Windshield washer nozzle spray - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
7th Generation (1993-1997) Specific discussion of the 7th generation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-01-2014, 08:07 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Windshield washer nozzle spray

I want to get different nozzle sprays for my car, the ones that spray in a mist instead of the straight beam sprays that are stock on my car.

Are all toyota washer nozzle sprays universal on any other toyota car?
Im assuming I can just grab the nozzle sprays off newer toyotas and just plug in play or are the designs different on some models?

I was thinking I can probably just use those nozzle sprays off them new corollas and it should fit fine but Im not sure. Looking to get a set for my 1997 toyota corolla dx and 2004 toyota corolla s.

If anyone knows any/all the part numbers for the nozzle sprays that work with my cars that would be great thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-02-2014, 09:29 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
I'm no expert here and I've never fooled with them but I have a couple of thoughts

First I would assume that a nozzle is a nozzle... I don't think you would have any functionality problems with a different nozzle. If if fits the hose, I'm sure it will spray.

Mounting on the other hand may be an issue. Finding some that fit in the holes in your hood may be difficult.

In situations like this a pick and pull is your best friend. Take one of yours off and see what might fit.

1994 Camry LE 5SFE/Auto
Enkei VR5's, with 225/40R18's
Pioneer DEH6400BT
Rockford Fosgate 1050S
2 PowerBass M-10's
Big 3, Viper 211 Keyless Entry
#3 Old 01-04-2014, 03:26 AM
TIEyota fighter ace

85381-12280 is the part number for the mist nozzle for 05-08s. I can't remember if this is supposed to be a direct bolt-up for the 7th-gen or if I got that from the 8th-gen forums, but it's supposed to fit ONE of them. Let us know!

---- Bug, 82 TE72, 3TC/A40 -------|- Jezebel, 96 AE102, 7AGE/A245E --

#4 Old 01-04-2014, 12:12 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Im just guessing here for the 9th generation since you said the mist nozzle spray is for 05-08 corollas then from 03-04 they are the jet nozzle spray?

Well atleast on my 04 corolla the nozzle spray has 3 holes that jet spray and on my 97 corolla it has 2 holes that jet spray.

Since Im already buying it for sure for my 04 corolla, Ill give it a try and see if it that nozzle will also fit my 97 corolla. Im hoping everything will be plug and play.

Last edited by mr_g; 01-04-2014 at 12:28 PM.
#5 Old 01-04-2014, 10:44 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
The nozzles from the 9g Corolla fits but does not work well on 7g. The hood is steeper on the later Corollas, so their nozzles are aimed lower. The spray ends up hitting the windshield very low when installed on a 7th gen.

What does work well is the nozzles from similar years of Camry. I don't have the part number handy, though I have an extra pair kicking around somewhere with the part number on the packaging.

For the Camry nozzles, and I think the 9g corolla too, the hose barb points in a different direction from our original nozzles, so the hoses don't quite reach comfortably. Plan to replace the piece of hose feeding the y that splits off to the two nozzles with something a few inches longer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luns For This Useful Post:
hardtopte72 (01-06-2014), Piloter (01-05-2014)
#6 Old 01-04-2014, 11:07 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luns View Post
The nozzles from the 9g Corolla fits but does not work well on 7g. The hood is steeper on the later Corollas, so their nozzles are aimed lower. The spray ends up hitting the windshield very low when installed on a 7th gen.

What does work well is the nozzles from similar years of Camry. I don't have the part number handy, though I have an extra pair kicking around somewhere with the part number on the packaging.

For the Camry nozzles, and I think the 9g corolla too, the hose barb points in a different direction from our original nozzles, so the hoses don't quite reach comfortably. Plan to replace the piece of hose feeding the y that splits off to the two nozzles with something a few inches longer.
I happened to look at the nozzle parts for the 10th gen at an online parts dealer. It actually looks like you can buy them in several angle configurations, from -2 to +2. Not sure what (if any) configuration might work for a 7th gen. Look at the various configurations of item #15 in this link (2013 Corolla LE wiper/washer parts): http://www.oemtoyotascionparts.com/p...her-components

Last edited by 94RollaDad; 01-04-2014 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Uh, I meant the 10th gen, obviously... doh.
#7 Old 01-04-2014, 11:12 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94RollaDad View Post
I happened to look at the nozzle parts for the 10th gen at an online parts dealer. It actually looks like you can buy them in several angle configurations, from -2 to +2. Not sure what (if any) configuration might work for a 7th gen. Look at the various configurations of item #15 in this link (2013 Corolla LE wiper/washer parts): http://www.oemtoyotascionparts.com/p...her-components
If I'm not mistaken, those mount on a bulkhead under the edge of the hood and wouldn't work for us.
#8 Old 01-04-2014, 11:13 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, those mount on a bulkhead under the edge of the hood and wouldn't work for us.
Ah ok. Nevermind then
#9 Old 01-05-2014, 10:44 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:

So for the camry nozzles are you talking about the 5th generation or 6th generation?

