'95 Corolla Brake Lights Stay On - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
7th Generation (1993-1997) Specific discussion of the 7th generation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-10-2010, 05:59 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
'95 Corolla Brake Lights Stay On

Recently I noticed that my brake lights were staying on after I got out of my car. This caused me to have to pump the brakes in order for them to disengage. Unfortunately, I forgot to do this one night and it killed my battery. I went out and purchased a brake light switch based on the diagnosis' I gathered from Googling. This seems to be the best tutorial I've found on replacing it:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5751645_repl...ht-switch.html

However, I can't seem to remove the 4 bolts behind the break pedal to remove the electrical cover for the life of me. I'm using a short-stemmed socket wrench with 1/2 inch socket. This seems to give more much more room and leverage than the adjustable wrench and socket screw-driver I've tried. Does anyone here have an easy way of getting this done?

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-10-2010, 08:34 PM
Official TN Member

The first thing you need to check is the brake light sensor by the pedal. Its just a little push button that is screwed onto your brake pedal brace. When you push in the brake pedal, the pedal releases the button causing the brake lights to engage. when you lift off the pedal, there should be a bump stop on the pedal that pushes the button in. You just need to adjust the sensor by either screwing it in further/unscrewing it enough to where the bump top on the pedal pushes the sensor button all the way in.
#3 Old 04-11-2010, 12:30 AM
TN Post Wh*re

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
i though that on my car it was just 2 jam nuts that held the switch into place on an arm near the pedal arm. just loosen the nuts and unscrew the switch.
#4 Old 07-07-2013, 11:52 AM
New TN User

toyota corolla 95 tail lights stays on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitter View Post
i though that on my car it was just 2 jam nuts that held the switch into place on an arm near the pedal arm. just loosen the nuts and unscrew the switch.
Here is the solution: there is a plastic tab on the floor of your car. locate the switch located at the beginning of the arm that hold the brake pedal. the switch uses the pressure to keep the lights off. However, your pedal is now missing the piece of plastic that fell on the floor. Finally, crazy glue it to the arm of the brake (to touch the switch when the brake is released) or place a nut and bolt with the head of the bolt touching the switch.

PS: There is no need to remove your switch at all. I just did this to fix my fiancee's 95 Corolla.
#5 Old 07-07-2013, 08:57 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Or just readjust the switch to take up the space where the plastic that broke off once resided. Worked like a champ on my car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 7th Generation (1993-1997)