Steering Wheel Controls on OEM 2-Dim Kenwood Navi - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2008-2013) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 2nd generation Toyota Highlanders.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-06-2014, 10:47 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
USA Steering Wheel Controls on OEM 2-Dim Kenwood Navi

Hi all,

My first post and I need help. I bought a Kenwood DNX570HD 2-Din Navi for my 2012 Toyota Highlander with standard radio. The installer was able to install the radio with no problem except he couldn't get the steering wheel controls to work. No big deal for me. Here's the problem, the DISP button doesn't work now and I can't change the display on the diagnostic screen above the radio. The problem will be when I get an oil change and the tech tries to reset the oil maintenance warning on my screen. Is there any way to get just that button to work? It appears when the installer disconnected the steering wheel controls from the back of the stock radio this had some kind of effect on the DISP Button function. Right now the wires from the steering wheel control buttons are just sitting disconnected behind the radio (not plugged in). Any suggestions on how to get the DISP Button to work? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-06-2014, 10:57 AM
Resident Nutcase

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Thanked 1,161 Times in 921 Posts
There might be a way to fix it, do you have AC controls on your steering wheel? If not the OEM radio powered the buttons. You might be able to jimmy-rig something to make it work.

Click Here for the Full List of Mods Done to My Highlander ---->>> 2008 FWD Highlander Limited
#3 Old 01-06-2014, 11:00 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
No AC controls on the steering wheel.
#4 Old 01-06-2014, 11:03 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)

This is what my steering wheel looks like. The DISP is the button on the right side of the steering wheel. Below the DISP button is my mute button. This picture doesn't show that.
#5 Old 01-06-2014, 11:08 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)

Here is a better picture of the exact system I had in my truck. I'll try to get a picture later of the new system installed.
#6 Old 01-06-2014, 11:12 AM
Resident Nutcase

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Thanked 1,161 Times in 921 Posts
Awesome, then you should be able to fix it.

Basically the gauge cluster is an ECU that controls the small screen. It gives the DSP switch ~5V and a wire runs to the OEM radio (or AC module if you have steering wheel AC controls) to be grounded. SO, its as simple as grounding a single wire, that should get you your disp button back.

You need to get behind your radio, and find this connector:

It used to plug into your OEM radio.

If you look at pin 6, you should see a black wire. That is the wire that needs to be grounded 24/7 for the disp button to work. Before you go permanently cutting something, stick a wire into the back of the socket so that it makes a connection and hold the other end to metal somewhere on the car to test it. If it works (it should) then make the permanent connection.

Click Here for the Full List of Mods Done to My Highlander ---->>> 2008 FWD Highlander Limited
#7 Old 01-06-2014, 11:38 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmachnick View Post
The installer was able to install the radio with no problem except he couldn't get the steering wheel controls to work.
Do you know what the installer did in an attempt to get your steering wheel controls to work? Did he install something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Axxess-ASWC-1-Universal-Interface-Connector/dp/B00B4PJC9K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389029837&sr=8-1&keywords=axxess+aswc-1 http://www.amazon.com/Axxess-ASWC-1-Universal-Interface-Connector/dp/B00B4PJC9K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389029837&sr=8-1&keywords=axxess+aswc-1

That's what I used in my Subaru Impreza when I upgraded the head unit, so that my steering wheel controls would continue to function.

2013 HL Ltd. OEM mudflaps, bodyside molding, rubber floor mats, and a split cargo mat that allows you to raise half of the rear bench.
#8 Old 01-06-2014, 01:19 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeneyp View Post
Awesome, then you should be able to fix it.

Basically the gauge cluster is an ECU that controls the small screen. It gives the DSP switch ~5V and a wire runs to the OEM radio (or AC module if you have steering wheel AC controls) to be grounded. SO, its as simple as grounding a single wire, that should get you your disp button back.

You need to get behind your radio, and find this connector:

It used to plug into your OEM radio.

If you look at pin 6, you should see a black wire. That is the wire that needs to be grounded 24/7 for the disp button to work. Before you go permanently cutting something, stick a wire into the back of the socket so that it makes a connection and hold the other end to metal somewhere on the car to test it. If it works (it should) then make the permanent connection.
Thanks for this information. When I go back to the installer, I'll have him try this.
#9 Old 01-06-2014, 01:20 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
Do you know what the installer did in an attempt to get your steering wheel controls to work? Did he install something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Axxess-ASWC-1-...=axxess+aswc-1

That's what I used in my Subaru Impreza when I upgraded the head unit, so that my steering wheel controls would continue to function.
He did try this and I even called Metra and spoke with a tech there. It should have worked for me but it didn't. Not sure why.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 2nd Generation (2008-2013)