Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
74 wagon build up

a brief history in pictures

where it sat for 10yrs unmoving

a good couple baths and some shop rollers, believe it or not it started with a lil brushing to the plugs and some fresh gas

lowered the back with some blocks...

lowered the front with some heat (note: DO NOT DO THIS it is extremely hard ta keep the car/springrate level. dont be a lazy ass like me and jus take the springs out and chop em) got some better offset rims for clearence

then i went to the junkyard and for about $120 i got a new: head liner, fender, chrome roof rack, back door with wiper, missing botom chrome strip, brake master cylinder and a new tail light housing with no dent

and now some spray paint...

a lil more and

voila

some specs on the car for the junky's

39,000 original miles
18-rc with a toyoglide 3speed auto
stock am stereo still works
starter interlock sys still works with no bugs (fingers crossed)
still has original gas cap
had original key but i lost it in a river on the fourth of july
has original koiyto (spelling) highbeams

Last edited by shonuff; 06-21-2008 at 12:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-18-2008, 02:27 AM
bilt not bot

(Thread Starter)

so i came across some cressida rims on craigslist for $90 with some "ok" tires. any way here are some pics :-D

b4

after

side shot

and it got a little lower bout 1.5in so i took a pic with a 20oz coffee cup. the same cup fit under the car with the stock style steelie's

for a year recap, drove fine all summer then i tried to re-attach the TV cable for the A42 and it went 40miles great then sounded like a baseball card in the spokes of a bicycle. sat for a few months then i yanked the whole thing and chucked it.

i ripped out the 18-rc and A42 out of the wagon and in its place i put a 2xr low compression hybrid (22r head 20r block) w/ the SC and a w58. 8)

i have the worlds crappyest header on there which i nicknamed "the bu++hole of doom" but it just came out of the garage yesterday, im gonna putt around with some safe settings ( 2.5 turns out on the carb and 0 deg timing) to break in the clutch and SC. and hopefully by the time thats done i can afford a doug thorley.

now some pics

and one lil vid for now, more soon when i have the time

loads more pics here http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...honuff/corona/
there is also a subfolder called "SC" with supercharger specific photos.

to be continued...
#3 Old 06-18-2008, 02:28 AM
bilt not bot

(Thread Starter)
this is a copy and past from another forum (www.celica-gts.com)

we now join our regular scheduled programming already in progress...

i knew it would but...

IT FITS!!!!

just slapped it in, its sitting on the 18R chassis mounts. the 20R's are about 1.5in shorter. im going to pull it back out tomorrow and change the mounts. it sure is nice to see that it fits just fine.

its hard to tell in this pic but there really is about 10in of clearance for the intake, the hump that looks like its 1in away is really 5in behind.

the big shocker is the ride height

b4 w/cast iron 18r n tranny

now w/2xr n w58

i already have heated the coils and collapsed 2 of em for the previous height. im gonna try cutting the collapsed coils off, and if that isnt enuff im gonna hack them springs just enuff to keep off the bump stops.

i also looks like i can move the eng back a bit, might get the T cover to be right in between the front wheels :o might end up handling like my celica.

but that still depends on the driveline, test fit is tomorrow, ran out of time tonight

note: i would of weighed the 18r vs 20r but my scale only goes to 300lbs

next day

progress report:

the driveline fits like a glove
sorry no pics i really was in the zone, besides the fact that its a HUGE PITA to line up the eng+tranny+car+driveline by your self. but really all i did was take the eng out separate the tranny and put a clutch in, then put it back in.

swapped in the new eng mounts, turns out i cant move it back the second holes would work with the 18r mounts as their taller but the angle is wrong. and the way the driveline fits id have to shorten it. not really caring about handling but it would a been nice, car still is boat load lighter and will be a F load faster, brakes are SO next on the list.

the shifter is a lil farther forward then id like it, but it looks like id only need ta cut about a inch to get the room i need, might need to bend the shifter a bit to clear the center consol but ill deal with that later.

i spent a good while F'n with the tranny x-member, the current combo is longer than the old one. i tried flipping the mount 180 on the x-mem but i was still looking a couple inches off. after i was told it was to late to work i noticed the eng was crooked. i didnt have any bolts in the mounts because wanted to be able to move the eng a bit just incase.

so ill find out tomorrow, if with a straight eng the stock x-member will fit.

artists conception of finished ride height

update

i tried all types of fanaglein, swearing, kicking, and 3 foreign languages. there is no way to use the oem tranny x-mem.

