Toyota Nation Forum banner

Five Things You Need to Know About the 2016 Toyota Mirai

7K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  got-rice 
#1 ·

That zero emission future also comes with sustainability, meaning we can fuel our cars without relying on fossil fuels like oil. While the Mirai isn’t the first hydrogen fuel cell car to be offered for sale in the US, it has a number of important advancements in performance, availability and support. Before we go into what you need to know about the Mirai, lets start with how it works.

Basically, the car houses two tanks that can be filled with compressed Hydrogen gas. The Hydrogen passes through something called a Hydrogen fuel-cell stack, which adds Oxygen to the Hydrogen. This process creates electricity through a chemical reaction, which powers the front wheels. The only by-product is water, which comes out of the back of the car. It’s like having an electric generator in your car, but powered by hydrogen. In fact, the Mirai could act like a generator for your house in the case of an emergency, providing enough electricity to power the average household for a week.

Sound interesting? Then read on to find out more key details you should know about the Mirai.
Check out the full story to learn more about the 2016 Toyota Mirai

See less See more
#2 ·
I call BS on the "we can fuel our cars without relying on fossil fuels like oil". The hydrogen comes from breaking apart water, which takes electricity which comes mainly from ??? (A: mostly Fossil Fuels, some nuclear and very little renewable.) Then you have to compress it using some kind of fuel (hydrogen, electric, fossil fuel, etc. [hint: if you use hydrogen, that means you need to use more fossil fuel to break apart more water to use to compress the hydrogen]). There are no hydrogen "wells" where we get pure hydrogen directly, it's just too reactive to stay in its pure form given the conditions on Earth.

#11 ·
Seeing the photos in the review, I gotta say, count me in as one of the ones who likes the looks of it. I think it looks nice. The photo at the beginning of this thread does not do it justice, IMHO. Wouldn't mind seeing one in person to see if I still like the looks.

#14 ·
I think this is a great concept and the future of the industry, hybrids had a lot of naysayers when they first came out to, but almost 14 years later you cant drive to 7-11 without seeing one. The biggest hurdle that the automakers have to overcome is the refueling stations, even if they could produce enough FCV's to populate the roads the only places in the US that are going to have the re-fueling stations will be in the Northeast and the west coast, the rest of the country will take years to get the infrastructure set up. So if you don't live in one of those areas, it does not matter what it looks like because you won't be seeing any anytime soon. Buy a Pruis, you will still spend less on gas than almost anyone else on the road(excluding EV's), then by the time you are ready for your next car hopefully the technology will be more mainstream.

#15 ·
My issue is primarily with the marketing hype, or overhype, about how good this or that new technology is for the environment. I have no issues with any automaker introducing a hydrogen powered car or any other "clean emission" powered vehicle and my earlier comments were in no way intended to denigrate the car or technology iteself, only a commentary on the marketing hype.

#16 ·
i agree. this is such old hat....... It takes a TREMENDOUS amount of electricity to break water up into its elements, to make an equivent amount of Hydrogen to equate to a gallon of gas. In other words its less pollution to simply use gas, rather than use that gas to make electricity, to make hydrogen. There is so much energy wasted at each step. So unless someone comes up with a magical way to create free hydrogen without creating tonees of CO2 lets get on to the next idea. GreenShmear.

#22 ·
It's been on sale for awhile, and buzz for hybrids and fuel cell cars have been soft...

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2016/09/2017-toyota-mirai-pricing-announced-58-365.html
Qualified customers will be eligible for the Mirai trailblazer program that offers three choices to shoppers. There’s the Trailblazer lease set at $349 per month for 36 months with $2,499 due at signing with a 12,000 mile-per-year allowance. Those that wish to finance the Toyota Mirai can take advantage of the Trailblazer APR support that offers 0-percent APR for 60 months or 1.9 percent for 72 months. Lastly, there’s the Trailblazer Purchase Support of $7,500.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.