Toyota Nation Forum banner

AE92 sedan suspension upgrades

20K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  4doorGTS 
#1 ·
Does anybody have suggestions for suspension upgrades for an AE 92 sedan?
I am thinking of autocrossing the car.

#4 ·
Pineapple said:
Coilover are good. Not too good on bumpy road but much less body roll.
I had tried a set on my 89 Tercel (paseo suspension) but they just about jarred my teeth out. Mind you, those were E-bay cheapies.
I have been looking for a GTS in the junkyars to scavenge suspension and brakes from, but no luck.

Someone suggested to me that the suspension from an older Celica, '84 maybe, might work.

I have seen "Drop Zone" struts and lowering springs on E-bay for the '93 - '97 Corolla/Prizim at a reasonable price. I think someone on here said that the '93 suspension is interchangable with the '92, can anybody confirm that?

#5 ·
Update:
I went by Advance Auto Parts this evening and they were kind enough to pull a front and rear strut for a '92 and a '93 Corolla for me to compare.

The fronts seem to be identical, diameter and hight, but had different style and position for the brake hose attach ears. Attach holes for the steering knuckle are identically spaced and sized.

The rears were identical also in diameter and hight, but the lower spring perch on the '93 was about 0.25 inch, or less, wider than the '92. Attach holes spaced and sizes the same.

From what I see I think they will work. Also, the rears had the attach point for a sway bar, which my stock ones don't.

I think I'll try the Drop Zone set for the '93, on my '92.

#6 ·
AE100 and AE92 suspension are compatible, but use the whole package, springs and shocks. The rear spring on the AE100 is wider, so using AE100 springs with AE92 shocks wont work, as the spring wont seat properly on the low perch. As AE92 spring would not seat in an AE100 spring perch.

#7 ·
Thanks. The Drop Zone set is a complete package, that is why I am interested in those.

Anybody have any experience with that brand?

#8 ·
My friend got a set of dropzone springs for his DC4, he mated them with his stock shocks and it lowered close to 2 inches on his car. He said its Ok if you want your car low and slightly increased handling. But there has to be a better brand rather than dropzone, I still dont trust them.

#9 ·
AE92_GTS88 said:
My friend got a set of dropzone springs for his DC4, he mated them with his stock shocks and it lowered close to 2 inches on his car. He said its Ok if you want your car low and slightly increased handling. But there has to be a better brand rather than dropzone, I still dont trust them.
Thanks for response GTS.

No doubt you are correct that there are others out there that are better, Koni for instance, but since I only spent $700 for the car and am trying to keep the budget low, the Drop Zone set (struts and springs) at $350 look ok. I am not expecting enything spectacular from them at that price.

Why don't you trust them?

#10 ·
does anyone know where i can find either a set of oem gts sway bars (front + rear) or an aftermarket setup? there are almost no gts' in tucson. i've only seen 2 running in tucson since i moved here, and that was nearly 9 yrs ago... and i have never seen them in the scrap yards... does the sr5 have the sway bars or just the gts?

#11 ·
I just got a rear sway bar off a '92 Geo Prizim. I'll need to change my rrear shocks to make them fit. While researching I found that some aftermarket shocks come with the necessary attach points for the rear sway bar, no matter whether the car you orderded them for had them or not.

Check the '93 + DX's (1.8) they come with front and rear sway bars, but you might have to swap the lower control arm also to make the front one work. The rear one looks the same as the one I got from the Geo. I am not sure if it will fit but I plan to get them when I make my next junk yard shopping spree.

#12 · (Edited)
hey im looking for the same advise, i got the hatchback though "EE90" but should be the same.
Im thinking of using either AE101 or AE111 shocks and springs on my 92, both front and rear. maby even buy the whole package one time, shocks springs rotors and calipers.
What sway bars are you using on your 92? Can the 101 swar bars work?

#14 · (Edited)
just bringing back this thread .....
i got ae92 gt sway bars, and they dont work on my ee90 chassis....front OR back!!!...what am i supposed to do now???....just throw them aside ? can i get them to work somehow?
the one in the back doesnt work atoll, im not seeing anywhere for aynthing to bolt up....and the front rubbder mounts bolt up, but the sides dont bolt up..heres a pic of them...

#16 ·
I was taking a look at the sr5 front shock and spring, and the sr5 ones I have... I couldn't really find a difference. They look the same to the eye, like for the casing and such. The spring is thicker on the gts one, but next time I get ahold of a spring compressor I will take them apart and see. Was going to when I swapped out my spring but meh.

#17 ·
I agree with Flashmn on the sway bars, they should fit.

As for suspension, go with Ksport coilovers, after driving Minesh's car I was surprised as to how well they handled.. btw his car was about 1inch lower than my car and I'm already at a 1.8inch drop. :wowza:

#18 · (Edited)
AARON420.
You will probably need to replace your rear shocks since that is where the ends of the sway bar attaches. The original shocks on cars that were sold without sway bars didn't have the attach ears/brackets on them, but the aftermarket shocks that I have seen (KYB & Monroe) have the necessary attach points. From the photo, you are also missing the "dog bone" links for the back. I think I have an extra set of those in useable condition, if you need them I'll give them to you.

I am not sure, but on the front, I think you will need to swap the lower control arms, to get those attach points.

You might be able to fabricate some ears/brackets for the front, but on the back they are welded directly to the shock tube.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.