i even went to the parts store and it turns out that EVERY W series tranny uses the same freakin mount, and a good portion of the auto's too. i was hoping one of the mounts had the upper holes offset different (more) but no luck.

i will go more into the x-mem tomorrow because i couldnt get into my storage unit with my other x-mem's. unfortunatly this will be a custom 1 off bit, major pita with no welder or grinder in house.

so instead i will treat you to copius fitment pics of the SC

the intake does have 9+ inches of space thanks to the grooves in the chassis, but i didnt notice how in the back it gets down to about 1in away on the charger itself, im going to put a chain on the driver side just incase. i got a bad habit of breakin that mount. oh yea the eng is 100% bolted in, angle may be a lil off with the tranny still on a jack.

74 corona A42 x-mem

mk2/3 celi x-mem with the mount 180 on the x-mem

what i plan to do is bend the celi mount to match up with the weird driver side bend on the corona mount. if that doesnt work im gonna drink a beer and butcher both mounts to make 1 right one.

the trick im going for is the celi one has a arch to it, so you can mount the x-mem 180 to gain about a 1/2in then if you need more (W58 in mk2) you can flip the mount 180 for another .5in. the bolt holes are also "augered" so you can move it about a lil bit.

sometimes you need to stop what your doing, and go have a beer to make it work.

i was way to tired from 6am shoot times then working on my wagon till 10 so i called in sick to the wagon yesterday.

i came back today and put the car on ramps to make measuring and pictures easier. i was working under the car with this much room....

real men dont use jacks

anyway turns out the stock x-mem is different from a celica or 78 corona. the older (stock) one is longer plus the stupid bend.

so i put the mount back to the stock orientation then test bolted it to the tranny and looked @ the bolt holes and mounting plate closer. the stock holes are the 1 hole that lines up (front) and the next threaded hole.

then i got the stock x-member bolts, and dropped one, turns out its not much bigger then a beer cap :blink:

F it im gonna drill a hole and use a eng mount bolt/nut, it will be a lot stronger bolt then stock and then it will still technically be a bolt in.
aparently there is one F'n short ass tranny that "could" of come in this car :unsure:

gratuitous pic

check out how well the stock A42 driveline works with the W58

now onto the stock manifold tri-y fitment :thumbs:

dropped right in no probs

BOO

"clears" but its right on the "frame rail" and sits lower then the body line

a buddy of mine has a truck one and it looks like the down pipe is a lil different and he has 2 different down pipes (2 n 4wd) so hopefully one or the other will tuck perfectly in the frame rail.

and now.... carb fitment.

its on there 180, it will go on stock as im trying to hide all the wires except the plug wires. definitely gonna use a cable as i dont have the weber to toyota adapter and i cant afford one, plus the carb is setup for one.
yes i checked, the in-carb filter is clean

i think the filter might bump the hood on hard decel, but the up side is it looks like the carb might match up with the louvers.
cowl induction :thumbs:

and yes that tray will have to get trimmed a lil bit, but i refuse to throw it away as it is damm handy when your working on the car

the big round hole towards the back is for the tethered eng light, im just going to cut a new hole for it. the coil was mounted on the side for a 18r

note to anyone who's paying attention:

i havent set up the oil supply to the SC yet as im going to run and flush the eng before. i did not take very good care of this engine and i give it less then 3mo if that with boost, dont want any crap stuck inside to get to my almost new charger.

related thread on the oil setup here
im really thinking about routing it to the RAD as its got fittings for tranny cooling.

EXHAUST!!!!

its for blow'n

so i started out like this

mock bolted and made the highest cut i could

went and test fitted with the new cuts. decided that neither the older style (cut)or the newer, would line up how i want. or... id prolly spend 2 days cuting and welding to get it done and where i want it. the rest of the exhaust is a patch job so i decided to test fit this F'd up headman.

somebody has savagely attacked this header with a too much heat and a crapload too much bead, one of the runners had a hole burnt right through, daylight and stuff.

but... fits like a glove so my lowest points are crossmembers. it will "do" for now, ill make my stockish custom exhaust after i sell the ae86. i really want this thing on the F'n street.

