Toyota Nation Forum banner

Official 7th gen Chat Thread

196K views 4K replies 79 participants last post by  75aces 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#8 ·
Carolla problems on America's birthday

I'm sorry guys. Usually when I move a thread i select "all posts" :lol: looks like I've been crucified here.

I can do whatever you guys want me to. His problem has been diagnosed already.

Also, it is actually his shift linkage bushings. We've had an influx of this lately on the ninth generation.

#11 ·
Since this thread is already full of junk I thought I'd pass this along - picked it up over at subaruoutback.org..:

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=8

Just install a great mod like a cold air intake? Electric supercharger? Big Muffler? Magnetic fuel line ionizer? Awesome wing? Are you getting no respect from your friends for your newly found power? As we all know, these are high end and sophisticated modifications. Some may be TOO sophisticated to actually show up on a traditional dyno. So here we have: The Butt Dyno. Simply place it in the seat, and drive fast, weaving in and out of traffic. (On a race course, of course.) Now you can tell your friends with confidence "That oil-saturated air filter gave me 20 horses!

#19 ·
My first post:

My mother went to the Lexus dealer to get her tires replaced on her 2001 RX300. Surprisingly, Lexus has fantastic prices on tires. Alignment was $195 though lol. I go with her to take the loaner back (CT200h, surprisingly awesome car). Anyway, my mother is talking to her favorite salesperson that sold her the car. They know each other and she always chats with him whenever she's there. Meanwhile, I see an RC-F on the showroom floor and start drooling. LOOK AT THESE SEATS.

Amazing steering wheel, suede armrests and gauge cover, floor mounted gas pedal, and such comfortable yet sporty seats. The perfect blend of daily comfort and amazing hold on your entire body.

So I approach the salesman that I had never met, and we start chatting. I mention I drive an MR2 Spyder and his eyes light up. He tells me a story of how he bought an MR2 Spyder from a customer, who sold his 2000 for $9k to him.... with 6700 original miles. Then he took me to the top floor of the garage with one of the Lexus technicians. So the technician has a black 2001 and this salesman has a black 2000. The 2000 is PRISTINE. Perfect paint, perfect leather interior, 100% stock. We talk for quite a bit about mods, he even gives me his business card and asks me to come back with my Spyder Monday so he can see it and we can talk. Awesome guy.

I ask to test drive the RC-F, knowing that it's incredibly unlikely I can do so. It's a limited production car, it's over $75k, and I'm a 21 year old guy in a tiny cheap sports car. The guy says yes and immediately goes to get the car to my surprise. My heart is racing. A 467HP V8 that revs to 7000 RPM...

I wait a good 15 minutes for him to bring the car out. He finally comes out with a GORGEOUS gray RC-F. He explains to me that he had to unwrap the entire interior because it was coated in plastics, he believes I'm the first person to ever drive it. Holy shit. He also explains it came with the performance package. This includes a carbon fiber roof, carbon fiber pop up rear wing, and a torque vectoring differential. Then he says it's company policy that the salesman takes the car out of the lot, and they prefer to actually follow it with such an expensive car. So he drives it down the road into an empty parking lot across the street. Starts turning in as tight a circle as possible and hits the gas. Tires start squealing and THE TURNING RADIUS IS SO TIGHT. It might be tighter than my MR2! He gets out and lets me sit down.

First thing I do is put it into Sport+ mode. The tach immediately changes color and the redline goes up by something like 500 RPM. That sweet 7000 RPM redline is open to me. Traction control stays ON. My mother is in the rear seat. The guy tells me where to go, to a twisty road with a small police presence. He's encouraging me to flog it.

