How do I tighten the Power Steering belt? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
7th Generation (1993-1997) Specific discussion of the 7th generation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
How do I tighten the Power Steering belt?

I want to tighten the Power Steering belt. I read somewhere here that it should be done by tightening the Alternator Tension Adjustment Bolt.

Or is-it rather done by tightening the power steering pulley itself (how do I do that?)

This is because my car makes a loud screech if I turn my Steering close to full lock either left or right. The problem is worse in cold mornings, it will screech as soon as I turn my steering even slightly.

My car is a 1996 DX, 1.6L engine, manual transmission with AC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-23-2009, 04:13 PM
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Yes. Myself and a few other people fixed this, by tensioning the alternator tensioner bolt. I believe it is the one furthers from the engine...

Corolla Number TWO
OLD: Corolla 1- 96 4AFE, AE101 w/ 225k Miles orig. motor, 129k trans. - TOTALED.
NEW: Corolla 2- 96 4AFE, AE101 w/ 161k Miles on motor and trans.
#3 Old 11-23-2009, 06:13 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Garage
For the power steering belt you need to unhook a bolt on the pump itself (don't remember it and what bracket it's on, sorry.) and pull the pump back to to tighten the belt. You should also consider adjusting the alternator belt if it's loose as mentioned above. If you tighten it and it doesn't go away, try belt conditioner. If that doesn't make it better, replace all the belts (PS, Alternator, and AC compressor)
#4 Old 11-24-2009, 09:19 PM
Only GOD Knows

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Power steering has a lock bolt on top. This is where you adjust it. You might have to loosen the bottom bolt (mounting bolt). Only 2 bolts hold the p/s pump. It uses a seperate belt from the rest. Adjusting the alternator won't help...but check it at least while your at it. Also check to make sure your fluid isn't low.

Last edited by trife96; 11-24-2009 at 09:20 PM. Reason: more info
#5 Old 11-25-2009, 02:33 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trife96 View Post
Power steering has a lock bolt on top. This is where you adjust it. You might have to loosen the bottom bolt (mounting bolt). Only 2 bolts hold the p/s pump. It uses a seperate belt from the rest. Adjusting the alternator won't help...but check it at least while your at it. Also check to make sure your fluid isn't low.
Wrong.

I had this screaming PS pump issue for months. Changed all the belts twice and the PS pump and the pulley.

Myself and at least 2 other people, have fixed the screaming power steering issue, by tensioning the alternator. The pulley that the alternator belt attaches too, must be in balance along with the other belt, other wise the pull on one another and cause screaming.

Thanks.

Corolla Number TWO
OLD: Corolla 1- 96 4AFE, AE101 w/ 225k Miles orig. motor, 129k trans. - TOTALED.
#6 Old 11-25-2009, 11:38 PM
Only GOD Knows

I wouldn't say I'm wrong....The water pump is fixed and bolted on the block by three bolts. Power steering pump driven off the water pump. Crankshaft drives alternator and water pump. Technically, all the belts should be simply measured with a belt tensioner guage.

#7 Old 11-26-2009, 10:02 AM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
So by tightening the alternator belt, it will in turn tighten the water pump pulley which drives the PS pump. So all these 3 things are inter-connected

is that it?
#8 Old 11-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Only GOD Knows

interconnected by belts....yes. I still don't feel that tightenging the alternator belt would have any affect on p/s pump. I will be installing all new belts on my other Corolla this weekend. I will test this theory

#9 Old 11-27-2009, 07:09 AM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
interconnected by belts....yes. I still don't feel that tightenging the alternator belt would have any affect on p/s pump. I will be installing all new belts on my other Corolla this weekend. I will test this theory
Let me know after you are done this weekend. I haven't got a chance to play with my car yet to address this issue
#10 Old 11-27-2009, 02:48 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
I am speaking from experience here, as I said in my other posts. They are some how interconnected. I fixed my screaming PS pump, by tensioning the alternator.

Corolla Number TWO
#11 Old 11-27-2009, 07:02 PM
Only GOD Knows

Whatever man, I'm speaking from experience as well. In fact I just reinstalled my belt tensioner and all new belts on my flip Corolla. There is no way that by adjusting the alternator should it have any affect on the power steering. They are interconnected by the water pump. The water pump does not adjust. It's a fixed point between two belts! It's bolted to the block. No adjustmnent. Nor should the water pump pulley (mounted to the pump by four bolts) move forward or backward. Admit your crazy for thinking just because they are interconnected by two belts, that one should have an affect on the other!

#12 Old 11-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Garage
I wonder if it's something with the water pump pulley...

For instance, on my car the belt can squeal on it's on but it's more noticeable when the fan and/or lights are on, which is straining the alternator. There aren't two different belts for the Delco and Denso alternators are there?
#13 Old 11-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Whatever man, I'm speaking from experience as well. In fact I just reinstalled my belt tensioner and all new belts on my flip Corolla. There is no way that by adjusting the alternator should it have any affect on the power steering. They are interconnected by the water pump. The water pump does not adjust. It's a fixed point between two belts! It's bolted to the block. No adjustmnent. Nor should the water pump pulley (mounted to the pump by four bolts) move forward or backward. Admit your crazy for thinking just because they are interconnected by two belts, that one should have an affect on the other!
Power Steering Pump or Belt READ

Corolla Number TWO
#14 Old 11-27-2009, 10:52 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Canada

Quote:
#15 Old 11-28-2009, 07:20 PM
Only GOD Knows

I read it, and honestly, if it worked for you and a couple of others, As strange as it sounds, maybe it does have some small affect on the power steering belt. But if you tighten the alternator adjusting bolt to take care of a loose power steering belt. Your also tightening the alternator belt. What if the alternator belt doesn't need any tightening?! So you can possibly overtighten one belt to make the other correct. This makes no sense. IMO it's sounds like not the best way to go about adjusting the p/s belt...but whatever.

Power steering belt tension should be 100-150
Alternator belt tension should be 175 +/- 5

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 7th Generation (1993-1997)