Toyota Nation Forum banner

What did you do to your Corolla Today?

283K views 3K replies 180 participants last post by  Haloruler64 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
MOD EDIT: Guapoman2000 has very kindly given his permission to sticky this thread and turn it into a place for the 7th-gen community to show-and-share. Not looking for massive build threads, just quick little updates to show off and hopefully encourage others. :thumbsup:

Just sharing some How To for those Do It Yourselves out there!

Back in January 5th, 1998, I purchased an almost new 1996 Toyota Corolla DX with the 1.8 Lite Gasoline Engine and Automatic Transmission with overdrive.

The Vehicle was just sitting at the Dealer Lot in Merritt Island, Florida, the Space Coast and part of Central Florida with just 24,628 miles on the Odometer.

Fast forward, it now has 85,032 Mile on the Odometer thereby, the Vehicle has attained only 60,404 mile driven in my care. Since the Vehicle is 16 years old then, this comes out to just a little over 3,775 miles per year.

One good selling technique by the Dealer in 1998 was FREE OIL and OIL Fiter for LIFE and believe me, I have taken Advantage of this! Every time they see me coming, they beg me to trade it in and I say Nope, going to keep it for LIFE!
I go in their waiting room and help myself with Donuts, Coffee and a Free Newspaper!

This is just fair because the Sales Lady that attended me that day almost sold me a Camry that had been crashed on the entire Drivers side. The Sales Lady said, it was an older woman that just traded in and that it will not last long. I took a look at that Camry and you could see the Orange Peel on the entire Drivers side and the passenger was perfect with the mirror like metallic flake paint from Factory. I told her, "If you want to keep me here you better show me a vehicle that is actually CLEAN and without any prior damage plus a Large Discount!!! She Complied.

Anyway, here is the 1996 Toyota Corolla DX on one weekend out with one of my RC Airplane Models:

Before Replacing Head Lights!

Can you believe that the Large E-Flite Hawker Hurricane 25e fits inside this Corolla!!!

Anyway....after so many years the Plastic Head Lights had reached it's useful Life and not because anything was wrong with the Lights themselves but, the Outer Lens had just reached a point where Light was being Blocked and I decided this was a Safety issue and ordered new Head Lights for the Corolla. Yes, I do understand that there is a product "Cream" that you can puff out the road and fuel exhaust deposits from the original Head Lights but, I had done that in another Toyota and really did not help much.

Okay, some pictures showing how I replaced at least one side (Passenger Side) for Head Light Replacement:

Showing the new Head Lights Assemblies, new from the Box!

:clap:

See less See more
#6 ·
What I did to my Rolla today...

Changed driver's side headlight bulb

Changed interior dome light bulb

Wiped down front seat center arm rest/console area, which a bleach/disinfectant type cleaner I "borrowed" from work (@ the hospital)

Then I filled the gas tank up and drove it to work! ;) (7p-7a Graveyard Shift!)

#7 ·
Replaced camshaft and front crankshaft seal today.

Discovered a small hole on water inlet pipe (put J.B. Weld epoxy and letting it dry overnight) and will try to see if dealers around the area has the said pipe in stock.

Will replace by-pass hose, water pump and housing, spark plug tube seals, and timing belt components.

#9 ·
Replacing Rear Light Harnesses!

Hi there again Gals and Guys!:hi:
This is my mom's car, a 1996 Toyota Corolla DX with the 1.8 Liter, 4 Speed Auto Transmission and has approximately 85,600 miles at present. However, about two years ago I replaced one bulb at the Right Rear Tail Light Assembly and I must have inserted a lower capacity bulb such that the bulb overheated and melted the contacts at the socket and ruining the wire harness at this side. The result, a intermittent bulb operation as the contacts were not making contact.

On October 28th, 2012 I finally broke down and went to the Salvage Yard (U Pull, U Pay) in South East Orlando area and near the Orlando International Airport location. Very nice facility and the lady at the counter even gave me a print-out where the Corollas were located.

I found one 1995 Corolla in very good shape with very nice Light Blue Metallic power Blue and it was smashed at the rear. Lucky enough the Rear Tail Light assemblies were intact and still on the car, along with the tail light harnesses.

Came back went to work and this time made sure all bulb types were in their correct location and types where verified.:thumbsup:

Some pictures of the handy work! The Dealer wanted $90 US for just one Wire Light Harness without the bulbs and did not include the labor. I got both sides for a cool $12.54 including tax at the salvage yard.

Carefully removed each Tail Light Assembly from vehicle and rested at the edge of bumper with harness still connected:

Here is the manner in which I removed the harness through the rear body opening:

This Problem!

Make sure you buy the correct bulb rating!!

Harnesses from Salvage Yard!

Okay for the important part! The top Gray Socket did not have the same key code and I had to shave off one of the three from the Salvage Yard Replacement harness using a hobby knife and presto success!

Also, took one socket at a time from the old to the newer harness to make sure all bulbs were the correct rating!

Replacing is reverse from disassembly and tested the bulb to make sure it did not overheat!!

It has been over one month and all is well!!:clap:

#15 ·
New Front Calibers, Rotors and Pads!

Well guys,

You would think that a car that is hardly used and maintained in the garage would be mechanically sound since keeping it from the elements but, it is not necessarily true!

