LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-16-2008, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Moanin' Corona

I have an '80 Corona Deluxe that my daughter drives. The power steering has been doing a lot of moaning lately, particularly when cold, so I replaced the pump with a rebuild and flushed the system till the fluid ran clear. The problem is that the steering continues to make the moan-and-groan sound typical of a system low on fluid, even though it's topped off. The sound increases with engine revs and steering wheel rotation. What I'm wondering is if there's anything specific to the Corona that would aggravate the problem? I'm suspicious there may be air trapped in the fluid cooler (better term?) or the new pump, in which case, how best to get it out? I've done the basic bleed procedure of turning the wheel back and forth but haven't seen any improvement. My Clymer manual hardly addresses the PS system.

Thanks to all for looking -- any assistance in debugging this bugger is GREATLY appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Corona is gone.

I have the exact same problem and was wondering if pump replacement was a solution. Guess it's not. I hope someone more knowledgeable shows up, because I'm not sure what else it could be.

Bryan
86 Hilux LE (blue)
Other Toyotas : 79 Corona DLX sedan (Mint green), 89 Corolla DX sedan (wine), 88 Camry V6 LE sedan (blk), 86 Hilux std bed (wine), 82 Celica GT hatchback (bwn), 78 Celica GT coupe (slvr), 76 Corolla SR-5 coupe (wht)
#3 Old 11-21-2008, 01:53 PM

(Thread Starter)
Sorry to hear we share the problem, Bryan -- but I appreciate the company! Seems like that should improve our odds of finding a solution.

I've opened a similar thread on the Hardcore Tech and Competition forum (hope double-posting is OK!) and had no response there either. I'm a newbie, so let me know if there's a better generic tech discussion area.

I'll keep looking off-forum also and will post with anything worthwhile.
#4 Old 11-22-2008, 02:10 PM
bilt not bot

moaning is typical of low fluid or low flow. too long of either can damage the pump and it will always moan.

another thing to check is the filter screen in the bottom of the resivour, its fairly common for it to become clogged.

it could also be air trapped in the system. the proper way to bleed a yota PS system is to get the front wheels off the ground, start the car and turn from lock to lock 30-50 times. dont force it at lock just turn till it stops then go the other way.
#5 Old 11-23-2008, 03:31 PM

(Thread Starter)
I think you're on to something here, shonuff. I pulled off the reservoir (basically a crimp-sealed metal "can" with a lid) to get a better look inside and found **pieces** of what was once a screen at the bottom. I'm reading this to mean that there may be other bits of screen clogging circulation elsewhere in the system -- new pump, lines, steering box. Since the screen is already mangled, I have no idea what it should look like and can't tell if any of it's missing. How and where was it supposed to be attached, anyway?

Guess I get to drain and dismantle the whole freakin' system. Oh joy.
#6 Old 11-23-2008, 08:36 PM

(Thread Starter)
Back to square one. I pulled the lines loose and blew them out but didn't find any screen or blockage. Put the pieces back together, bled the system, cycled the steering with the car on stands **at least** 50 times and noticed no difference in the groaning sound from cycle #1 to #last. On the ground, the car pretty much sounds as it did before.

The groaning is definitely coming from the pump vicinity, not the steering box. Guess I could try yet another pump . . .

Last edited by fantum; 11-23-2008 at 08:37 PM.
#7 Old 11-24-2008, 12:48 AM
bilt not bot

it could also be the fluid, yota's are supposed to run type F tranny fluid in the PS

ive heard that PS fluid could make it groan, i use PS fluid and i have a lil groan but nothing major.

does kinda sound like the pump might have issues. a lil bit of screen could really F the pump i bet.
#8 Old 11-24-2008, 09:06 AM

(Thread Starter)
I'm using a Dexron-type ATF, which should comply with the recommendation. Should be plenty fresh at this point, too.
#9 Old 11-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
ALL Toyota power steering pumps - from the 1973 Toyota Corona Mark II to the 2009 Toyota Camry take DEXRON Automatic Transmission Fluid.

Type F fluid is solely for the 1982 and earlier Toyota automatic transmissions,
never for a Toyota power steering system.
#10 Old 11-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I have had similar noise in my 79 Supra; turned out to be the high pressure hose bracket was lose and transmitted vibration to the car, which show up as noise.
#11 Old 11-27-2008, 02:32 PM
bilt not bot

im learned now on the fluid thanks, i was told that by somebody and never verified it myself.
#12 Old 11-28-2008, 01:53 PM
Corona is gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonuff View Post
it could also be the fluid, yota's are supposed to run type F tranny fluid in the PS

ive heard that PS fluid could make it groan, i use PS fluid and i have a lil groan but nothing major.

does kinda sound like the pump might have issues. a lil bit of screen could really F the pump i bet.
The book says Dextron.

Bryan
86 Hilux LE (blue)
Other Toyotas : 79 Corona DLX sedan (Mint green), 89 Corolla DX sedan (wine), 88 Camry V6 LE sedan (blk), 86 Hilux std bed (wine), 82 Celica GT hatchback (bwn), 78 Celica GT coupe (slvr), 76 Corolla SR-5 coupe (wht)
#13 Old 12-10-2008, 06:13 PM

(Thread Starter)
To update: I just replaced all the original hoses in hopes there was a leak somewhere. While I had the system apart, I tried to snake-out the "cooler" section of tubing in front of the radiator in case there was a blockage. Problem here was that no matter what size wire I used, I couldn't get it around the bend and out the other end. With everything back together, I filled the system (threw in a bottle of steering additive), bled it thoroughly . . .

AND IT STILL MAKES THE SAME NOISE

I'm thinking steering box now, maybe having some resistance or restriction that's straining the pump and causing the groaning. But when the car was on stands, I checked the steering action before and after filling the system and nothing seemed odd. I'm also wondering if resistance somewhere in the steering linkage (ball joint, etc.) could make the pump strain and complain?

Last edited by fantum; 12-10-2008 at 06:15 PM.
#14 Old 12-14-2008, 06:43 PM
Corona is gone.

Thanks, don't know what to say. Mine hasn't changed either.

Bryan
86 Hilux LE (blue)
#15 Old 12-15-2008, 01:35 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
You may try trans-x "tranny tune" up fluid
Also rotate the drive belt 180 degrees to change its direction of rotation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corona Forum