Toyota Nation Forum banner

What's that black rubber thing on the Starter

19K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  DannoXYZ 
#1 ·
What is the black rubber thing that sticks out about 2 inches from the side of the starter? Mine fell off when I took the starter off to replace the contacts. The little legs that hold it on broke off so it won't go back on.

I'm wondering if I just leave it off, will that cause any problems when I put the starter back on?

#6 ·
Just had to replace the contacts in this same starter last week.

So the cheap contact/plunger kit that I bought off eBay back in 2013 lasted about 28 months. This was in my daughter's car and it gets a lot of short trips and starts, but considering that the original contacts lasted 16 years, there's a hell of a difference in quality.

I totally forgot about having no vent tube cover on the starter, but never did have any problems or corrosion because of it, though.

#8 ·
WTF, is this some sort of conspiracy? I usually get a complete starter-solenoid since it's so easy to replace. Simple $30 for a solenoid for a Bosch alternator. Same item on a Toyota is $100 for a crappy Duralast? WTF???

BTW, what happens when the replacement contacts fail? They crack/break? Gall?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.