How do you price a Corona? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corona Forum

Corona Forum Specific discussion of the Toyota Corona

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2009, 08:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
You asked for it...

Gameroom cash: $107500
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View azcorolla's Photo Gallery
How do you price a Corona?

Anyone with an opinion on this?

I'm going to look at a 77 Corona tomorrow, supposedly 47K miles, 5 speed, new clutch and carb overhauled, and in great shape inside and out, with the exception of the headliner, a split driver seat and a leaky power steering pump. Never owned one of these (had a 76 Corolla Liftback, once,though) , but it sounds like a fun, and hopefully dependable old car.

What would be a fair price for something lilke that?

I know, it depends on what you're williing to pay, but if it were YOU, what would be a good price range?
azcorolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2009, 06:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Corona is gone.

Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View 79Corona's Photo Gallery
A price is hard to recommend without seeing the car. Headliner is $100 and seat recover is probably $250. Does the power steering pump making any noise? It will be difficult to get body parts, drive train parts no problem usually. If it needs shocks, brakes, etc all wear parts, exhaust.....expect to spend a $1000 quickly.
Other Toyotas : 79 Corona DLX sedan (Mint green), 89 Corolla DX sedan (wine), 88 Camry V6 LE sedan (blk), 86 Hilux std bed (wine), 82 Celica GT hatchback (bwn), 78 Celica GT coupe (slvr), 76 Corolla SR-5 coupe (wht)
79Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
You asked for it...

Thanks for the response. I wouldn't mind a few bucks for a headliner or seat cover, but don't want to be stuck putting another $1K in it.

I went to see it, drove it, but didn't buy it. It seemed to be in pretty nice condition - interior looked nice, no cracks in the dash. R20 ran smooth, exterior paint looked good, although if you looked closely, you could tell a front fender had been repaired at some time.

Lots of new parts, tranny shifted nicely, brakes, AC and original radio worked fine. It had the leaf springs in the rear, and the suspension felt good.

Only a couple problems - the clutch was pretty stiff (but is new), the steering leaks and made a bit of noise once. The spare wheel well had rusted through due to a leak that had been unrepaired for a long time, and the exhaust seemed too noisy from inside the car, although I didn't see anything wrong with it.

He wanted $2100.00, firm, which was a little more than I thought it was worth, considering the rusty hole, the leaky steering, and the fact that there are probably a few other things to fix.

Did I blow it ? or would a fair price be, maybe $1500.00?
Old 03-01-2009, 11:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $105860
View verlaryder's Photo Gallery
Worn drivers seat + new clutch = 147,000 or 247,000 miles = worth $750

A Toyota clutch would have to be wildly abused to be worn out at 47,000. I have 485,000 miles on my factory original Toyota pickup clutch.
verlaryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Corona is gone.

Lifetime Supreme Member
View 79Corona's Photo Gallery
My 86 pickup had 180K+ miles and a worn out clutch.
Other Toyotas : 79 Corona DLX sedan (Mint green), 89 Corolla DX sedan (wine), 88 Camry V6 LE sedan (blk), 86 Hilux std bed (wine), 82 Celica GT hatchback (bwn), 78 Celica GT coupe (slvr), 76 Corolla SR-5 coupe (wht)
79Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
You asked for it...

To be fair, the clutch disc wasn't worn out, it looked fine. He still had it there, and showed it to me. The pressure plate was bad, apparently had lost it's strength, and when he replaced that, he just replaced everything in there. The seat looked almost new, just split at a seam. Carpet looked good, too.

It sold the next day, so I'm still looking
Old 04-07-2009, 08:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
You asked for it...

You know it's the strangest darn thing - there were 3 Coronas on the local Craigslist at the same time, and then nothing since then. I'm also looking at Cressidas as an option, and the same thing happened - several at once and then nothing. I've noticed this type of thing before, and even though I don't believe in much of anything I can't see or feel, I find this pretty weird...
Old 04-18-2009, 12:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
New TN User

View CELESTIAL DRAGON GTS's Photo Gallery
I just bought a 1980 corona automatic everything complete .. it only needed a new exhaust manifold & carburator, and new front seats. Everything else was intact with original hub caps stereo all grills & emblems. I paid $450.00 & spent 300.00 on repairs. But tags were expired since 2003 so the fees are going to kill me! I have to fork over $500!!!! for a grand total of $1250.00. But my uncle said the engine is running stong & it will be an awesome commute car. He is an old school 80's toyota tech.
CELESTIAL DRAGON GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
You asked for it...

congrats!!! I'm still looking.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View KRIS05VVTi's Photo Gallery
i saw one for 5g's here in jersey and i want it so bad =) but this economy is killing me, so i would say the 2,100 for a corona is not bad
KRIS05VVTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corona Forum