Mic/wiring/buttons for bluetooth on OEM Highlander radio - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2008-2013) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 2nd generation Toyota Highlanders.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-23-2013, 06:52 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Mic/wiring/buttons for bluetooth on OEM Highlander radio

Come on bluetooth!

Hopefully there is a radio guru on here that knows a way to accomplish the following:
I have a 2010 Base Highlander with an upgraded 2011 OEM base radio, p/n:86120-0E380-C0
The HL isn't bluetooth ready, no mic nor buttons on the steering wheel.
I am looking for the necessary components to hook up to the radios E32 port for the bluetooth functionality. I can run the mic and have an empty bay in the center console and dash to install the command buttons for the bt. I have been calling parts stores and dealerships trying to find a way with no luck.

Other option is to install the dealer's Blu-Logic Toyota interface. This comes with the switch buttons to install in the empty slots on the dash or center console. It also comes with the bluetooth interface, mic, and necessary wiring. I am trying to avoid this as to I have heard it creates a conflict with head units that already have bluetooth capabilities. Also, it only plays audio on front speakers which is ok for handsfree talking but not streaming audio. Maybe there is a way I can use the mic and button from this and bypass the bluetooth interface and go straight into the head unit.

Thanks in advance!
Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-24-2013, 01:52 AM
Resident Nutcase

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thanked 1,109 Times in 876 Posts
I have no idea where you can get the OEM mic. Its kinda built into the map light cluster. Maybe you can find a junkyard and salvage one from a used HL. It will have 3 wires, you should be able to run them down to the headunit from there.

The button on the other hand is downright tricky. It is handled by 3 wires. They run to a network of resistors that is controlled by the steering wheel switches. The radio recognizes which button is pressed by what voltage it reads leaving that network. Its not something that can be done with a simple 12v switch. I have the specific voltage measurements needed for the 08-10 headunit, but I don't have one for the 2011. It could be the same, but I can't be sure. You could use resistors and build a simple voltage divider circuit to emulate it though.

Click Here for the Full List of Mods Done to My Highlander ---->>> 2008 FWD Highlander Limited
#3 Old 03-24-2013, 05:56 AM
Official TN Member

Just to add my two cents...I had the blu logic Bluetooth installed in my hybrid. Had the "Econ mode" button moved to the spot where the TPMS button would normally go(my '09 didn't have one so it was an empty spot). That left a spot for the phone controls in the centre console. Very convenient because I use it often. The mic was installed on top of the steering column.

I know that's not exactly what you were asking, but just thought I'd share my experience.

By the way, the system works very well, connects immediately upon start-up and sound quality is good.

Dealer installed for about $450 after tax and extra labour for moving the switch.

A little expensive, but worth it to me, since I use it a lot, and plan on keeping the car for a long while.

2009 Highlander Hybrid
2008 CRV
#4 Old 03-25-2013, 07:39 AM
New TN User

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 2nd Generation (2008-2013)