Then the radio is held in with 4 10mm bolts, 2 above the radio and 2 below. Remove those (they are obvious) and the radio slides out like the HVAC controls did.

More info here: DIY Radio and Subwoofer Install in 2009 Toyota Highlander

#12 Old 03-14-2013, 09:29 AM
New TN User

Sweeney; too bad you're so far away. I'd buy you a beer if you were closer.

Many thanks! I will keep you posted.

Asif

2011 BMW M3
2010 Toyota Highlander
2007 BMW 335i
1999 Honda CRV
#13 Old 03-14-2013, 06:01 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSaysDoh View Post
I did this swap in my 2010 HL using the same updated stereo. The blue connector is for the satellite antenna. My 2010 was wired with the XM receiver under the drivers seat. The satellite wire is behind the dash, has an inline connector that you disconnect and then put in your new hu. I transferred the unit number with XM and it works great.
Bluetooth will not stream since you have no existing connections to lead into the new hu. It was cost prohibitive so I didn't add Bluetooth. I like the new hu,, lighted display, better presets and a seamless installation.
Good luck with your swap, you will be happy you did it !
When you say bluetooth will not stream do you mean just the phone call portion or all of the bluetooth capabilities? I thought the specs listed it as having internal bluetooth so I figured I could still stream music but not talk without the mic.

What is the bluetooth adapter for mentioned in an earlier post? Is that needed if the radio already has bluetooth?

Really what I am looking for is the mic wire that connects to the radio so I can use all the functionalities. Maybe this is gonna be too much work if its not just a straight shot from the mic to the head unit.
#14 Old 03-18-2013, 12:32 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks cutienoua, I found some Bluetooth adapters online.

Is the factory Toyota bt called blu-logic?

Anybody completed this install and have any suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance,
Brad
#15 Old 03-18-2013, 08:44 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks cutienoua, I found some Bluetooth adapters online.

Is the factory Toyota bt called blu-logic?

Anybody completed this install and have any suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance,
Brad
I don t recall the brand but if the description says it uses the toyota harness it s all good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 2nd Generation (2008-2013)