2013 Bumpers Paint Peeling! - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2008-2013) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 2nd generation Toyota Highlanders.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-22-2013, 05:08 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2013 Bumpers Paint Peeling!

Well, I noticed a bubble underneath the clear bra on the front of the HL bumper. I pulled back a corner ever so slightly and the damn paint peeled right off the bumper! Now I know these are plastic bumper covers, but holy crap, has anyone else had paint come off so easily?

I checked the back after this and saw paint chipping off both sides of the back bumper cover where it meets the wheel well as well!

I am going to take it to the dealer ASAP! The car only has 1000 miles on it and is 1 month old. I don't think they used enough primer on them. This is totally f-in ridiculous and pisses me off!!!

2013 Toyota Camry SE V6 - Barcelona Red

2013 Toyota Highlander FWD Limited - Blizzard Pearl

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-22-2013, 09:45 PM
CLANNAD

Ouch, well hopefully it isn't vandals going around doing that to your cars. Where I live, they like to randomly carve things into your car.
#3 Old 07-23-2013, 07:54 AM
Resident Nutcase

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Thanked 1,117 Times in 881 Posts
Mine's been doing that for awhile in the corner of the bumper cover and I've been repainting it for awhile. Having said that, no new car should be doing that.

I've found the bumper cover rubbing on the metal car panels can make it start to come off.

Click Here for the Full List of Mods Done to My Highlander ---->>> 2008 FWD Highlander Limited
#4 Old 07-23-2013, 04:19 PM
New TN User

My 2013 has precisely the same issue on the back bumper (noted it at delivery)... Sad for new car to have issues like this...
#5 Old 07-25-2013, 07:05 AM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Wow! I can't believe paint is peeling off of these bumpers.

I took it to the dealer and they said they would re-paint the back, but not the front. They claimed the front was "burned" by the guy that put on the clear bra and that was causing the paint to peel off. I called BS on that. I sent them the manufacturers installation instructions for the clear bra (Xpel Ultimate) where it does not mention any type of heat application at all. They have yet to reply. They said the Toyota rep has to approve repairs on paint and his decision would be final. Looks like I am going to have a fight on my hands!

#6 Old 07-25-2013, 08:33 AM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdogbyo View Post
Wow! I can't believe paint is peeling off of these bumpers.

I took it to the dealer and they said they would re-paint the back, but not the front. They claimed the front was "burned" by the guy that put on the clear bra and that was causing the paint to peel off. I called BS on that. I sent them the manufacturers installation instructions for the clear bra (Xpel Ultimate) where it does not mention any type of heat application at all. They have yet to reply. They said the Toyota rep has to approve repairs on paint and his decision would be final. Looks like I am going to have a fight on my hands!
Jdogbyo,
Try a different dealer to get the warranty claim for the front. The other option is to bypass the dealer and talk to Toyota area manager directly. Ultimately, it's up to Toyota to approve the warranty claim. Dealers are simply Toyota's 1st line of "defense"

Good luck!
#7 Old 07-25-2013, 07:10 PM
Trd racer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Get the southeast flares I love mine but ours hasn't ever done this for a 2011 we purchased new. Yes Toyota paint is thin i've noticed it within my white tundra as well it's just something we have to deal with sadly.

I had ours xpel as well and I've never seen Toyota blame this product period There is very little heat application on this process. I had Lexus Replace my mom Headlight's just a few week's ago the interior headlight near the led's had bubbling going on so shit happens and lexus also provided the Xpel on the headlights again too. I'm pretty picky when it comes to details hell I found hail damages on my new Highlander and the dealership had it all fixed up. When you pay Toyota Quality I damn well expect them to cover problems.

Last edited by tundrav8yamaha; 07-25-2013 at 07:37 PM.
#8 Old 07-28-2013, 08:33 AM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Well, I heard from the dealer on Friday and they are going to re-paint both bumpers as well as cover the re-installation of the clear bra!!! I think my last e-mail with the XPEL installation instructions took away their "burned paint" claim.

I am relieved since the quote I received to paint the front and back bumper covers was $1,200 (apparently due to the Blizzard Pearl paint) and at least $250 to re-do the XPEL. It is a little disheartening though, to have to repaint both bumpers on a car with 1000 miles on it. Hopefully, this paint job is better than the first!

#9 Old 07-28-2013, 09:28 AM
Trd racer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdogbyo View Post
Well, I heard from the dealer on Friday and they are going to re-paint both bumpers as well as cover the re-installation of the clear bra!!! I think my last e-mail with the XPEL installation instructions took away their "burned paint" claim.

I am relieved since the quote I received to paint the front and back bumper covers was $1,200 (apparently due to the Blizzard Pearl paint) and at least $250 to re-do the XPEL. It is a little disheartening though, to have to repaint both bumpers on a car with 1000 miles on it. Hopefully, this paint job is better than the first!

Unfortunately It's going to happen again and it appears to me like a Design flaw from toyota's end on the plastic rear and front bumper having such a tight tolerance moving back and forth very likely explains why the all new 2014 Highlander has changed it's design on the rear. Toyota paint is thin it's something you have already taken measures on with Xpel to protect. If i was in your shoes I would talk Toyota into the flares and be done with it these cover up those line area's and make the Highlander much better look wise.

About the repaint make sure it's blended well sometimes these colors have a mismatch esp when you go from plastic against thin Toyota body panels (my body shop guy did great on my wheel flares). I know a lot about body work used to work that sector a very long time ago Hell My Tundra's front bumper is Line X Body color never have to wax it or worry about dent's.

Last edited by tundrav8yamaha; 07-28-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 2nd Generation (2008-2013)