Toyota Nation Forum banner

93 Prizm issues

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  zythr 
#1 ·
Hello, I have a 1993 Geo Prizm LSI with a 4AFE engine. The timing belt broke one morning while trying to start it, it ran perfectly before this happened. I had the timing belt replaced, and was triple checked to be on correctly (all marks lined up perfectly). I started it up, and it idles really high, so cant set ignition timing (replaced cap/rotor/all filters/wires/plugs(NGK)/water pump and oil pump, along with a new radiator while doing timing). So the problems I am having now, are its idling high, and when I try to move it it has no power. Could this be caused by a vacuum leak? what should I look for?

Thank you for any help offered!

#2 ·
Double check everything you touched, starting from the outside. Hopefully it's just a hidden-sh wire (or more likely a harness) you didn't reconnect.

Can you scan it for codes?

Reactions: OHSHFT
#8 ·
Closest vacuum lines to timing belt area would be under the power steering pump. There are two vacuum lines. One that feeds filtered intake air and one that sucks it into the intake. The valve on the power steering pump opens the bridge between the two when you turn the wheel to increase idle and compensate for the extra load on the engine from operating the pump.

If the hose that feeds the intake is loose that would permanently increase idle.

#9 ·
Idle is under control now, was a vacuum leak, replaced all vacuum lines to resolve issue. Thanks to those that were helpful, it helped me resolve the problem. zythr, you shouldn't assume things, because although you may know a fair bit about these cars, you know nothing of the people who own them or the circumstances surrounding the car, and saying the things you do, make you look like an arrogant prick. When i was given this car, it had 320k on the original engine, and... a broken timing belt. So no need to bash people when they are asking for help, I mean, isn't that the point of a forum?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.