Toyota Nation Forum banner

2008 Highlander Limited - Car Alarm Randomly Going Off

28K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  chaz86 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2008 Highlander Limited that is suffering from the same issue as what is posted in the "common questions" sticky at the top. One of the solutions mentioned is to disconnect the hood latch sensor from the car. Are there any tutorials online for doing this? Also, will my wireless locking still work if I do it? Are there any other draw backs?

Thanks!
-Mike

#6 ·
Ah, just wasn't sure why you were gonna do that. That fuse block diagram doesn't look anything like the 2nd gen block. Anyway, your HL has 3 horns. A high horn and low horn for the horn button; then a security horn for the alarm. You simply need to pull the fuse for that security horn (separate fuse). its in the main engine compartment fuseblock, its labeled S-HORN and is 7.5A

#11 ·
I've been struggling with this on my preowned 2010 highlander for the last 2 years. I have taken it to my extended warranty service center (CarMax) and their diagnostics revealed no issue. I've also tried messing with the hood latch to make sure it's not making contact with the little sensor. I just removed the S-HORN fuse, and am hoping my alarm doesn't go off tonight. I pressed the distress button on the remote, which DOES still go off (perhaps connected to the HORN fuse instead?). To find it, open your hood and then the driver's side fuse box. On the underside of the fuse box cover, you will find 3 extra fuses, a fuse remover tool, and a diagram of all the fuses inside that box. Fingers crossed that the S-HORN fuse removal does the trick!

#7 ·
SP, where is the 'alarm' horn located on the 2nd gens? I am curious as I only see the regular horns that I replaced after getting my HL and hating the 'Road Runner' call!

#9 ·
Thanks for the 411! Now I'm gonna try to find it!

Funny thing, some guy in my neighborhood has a '13 Range Rover with the same problem - the alarm keeps going off sporadically. It really gets old after a while too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.