22RE auxiliary air valve trouble - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > Truck Archive

Truck Archive Older archived threads about Toyota trucks

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2004, 01:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View throttledoctor's Photo Gallery
USA 22RE auxiliary air valve trouble H E L P !!

PLEASE HELP IF YA CAN!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I HAVE A 1989 4X4 WITH A 22RE, THE IDLE HUNTS AFTER WARM UP, I HAVE REPLACED THE THROTTLE POS. SENSOR,+THE IDLE UNIT ,, NOW THE THEY TELL ME THAT THE "AUXILIARY AIR VALVE"IS SHOT AND IT WILL COST ABOUT $180 TO BUY A NEW ONE, THIS IS MY FIRST TOY AND I USE FOR OIL FIELD WORK, IT'S THE TOUGHEST TRUCK I'VE EVER HAD,.. CAN ANYONE HELP,CAN I BY-PASS IT OR SUMTHIN ANY SUGGESTIONS ?
THANKS AND REGARDS, THROTTLEDOCTOR.

Last edited by throttledoctor; 10-07-2004 at 01:43 PM.
throttledoctor is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2004, 05:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
NY born, Texas raised

View texas12's Photo Gallery
Idle hunting after warm up doesn't sound like the Aux Air Valve to me, but then again I am not sure. I was thinking about replacing my on a '86 4runner 22re. It revs the same cold or hot and if I pinch the line (not easy to do) it does not seem to affect idle. The stealer here in San Antonio wanted $208 for one. Where did you get the 10% discount? Maybe it is slightly different on yours. I cannot find one at all on the internet and don't trust one a pick-n-pull. It has an electrically heated bi-metal strip that slowly chokes off throttle body bypass air. It also has coolant lines attached so if the engine is hot, it will remain closed. Mine appears to be closed all the time (no cold start choke). I do not see how it could move back and forth and cause an erratic warm idle.
Did you try removing the idle adjustment screw and cleaning it and spraying some injector spray in that hole? The Aux air valve feeds that adjustment screw.
texas12 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2004, 03:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View qsd-dan's Photo Gallery
Hi,

I had the same problem with no change with the idle hot or cold. While inspecting the inside of the throtle body one day, I saw 2 or 3, (can't remember) passsages that lead to the air valve hose were plugged. Cleaned them out and it started working properly. Decided to do it again with carb cleaner without removing the hose, and my problem returned. I think my dumbass idea shorted the unit. Remove the hose while cleaning the passages.

Dan
qsd-dan is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2004, 05:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

View Crazzyboy's Photo Gallery
My 1990 22re does the same thing. It appears to rev from low idle to high idle just like you described. There isn't any obvious adverse affects on my truck that I've noticed so I just leave it. Sorry I cant help you, but I don't think it's entirely bad for your engine.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

View stelis's Photo Gallery
Try adjusting the air at the throttle , the little screw at the left. or turn in the air valve a little at a time, the one next to cold idle start.
stelis is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > Truck Archive