If you can get the part number for those camry nozzles for me that would be awesome thanks.

Last edited by mr_g; 01-05-2014 at 10:48 AM.
#10 Old 01-05-2014, 08:30 PM
Token Aussie

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Did you try adjusting them? Most washer jets can be adjusted by unfolding the end of a paperclip and sticking it into the spray, you'd only need a couple of degrees adjustment

Charlene - 1997 AE102 Conquest sedan: Let the JDM optioning begin
Billie - 1981 KE55 SE sedan: GONE
Rosie - 1986 AE82 Twincam Seca: GONE

Charlie - 1988 ST62 SX: GONE
Lexi - 1995 JZZ30 GT-T: Hunting n00bs in Skylines
#11 Old 01-05-2014, 11:26 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonist View Post
Did you try adjusting them? Most washer jets can be adjusted by unfolding the end of a paperclip and sticking it into the spray, you'd only need a couple of degrees adjustment
You're thinking of the ball/socket style of washer jet that people are trying to change away from, not the fan spray type of nozzle that people are looking to change to, which is not adjustable.

The fan spray nozzles are a relatively new design that Bowles fluidics has licensed to more and more automakers over the last 15 years or so. These nozzles have a rectangular module with a resonant chamber and lateral fluid channels that basically function as a whistle to make the jet of water coming out oscillate from side to side so quickly that all you see is a fan of water. The module is pressed into a housing of the automaker's design, originally as a hood or cowl mounted head like the legacy nozzles.

The nozzles are sensitive to getting clogged (often from people waxing their cars) so in more recent years, automakers have moved to putting the sprayers under the edge of the hood. Being so much closer to the glass, the aim needs to be much more precise, hence the variety of different nozzles available for the 10g Corolla that were mentioned.
The Following User Says Thank You to luns For This Useful Post:
hardtopte72 (01-06-2014)
#12 Old 01-05-2014, 11:51 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
I should add that while the Camry nozzles worked pretty well, they did still hit a little low to my liking though much better than the Corolla nozzle. It was good enough that I stopped looking for better, but I did have a next step to try if the Camry washers were unsatisfactory. The Camry and Corolla nozzles have a single chip, but there was some other car on the Toyota lot that had two chips in the nozzle when I was looking (around 2008). This would give two spray fans per head, one on top of the other. I'm not sure any more whether it was an Avalon or Venza, or something else, but a friendly parts guy could help figure it out.

#13 Old 01-06-2014, 01:04 AM
Token Aussie

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
You're thinking of the ball/socket style of washer jet that people are trying to change away from, not the fan spray type of nozzle that people are looking to change to, which is not adjustable.

The fan spray nozzles are a relatively new design that Bowles fluidics has licensed to more and more automakers over the last 15 years or so. These nozzles have a rectangular module with a resonant chamber and lateral fluid channels that basically function as a whistle to make the jet of water coming out oscillate from side to side so quickly that all you see is a fan of water. The module is pressed into a housing of the automaker's design, originally as a hood or cowl mounted head like the legacy nozzles.

The nozzles are sensitive to getting clogged (often from people waxing their cars) so in more recent years, automakers have moved to putting the sprayers under the edge of the hood. Being so much closer to the glass, the aim needs to be much more precise, hence the variety of different nozzles available for the 10g Corolla that were mentioned.
Ahh, figured they had just changed the nozzle shape from jet to fan but kept the body the same

Charlene - 1997 AE102 Conquest sedan: Let the JDM optioning begin
Billie - 1981 KE55 SE sedan: GONE
Rosie - 1986 AE82 Twincam Seca: GONE

Charlie - 1988 ST62 SX: GONE
Lexi - 1995 JZZ30 GT-T: Hunting n00bs in Skylines
#14 Old 01-06-2014, 02:38 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
There was some other car on the Toyota lot that had two chips in the nozzle when I was looking (around 2008). This would give two spray fans per head, one on top of the other. I'm not sure any more whether it was an Avalon or Venza, or something else, but a friendly parts guy could help figure it out.
I remember now, it was a Solara that had the double chip head.

I think the part numbers are:

85381-aa042 - single chip 04-06 Camry nozzle (also replaces 02-03)
85381-aa050 - dual chip 04-08 Solara nozzle

I don't know how the aim of the Solara nozzle is, but with two sprays, I'm sure there'll be decent coverage where it counts. The Camry nozzle hits just a little bit lower than I would like, but worked well enough.

I'd encourage anybody interested in experimenting to try out the Solara nozzle first and report back. Anyone who wants to go with the Camry nozzles, PM me - I should still have a set.

Last edited by luns; 01-06-2014 at 02:41 AM.
#15 Old 01-06-2014, 02:33 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
What do you mean by dual chip? Are you taking about it having 2 fan/mist sprays built into the nozzle instead of one?

Last edited by mr_g; 01-06-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 7th Generation (1993-1997)