Engine sputtering after long drives. - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 7th Generation (1993-1997)

7th Generation (1993-1997) Specific discussion of the 7th generation

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2010, 02:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View 94PrizmDD's Photo Gallery
Engine sputtering after long drives.

Ive noticed after i drive my car for a good 45 min on the highway and then exit and stop at the light, the car is sputtering like if its about to turn off. Any ideas what this could be? I kno im due for a tune up so my trial and error will start there. The car doesn't do that when i first crank it up. I can drive around do commuting its just when its driven at higher speeds for longer periods of time. So it puzzles me, if it was misfiring wouldn't it do it all the time?
94PrizmDD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2010, 10:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Went to NAPA today. I purchased Spark Plugs NGK, Wires, Cap, Rotor all NAPA brand. Pcv valve. Oh and fuel filter, Ill be installing this tomorrow
Old 09-11-2010, 04:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
TIEyota fighter ace

Gameroom cash: $295600
Supreme Member
View Piloter's Photo Gallery
Could be an issue with carbon buildup, do you notice it being more of a problem when the weather is hotter?

Piloter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2010, 05:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piloter View Post
Could be an issue with carbon buildup, do you notice it being more of a problem when the weather is hotter?
Its usually hot here. It starts happening on long drives im sure the car gets really hot. But now its happening constantly. I did a tune up yest replaced spark plugs,wires,cap,rotor. Today im gona replace the fuel filter and the pcv valve. I honestly thought it would be fixed by now. Yea most likely carbon build up, is there a DIY on this?

The goods.

Last edited by 94PrizmDD; 09-12-2010 at 05:59 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Update installed fuel filter and pcv valve this morning. Engine still doing the same thing.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Gameroom cash: $110000
View AliRazoR's Photo Gallery
maybe your problem is:

AliRazoR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Good find. Ill try that.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
TIEyota fighter ace

Supreme Member
Best way to get rid of carbon buildup? Get a can of Seafoam, run it through the brake booster line or there's a can now that has a bendy straw so you can inject directly past the throttle plate via the air hose on the manifold...do a search for Seafoam, there's a ton of posts about it. It'll make a nice smoke show, the one thing to remember is don't let the engine die until after you stop injecting it (hydrolocking is bad).

If you want to avoid making your engine breathe kerosene, you can do the same thing with steam-distilled water via a very shallow bowl and a steady hand on the intake hose. This may require two people, one to apply throttle and make sure the engine doesn't stall out and one to manage controlled suction. Don't use tap water, you don't want all those minerals deposited on your pistons. Basically the water flash-boils into steam in the combustion chamber and the pressure blasts the crud off, plus it brings down the combustion chamber temperature. (High-boost turbocharged cars use water injection for the bang and for the charge-cooling effects as well). This method produces less kerosene smoke and is cleaner and cheaper with the same effect and no damage unless something else is badly badly wrong. (I ran a half-gallon of water through my engine in about 10 minutes and got a CEL for one sparkplug misfiring once.) If your Prizm has the well-known oil consumption issues (rings/seals on the 7AFE, primarily), then you've probably got a lot of buildup and this will give you a little more power, improve your idle, and slightly increase your mileage, otherwise it's just easy troubleshooting.

You CAN do the Marvel Mystery Oil / B12 / GM Top Engine Cleaner approach where you take the plugs out and pour a capful of that down onto the pistons and let it sit overnight, then pull the EFI relay in the morning and crank the engine over to let it spit out the excess and build back up oil pressure, then put the plugs back in, the relay back in, and start 'er up...but that can be a little nerve-wracking as the engine tends to be reluctant to start afterward.

Of course it could be a dirty throttle position sensor, in which case none of the above will be of any use to you and you'll have to either get some specialized tools to recalibrate it or pay somebody else for that privilege.

Last edited by Piloter; 09-12-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Official TN Member

I took a video of my problem. This is after i replaced plugs,wires,cap,rotor,fuel filter, pcv valve. At the beginning of the video I have my a/c on, then i turn it off. Notice the difference. Even tho the problem seems to go away, its still present with the a/c off just not as noticeable. Note** My radiator fan is rigged to stay on, hence why it sounds noisy . And the rattle noise you hear when I rev it up seems to be what i think is the heat shield. I plan on replacing the exhaust manifold soon since its cracked.

Last edited by 94PrizmDD; 09-13-2010 at 06:46 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
TIEyota fighter ace

Supreme Member
Normal hot idle should be 650 (+/- 50) RPMs if I remember the manual correctly. There is an idle-up circuit so that when you turn on the AC or stress the power steering pump you don't have your idle drop too low--the lowest I've seen it get when I suddenly turn the AC off on a hot day is right around 500. Is it a steady low idle, or does it seem to jump/hunt around? From the sound of the video (kind of hard to tell) it sounds like it's idling at a pretty constant RPM.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
Official TN Member

I don't have a rpm gauge. It seems like its running low rpm, I think its constant just low. At times it feels like it wants to turn off.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Update*** So today I finally went to purchase the sea foam, and while i was at it i bought a bottle of carb cleaner. So the SeaFoam worked great there was smoke everywhere lol. I put about 1/3 thru the brake booster line. and put about 1/4 in the gas tank. I didn't put any in the engine since I was reading u should replace the oil after 100 miles of use. I still have 1500 miles left on my oil, so i saved the rest to put 100 miles before my next oil change. I noticed a change my car idles alot better now the sputtering has almost gone away completely. I still feel a sense of imbalance/sputtering in the engine but im guessing that's because the bolt in the motor mount i have to replace. I ordered them from the dealer and will be picking them up tom. I am now certain i need a new exhaust manifold because there was as much smoke coming out my manifold as my exhaust. I have a friend who is gonna clean out my throttle body tomorrow. Well see if that solves the sputtering completely. Either way ill be putting the bolts in Monday. The carb cleaner didn't have any effect I sprayed it in all the vacuum lines and didn't feel no difference in idling so for now i will rule out vacuum leak. Things are moving right along, I hope to have it 100% within the next few weeks.

Note** I took a video with my phone so the quality is prolly gonna be crappy but you'll see the smoke coming out the manifold and exhaust lol. ill post it up soon.

Last edited by 94PrizmDD; 09-15-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Ok here is the video. I actually redid it today with a better camera then my phones. Notice my manifold smoking.

Part1 - Injecting the sea foam
http://www.youtube.com/user/Mystic3o.../1/JTqWMR94Mck

Part 2- Waited about 20 min then started her up and revved the hell out of it.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Mystic3o.../0/oDb9NvqxDlM
Old 09-27-2010, 09:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View 96coroll's Photo Gallery
So how's the car running now? Problem been completely solved?
96coroll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2010, 09:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View good_old_geo's Photo Gallery
In the haynes manual it appears that the 1996 and later models can detect whether its the idle control valve is the problem if yours is a 1995 or earlier then youre gonna have to test it. The haynes manual has write up on it. If you want to test it just message me and I can provide some details. It would be a good investment to get a haynes manual if you dont have it yet. it helps save some money by not replacing parts that could be still ok.
good_old_geo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 7th Generation (1993-1997)