Coolant leak, Help and info please - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Corona Forum Specific discussion of the Toyota Corona

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-02-2010, 01:27 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Coolant leak, Help and info please

Good day! This morning i started my car and after a couple minutes i turned it off and i noticed coolant underneath my car, went to check and couldnt see where it was coming from so i started her up again and saw a steady leak near the front middle of the engine right behind the radiator fan( the one hooked up to the belts, would this be the water pump? It drips whenever i have the engine on and a couple minutes after i turn it off. Tried letting it idle with around 2k rpm seeing if it would overheat or lose alot of coolant but the level barely went down and the temp never passed 1/4 mark....

Can i leave it like this for awhile and just top off the coolant whenever it gets low? How hard would it be to replace the water pump, the front park of the engine looks pretty tight with all the belts, fan, A/C, what else shouild i be replacing incase it is the waterpump leaking and estimate how long? Engine is a 12r original. thanks to whoever can shed light on this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEd View Post
Good day! This morning i started my car and after a couple minutes i turned it off and i noticed coolant underneath my car, went to check and couldnt see where it was coming from so i started her up again and saw a steady leak near the front middle of the engine right behind the radiator fan( the one hooked up to the belts, would this be the water pump? It drips whenever i have the engine on and a couple minutes after i turn it off. Tried letting it idle with around 2k rpm seeing if it would overheat or lose alot of coolant but the level barely went down and the temp never passed 1/4 mark....

Can i leave it like this for awhile and just top off the coolant whenever it gets low? How hard would it be to replace the water pump, the front park of the engine looks pretty tight with all the belts, fan, A/C, what else shouild i be replacing incase it is the waterpump leaking and estimate how long? Engine is a 12r original. thanks to whoever can shed light on this
The B***H about a water pump leak is that you can't accurately predict when it will turn into catastrophic failure. A compromised seal will cause or is sometimes caused by issues for the bearing, and when that goes, so can your engine. With a trashed radiator, belt, and possibly other components as 'collateral damage'.

So the question you have to ask yourself - "Do I feel lucky" You could get weeks or months out of the 'little dripper'. Or it could seize and trash the components your next trip. I'd fix it, or park the car until I could afford to fix it. Not worth risking trashing the engine and causing 10X the damage in my book. But then, I've felt at the wrong end of the 'lucky' curve with old cars....

As to replacing it - job isn't that hard, IIRC. You take all the components off (which is a PIA), and you have to take care not to bugger up the rad.

Last edited by Frodo65; 09-07-2010 at 09:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frodo65 For This Useful Post:
SilverEd (09-13-2010)
#3 Old 09-13-2010, 02:04 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
My thoughts exactly so i took it to the mechanic right away, everything is A-OK now, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corona Forum