:o

look what i managed to do with flux core

im not showing my repairs as they look like crap, hopefully its mostly quiet

its kinda like the yin/yang with the SC and the header

i got the starter in, carb bolted up, ready to fire.

it took a crapload of trys but i got a good pic out of my camera

unfortunatly today i found a F'd up prob i hadnt noticed...

see how the thermostat housing is clocked :huh:

right now im hoping i can cut a lower hose to work or maybe use the ghey metal bit that goes over the eng mount on the driver side in some cars.

i think there was supposed to be a special bit there, gonna call camden and ask if they have premade ones to fit :cross:

holy F

you can fit 50 images per post on this forum

so glad i found this place, all my cars in one forum

Last edited by shonuff; 06-21-2008 at 12:28 AM.
#4 Old 06-18-2008, 02:29 AM
bilt not bot

(Thread Starter)
im gonna need this one too
#5 Old 06-18-2008, 07:56 PM
Official TN Member

looking good! makes me wish i still have my corona hardtop. i think i still have a set of the usdm intrument cluster which has the oem tach somewhere around the house.
#6 Old 06-19-2008, 12:31 AM
bilt not bot

(Thread Starter)
how much for that cluster?
#7 Old 06-19-2008, 03:13 AM
Official TN Member

are you serious? you'd want to buy my set? i just figured you'd have easier access to finding a set there. but then again, it's a pretty old model. i'll look for the set 1st and post some pics then we can start from there.
#8 Old 06-19-2008, 05:35 PM
bilt not bot

(Thread Starter)
ya ive been looking for a stock tach ever since i got the wagon.

infact ive never seen one on ANY corona ive ever come across. the only model i havent seen yet is the 2 door coupe, and thats my only hope for ever finding a stock tach.
#9 Old 06-19-2008, 06:17 PM
Official TN Member

ok then, i'll start looking for the set that i have.
#10 Old 06-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Corona is gone.

I'll have to view pics at home, but it's good to see you guys back.

Bryan
86 Hilux LE (blue)
Other Toyotas : 79 Corona DLX sedan (Mint green), 89 Corolla DX sedan (wine), 88 Camry V6 LE sedan (blk), 86 Hilux std bed (wine), 82 Celica GT hatchback (bwn), 78 Celica GT coupe (slvr), 76 Corolla SR-5 coupe (wht)
#11 Old 06-21-2008, 12:40 AM
bilt not bot

(Thread Starter)
never went anywhere

people jus stopped posting

so i thought i throw up my build up in a condensed form. been meaning to do this for a while as the whole build up is scattered all over the net

now its in one handy easy to find location

in case you didnt notice post #3 is now full, i have a boat load more to tell about it and im not even done yet,

with the 50 pic per post allowetment i can prolly fit the whole build in the top 4 posts, watch for edits there and ill bump it too
#12 Old 06-24-2008, 11:26 AM
Corona is gone.

Great! Well I know this forum is low traffic, given a discontinued model. So we have to depend on the few members we have to make something out of this place. I've tried to do with with the two official threads, the blog and gallery. But I can't do it alone. Help!

Bryan
86 Hilux LE (blue)
Other Toyotas : 79 Corona DLX sedan (Mint green), 89 Corolla DX sedan (wine), 88 Camry V6 LE sedan (blk), 86 Hilux std bed (wine), 82 Celica GT hatchback (bwn), 78 Celica GT coupe (slvr), 76 Corolla SR-5 coupe (wht)
#13 Old 06-24-2008, 03:25 PM
Official TN Member

good news for shonuff. i found the instrument cluster set that mentionedto you here. will post up some pics soon.
#14 Old 06-02-2009, 12:40 AM
bilt not bot

(Thread Starter)
some updates

swapped the carb out for a different one that came off a turbo 22r, redid the throttle linkage. runs 100% better

noticed that my lower hose was bulging pretty good, and looked close to poping. so i ripped the thermostat out and saw it was all covered in a gunky rusty paste looking crap then threw it in a pot of boiling water for a while. never opened, so i rodded out the valve and stuck it back in. now during hard driving im seeing temps around 170, which is better but its still overheating a bit. i really need a A/F gauge, gonna try to not drive it that much till i get one and learn how to use it.

then i headed to my garage with the plan of tearing into the parts truck, and instead pulled out the heated springs from the wagon. can anyone else tell this was a bad idea?

threw in some other springs after i cut 3 coils off, then headed to the free wall to snap a few pics.

this one is from a couple weeks ago

these are from today, lil lower up front and i got my rake back :shades:

#15 Old 06-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Official TN Member

very very cool project, you just got to love these old toyota's. Keep up the good work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corona Forum