95 Corolla 1.8 timing belt help: finding TDC - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
7th Generation (1993-1997) Specific discussion of the 7th generation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-08-2013, 01:31 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
95 Corolla 1.8 timing belt help: finding TDC

Hi All,

I was replacing my water pump (due to a leak) on my 95 corolla (1.8 5 speed station wagon). I have done the timing belt and water pump before, so this is not new to me.

My problem is this:

I never find TDC before starting. I just pull off the belt, slip the new one on, and leave the car in gear, being careful not to move the crank or cam. Have never had a problem doing it this way.

This time, however, I bumped the cam and it shifted, so I need to find TDC for the crank and cam, but the belt is off already.

I have the cam aligned right (hole at the top), but I don't know which mark in the plastic cover to align the notch on the crank pully with. It only has 10 and 0 marked, and it is very ambiguous as to which of the four marks in the plastic cover is zero. Any input on this?
I have a picture if necessary, but can't find an easy way to upload it.

Also, how do I know which of the strokes the crank is on (since it turns twice as fast as the cam)?

Any input on this would be great. I'm mad at myself for messing this up, and would love to get the car back together and move on.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-08-2013, 01:51 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Toyota View Post
Hi All,

I was replacing my water pump (due to a leak) on my 95 corolla (1.8 5 speed station wagon). I have done the timing belt and water pump before, so this is not new to me.

My problem is this:

I never find TDC before starting. I just pull off the belt, slip the new one on, and leave the car in gear, being careful not to move the crank or cam. Have never had a problem doing it this way.

This time, however, I bumped the cam and it shifted, so I need to find TDC for the crank and cam, but the belt is off already.

I have the cam aligned right (hole at the top), but I don't know which mark in the plastic cover to align the notch on the crank pully with. It only has 10 and 0 marked, and it is very ambiguous as to which of the four marks in the plastic cover is zero. Any input on this?
I have a picture if necessary, but can't find an easy way to upload it.

Also, how do I know which of the strokes the crank is on (since it turns twice as fast as the cam)?

Any input on this would be great. I'm mad at myself for messing this up, and would love to get the car back together and move on.

Thank you!

Yes, I've learned my lesson with doing this. I've had my head off twice since owning mine and I did this to myself once and NEVER again lol

The 0 is your TDC for the crank. Since its a four stroke motor you have to think of it like that. Turn your crank until the notch is at 0. You're #1 piston should be at TDC Compression. Once its at TDCC, roll your Cams together (Notch to Notch inward. Then take your cam gear, and have the crank and cam gear aligned. The hole on top should line up with something else, can't remember off the top of my head. Once you have that set up, take a feeler gauge and make sure your intake valve is open, and your exhaust valve is closed. This means that piston is at TDC intake stroke.

If you have another cylinder that is at compression on the cams but is at TDC, turn the motor over before by hand. This will create a vacuum in the cylinder and could damage something so make sure you turn everything over by hand first and you'll avoid that. Never had anything bad happen but it could.
#3 Old 09-08-2013, 01:59 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the advice.

My problem is this:

The zero (on the plastic cover) is between two marks, so I can't tell which one is actually zero.

Most cars I have seen have 4 marks labeled 15,10,5,and 0. This one has 4 marks, but only numbers ten and zero. The actual "0" is between two marks, so I don't know which one is really zero.

Wish I could post the picture- it would make more sense
#4 Old 09-08-2013, 02:03 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Thanks for the advice.

My problem is this:

The zero (on the plastic cover) is between two marks, so I can't tell which one is actually zero.

Most cars I have seen have 4 marks labeled 15,10,5,and 0. This one has 4 marks, but only numbers ten and zero. The actual "0" is between two marks, so I don't know which one is really zero.

Wish I could post the picture- it would make more sense

Are you trying to do this from the top of the car?
#5 Old 09-08-2013, 02:08 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Top and bottom. I have the car on jackstands, with the front right wheel and plastic cover off the bottom.
#6 Old 09-08-2013, 02:25 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Top and bottom. I have the car on jackstands, with the front right wheel and plastic cover off the bottom.
Your timing cover must be different than mine. What I have is a notch, then a notch with a 0 over it then another notch. If you're wondering which notch to use, I used the notch before the zero. My car runs great. I had a picoscope on it and the timing is spot on.
#7 Old 09-09-2013, 12:00 AM
Just play along....

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Marks can be off especially when people mix and match parts. Put a long screwdriver in #1 cylinder and turn the engine by hand SLOWLY until the screwdriver stops rising. Then you can confirm your TDC marks.

Since you already have the belt off, you shouldnt have to turn the crank very much. Be careful! Too far and you can bend a valve or two.

I use this method all the time to do leakdown testing. The other cylinders dont have marks.

-SP

Last edited by speedy25; 09-09-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 7th Generation (1993-1997)