Rebuilding the Toyota Aisan carburetor - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > Older Generations (1969-1987)

Older Generations (1969-1987) Specific discussion of the AE86, along with generations 1 through 5.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View Gokhan's Photo Gallery
Lightbulb Rebuilding the Toyota Aisan carburetor

In this post, I am providing the repair-manual pages, actual photos, and a few warnings if you intend to rebuild your carburetor.

Here is the Fuel System chapter from the 1985 Toyota Corolla FWD Repair Manual for the Aisan carburetors, including 16030.

IMPORTANT: In order for the pages to display correctly, use View --> Page Display --> Two-Up in Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Toyota Corolla 1985 FWD Repair Manual Fuel System (Aisan carburetor, including 16030)

Here are the photos of the rebuild of the 4A-LC Aisan 16030 carburetor of my 1985 Corolla LE (FWD) with US Federal emissions:

Toyota 4A-LC Aisan 16030 carburetor rebuild -- complete teardown

Good luck rebuilding the carburetor.

A few warnings:
  • Get a Great Neck impact drive from Autozone to be able to remove the flange screws without damaging them.
  • Use a quarter-dollar coin in the needle-valve strainer and turn it with pliers.
  • A sawed-off flat screwdriver may be useful for removing jets.
  • You need a very thin-walled 9 mm drive to be able to remove the power piston.
  • Take a photo at every step so that you can put things back correctly.
  • Larger jet is the secondary jet, smaller is the primary.
  • Be very careful not to drill into the idle-mixture screw. Go very slowly. Punch a dot in the exact center of the MAS plug first so that the drill bit will be stable. The screw is only 2 mm under the plug.
  • Use goggles when you use compressed air with carb cleaner so that you don't get it in your eyes.
  • You can use short teflon-tubing pieces to replace broken plastic bushings.
  • Don't damage the cold-mixture heater. They don't make it anymore. It only makes a complete circuit when it's installed and don't incorrectly assume that the heater wire is broken -- it's not.
  • Get the correct flange gaskets if they don't come with the kit. Chances are that they won't. You can also make your own gasket from FEL-PRO sheet gasket material -- readily available and cheap at auto stores -- probably much higher quality than aftermarket gaskets in the kits.
  • Don't overtighten any mounting bolt or screw. if you tighten the gaskets too much, they can start leaking in a few years.

Last edited by Gokhan; 09-12-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Gokhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
'87 corolla dlx calico

View woodye85741's Photo Gallery
I have #16120 carb fm '87.Am able to get carb with either TPS or without. Cant tell if TPS is really necessary for carbureted engine. Will I cover my bases whether I get one or not ?
woodye85741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View Gokhan's Photo Gallery
Lightbulb

The throttle-position switch is found in all Corollas made in August 1985 and up (1986 and newer model years) and not found in the earlier models.

So, yes, you need it in your 87 Corolla. It's only a separate, additional attachment to the carburetor and it doesn't change any mechanical fit. I think all mid-80s Corolla carburetors have the same basic body -- only vacuum lines and jet hole sizes tend to differ. If you don't hook up the throttle-position switch or adjust it properly (there is a separate "low-idle" adjustment screw for the Corolla carburetors with throttle-position switches), you may have engine hesitation, but I am not sure exactly what it does because mine is 85 and doesn't have it and I don't have the emissions manual for 87. There are also various orifices around the throttle that sense the various throttle positions using vacuum lines.

Note that one thing that wildly differs among various minor variants of Corolla carburetors is the flange gaskets. Therefore, make sure to get the correct set of flange gaskets. There are three of them and all tend to vary.

Last edited by Gokhan; 06-29-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Gokhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > Older Generations (1969-1987)