This 1996 Corolla DX is my mom's car and it has only 85,804 miles and maintained in the Garage when not in use. I borrowed it on Friday morning since my own beater decided to slip a timing belt from an early morning attempt to start.

For more work on this Corolla then, go to :
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1737059

Anyway, on the way back home that Friday afternoon the car exhibited to have a condition of braking all by itself and the more I drove it and more it wanted to seize up on ALL wheels!:eek: Well, fortunately for me there was a mechanic shop right before the open road and I pulled in. They looked with disbelief and told me that the Calibers up front seemed to be locking up. Of course I told them that I do all my mechanical work and I just need to limp back home so, they relieved the Pressure on the brake lines and loosened up the back drum brakes to give me a good head start in my 24 mile journey.

The next day on Saturday, I was shocked to observed both front Caliber units all corroded and certainly locking up causing the back brakes to lock up themselves.

I did not take pictures of the old Calibers as I was totally shocked to find them in this condition. I own four (4) automobiles and need to keep better records on them to figure out which or what has been done on which when. I am so glad that this happened on my watch instead of during when my mom was using the car.:rolleyes:

Anyway, here are a few pictures of the NEW Calibers, Rotors, and Brake Pads.

Since the emergency visit at the Mechanic Shop resulted in a loosening up the back brakes so, I could get home without locking up, I had to re-adjust them to balance the brakes to work in union with the front brakes (balance).

Lessons Learned:
Always change Brake Fluid regularly as this kind of fluid attacks water molecules and your calibers will rust and you will find yourselves with a similar situation! When replacing front brakes such as rotors and pads, always check the Calibers for proper operation!

#17 ·
Hello New and have been busy with my 4afe geo prizm

Well today and this is interesting because i didnt realize what this would improve or make worse. Put it this way with this little car i was afraid to merge onto the freeway just trying to get to speed and having a big rig breathing down your neck. Well no more.

Ive been building V-8s for quite some time and yes a muffler can make a decent noticeable gain not a lot but some depending if you got the right one for your vehicle. I have never dealt with 4 cyl performance but I recently purchased a 96 Geo Prizm with a 1.6L DOHC for commuting for 600 bucks everything worked even the ac. It seemed weak even for a standard and really quiet and smooth does not come with a Tach either and yes i can feel when its time to change gears, however i wanted a little sound not a lot and this 3a muffler was the only one on the shelf and i wasnt waiting in line again for someone to go and get a different one for me and core back for the starter i only added 23 bucks and was out the door. I came home cut the stock one off and put on the new one. It sounded great not loud and abnoxious or tin can but nice. i went for a drive and got a huge surprise. for instance the car at cruising 70 mph the rpms sounded a little high like 4000 or so. well anyways with the free flow muffler on this car it was like adding 50 to 75 HP to a V8. It ran fast which kinda amazed me now i kinda understand that a little HP in a tuner goes a long way it even gave me longer rpms through each gear got up to 90 and the RPMS were lower then with the stock at 70mph. It just pulled alot harder. And just because its louder doesnt make it faster. In my opinion i dont think that adding headers or high flow cats would add much more HP then just the muffler did. Nor have i ever seen headers or straight pipe help 4 cyl or 6 cyl HP talking. In fact a lot of times you loose HP due to loss of some back pressure. anyways i left the cat and resognator on there and worked wonders I might actually tinker with it a little bit and see how fast i can make it.

In the past month i have put on a starter, battery, alternator, belts, tint, and painted the wheels and added a little lucus with the new oil. The car was not well taken care of by the previous owner. All not really a big deal and now trust the car to go anywhere plus the gas mileage is great. I have a supped f150 with 351 windsor that i was commuting 60 miles a day ouch for gas. I also have a ford taurus with 3.0 which made me work on the side engine to begin with wifes car so no choice still dont like them but learning that taking off most of the engine to replace a piece isnt so bad. You know i have more room all around in the Geo than i have in the taurus.

All in all ive been happy with my little 600 dollar car i want to say it is only the 4th import i have owned in my life have and had a lot of friends with them and helped them here and there. Im a Ford muscle guy mainly but older chevy, dodge muscle before 70s is good to.

#20 ·
Well today and this is interesting because i didnt realize what this would improve or make worse. Put it this way with this little car i was afraid to merge onto the freeway just trying to get to speed and having a big rig breathing down your neck. Well no more.
what muffler did u put on? pic?

#18 ·
Driving to Academy sports & Harbor Freight and brakes started

I took a detour to Autozone to get the stuff for the brakes they just started to squeal when applied. Figured I would get the stuff for the oil change as well. I guess i know what im doing tomorrow. Im glad that parts are pretty inexpensive another month like this last one all the components will be brand new, But better than a 500 or more car payment every month. Have a wonderful weekend

#26 ·
Adjusted the valves (as it turns out, way too loose) and replaced the gasket and plug seals...rocker cover bolts weren't even FINGER tight, and the previous owners couldn't figure out why it was pissing oil into the plug wells.

Removed the power steering belt and idler pulley--turns out PB Blaster is no replacement for bearing grease.

Tomorrow, correct valves AND restoring power steering that's been disabled for about a decade!

On Jez, sadly, still nothing. Waiting for my half of the injured-spouse refund refund (student loans for the CoPiloter, long story) to come back so I can pay to get her started, tuned, and shipped.