We get there and I let the engine breathe. All the power is in the mid and top end with this engine, so you have to rev it out. Oh my lord that exhaust note. It's orgasmic. floor it and it pins you into the seat. The seats, oh my god. And that floor mounted gas pedal is just... so right. I'm weaving through traffic uphill through this twisty road. My mother is letting out yelps. The guy is laughing. Then I notice a cop on a motorcycle drive right by me. I look down and I'm doing.... a little over the limit. Luckily the cop ignores me, and I'm incredibly thankful for that. I've been doing turns at pretty high speeds and the car didn't feel even close to its limit. So much grip I can't even. The rest of the way I drive sensibly, and suddenly this monster of a car feels like a luxury car. Even in sport+ the ride is soft and smooth, exudes luxury. The seats that held me so firmly now softly hug me and keep my back straight so comfortably. The exhaust dies down and is quiet as the automatic shifts at 2000 RPM through its 8 gears. It's truly a luxury car. I floor it a few more times, the traction control and torque vectoring don't even let the tires squeal.

I park the car and marvel at its beauty. The salesman has a huge smile on his face, as do I. My mother is scared but thrilled. My chest feels light. It was truly an experience to push such a car. I'm a fairly conservative driver, but holy shit do I love this car... and damn did I uncharacteristically drive hard.

My mother managed to snap this. Look at the (frameless!!) rearview mirror and you'll see my feelings on the car.

I'm so thankful I was given this chance. It was an incredible experience like no other... and I'm thrilled. Surprisingly, my Spyder does NOT feel inadequate after this! I took it to the same road and pushed it.. sure it's not fast, but it still handles like a beast. Plus it's so raw and loud and sharp and twitchy, the Lexus is luxury and I prefer a raw driving experience. Still, I dream of someday owning such a car.

#23 ·
Halo, I loved what you wrote about the RC-F. . . You'd be great at reviewing cars.

I passed small dealership with a 7th Gen Corolla on the lot. . . I was very tempted to go ask how much it was. There is something special about this generation to me, not exactly sure what it is though.

I'm taking University Physics II for summer II. .. Why I thought this was a good idea is beyond me. . Very interesting, and "fun" material, but it moves so fast. Ran across this while studying. . . and now I want one.

#28 ·
Yup. Just take the radio's in many of the newer cars. Fully integrated into the dash. No running down to Best Buy to pick up a $50 stereo when the OEM goes out. Anyone know how much a replacement factory radio runs for any of these new cars?

Also, I found a '93 DX automatic with only 78K miles. Although it's wrecked in the front, I'm still planning to buy it. Interior is in pretty good shape. I don't know if I'll fix it or part it. What's it worth?

#29 ·
MOAR COROLLAS.

I know that many nav systems for new cars are over $2000 each. Replacing them is a big deal. I also wanted to install a nav system in my mother's 2001 Lexus RX300. I found out that to install an OEM nav unit, I would need the unit itself, a big chunk of the OEM harness, and a new ECU from a car that came with navigation. Yeah, the ECU is different between nav and non nav vehicles for that model.

#30 ·
I might create a separate thread out of this but thought I'd start out here. Overrunning Alternator Decoupler pulleys. I'm about to modify the stock setup on my Outback based on someone else swapping the stock alternator solid pulley for an OAD pulley and getting a lot smoother idling as a result, both as AC engages/disengages and under different electrical loads. I'll find out for myself once I do this mod. For the basics of an OAD pulley:

http://www.decouplerpulley.com/basics.cfm

Which got me curious - what if I were to do this on the Corolla (which certainly has uneven idle based on electrical loads, AC, etc). One difference is that we have separate accessory belts as opposed to modern cars with their serpentine belts, so making the alternator pulley decoupled to smooth out belt operation would not ripple down to the AC compressor or power steering. So it might not have the full effect of installing in a serpentine belt operation, but I'd think it would have some. Then I did some research on OADs that would match our alternators (pulley size, belt width and grooves, shaft thread). And came up short. So there might not be any OAD pulleys that would actually bolt on: mail.aimpowerinmotion.com/files/AIM_Litens_OAD_Catalog.pdf

Thoughts? Interest?