The epic Old Clunky build thread! (95 1.6 5spd base Corolla) - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

7th Generation (1993-1997) Specific discussion of the 7th generation

 409Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 598 Old 06-14-2014, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member
 
greentrees2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Earth, but not for long
Posts: 559
Thanks: 3
Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
The epic Old Clunky build thread! (95 1.6 5spd base Corolla)

Thank you all for a great forum. I've read a bunch in the last few days and see how very helpful and kind you all are. I've been turning wrenches and modding cars for many years now, I love cars and look forward to learning/improving this one.

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a 1995 Corolla 1.6 5spd with 151,001 miles for $1500. The car has had regular oil changes but that's about it. I don't think it had been washed in 10 years, and the clear coat on the hood is peeling. But I cleaned it up real nice, did a timing belt, the 2 center motor mounts, some brake work, a window tint, pinstripes, a DIY intake, some random plasti-dipping, and a bit of other odds and ends, and it's in decent shape. The good news is that it drives straight and smooth, the AC is ice cold, and everything works. Well, everything isn't much seeing that it doesn't even have a clock. But it's an endearing little car, my 2nd Corolla, and I like it.

I'm averaging 32mpg city and recently got 38mpg on a 330-mile highway trip. That's awesome.

I've got the major stuff done, next I'm on the hunt for a few used parts, such as a tachometer, rear view mirror, split folding rear seats, etc. I might do some interior LEDs and maybe headlights eventually. I'm heading to our local PullaPart next week to see what I can find.

I have a bunch of questions, but first here are a few pictures:











OK, here are my questions, please help if you can:

1. MOUNTS
In an effort to end my car's insane rattling, I replaced the two center mounts, that bottom one was a bastard....anyhow, it helped a good bit but there is still rattling. It lessens as the car warms up. Are the other 2 mounts worth replacing? If so, can someone direct me to a write-up?

2. HEADLIGHTS
I cleaned up the headlights but I'm considering buying a new set....I found the ballast set on eBay for about $54 shipped. Are these crap or are they worthy? I don't care about having the JDM look or any of that, I just want some headlights that look better and aren't so yellowed.

3. RATTLES
As I mentioned above it has lots of rattles, I've stuffed foam in the bumper and all around here and there and taken care of alot of it, but there are still some rattles I can't diagnose. Any ideas about common causes of rattles beyond the mounts would be awesome.

4. MODS
I see there is an inexpensive short shifter and also a cheap header ($78) on eBay. Are these any good, and does the header make any noticeable difference or not? A little more torque would be swell for this car.

!!!

Thanks again for the forum, I appreciate your help with these questions!!!

Jeff

************************************************** ***************
EDIT: I'm using post #1 to keep my repair/option/modification list up to date:

REPAIRS
Newish hood
Painted wiper arms
Timing belt/water pump
Engine mounts - all 4
Brakes - front
New ball joints
New springs - front
New CV axles - front

TUNE UP 07/2015
OEM = fuel filter, PCV valve, grommet, distributor cap, rotor button, valve cover gasket, nut seals, nut caps, 16 valve EFI sticker, spark plug tube seals, connector cover
Aftermarket = red plug wires, Denso Iridium plugs, Royal Purple 10w-30 and Purolator filter

OPTIONS ADDED
New "C" grill custom, painted
Black side molding
Mudflaps
Adjustable mirrors
G emblems
Decklid spoiler
Trunk garnish
Gauge cluster with tachometer
Crotch vent
New sunvisors
Armrest
Wood grain trim
Multi-box

CUSTOM MODIFICATIONS
New headlights and sidelights
Clear turn signal corners
Fog lights
Pinstripes
Tint
Plastidip bottom sills black
Wheels from '01 S model
Tinted license plate frame
Five speed badge
Plastidip rear badges
TRD gear shift knob
Steering wheel from '01 S model
Toyota old-school steering wheel medallion
6" front door speakers
Camry rearview mirror
Painted headliner
Painted glove box and airbag black
Time travel system
Front license hole delete "Corolla" plate
Custom cold air intake
Header
TRD 8th gen strut tower bar
Home link mod
Exhaust tip/paint muffler black
Front lip
Toyota security switch, useless
Short shifter
Aluminum shifter base bushings
Spherical shift bushings
Royal Purple Max Gear 75w-90 transmission fluid
Valve cover/plenum cover painted red/black scheme
Jet spray system

Last edited by greentrees2; 11-28-2015 at 06:45 PM. Reason: More more more mods!!
greentrees2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 598 Old 06-14-2014, 06:04 PM
Russian Bear
 
Haloruler64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 7,979
Thanks: 339
Thanked 505 Times in 479 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1489 Post(s)
Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Nice find! It looks like it's in great condition.

By center mounts, I assume you changed the front and rear mounts? Those help with shifting smoother, but they don't get rid of much rattle. I replaced them as well, and my car still vibrates. However, these two mounts take the most abuse so it's important to replace them. The mount that makes the MOST difference is the passenger side mount, but it's also the most expensive. And of course, you should replace both driver and passenger side mounts in pairs. I suggest using only OEM parts, as those who go aftermarket notice that the mounts go bad really fast. Here are the write ups:

Passenger Side Motor Mount Replacement

Drivers Side Motor Mount Replacement - 1997 1.6L Engine & Auto Transmission

As you can see, the two mounts aren't very difficult to change.

What headlights are you interested in? I suggest not getting the eBay JDM style headlights for these reasons: They require rewiring, they yellow really fast, they require a JDM grill, and their light output is TERRIBLE. Just terrible. The eBay projector headlights are better, but still not great and tend to yellow as well, but not always. You may be better off keeping the original headlights.

If you're REALLY interested in getting better light output, genuine JDM headlights are the way to go. I have a set of BZ Touring headlights on my Corolla and the light output, for halogen reflectors, is absolutely fantastic. Great even light distribution, great range, great spread to the sides of the road, and a sharp cutoff. However, they're pricey. A cheaper method is to get the non-BZ headlights without the clear lenses. The light output is also fantastic and I'm sure they're cheaper.

Whatever you do, don't get HID kits from eBay. They'll get rid of your cutoff and blind the ever loving crap out of everyone, and there is no way to adjust them down because, well, they shine EVERYWHERE. And won't even be brighter. Since the light is going everywhere and not being focused, the amount of light you're throwing onto the road is highly diminished. Stick with halogen bulbs, and if you want brighter halogen bulbs, you can get Silverstar Ultra bulbs. They burn out faster, but damn are they bright. I use a set and I love them.

EBay headers work well from what I hear, so it's probably a good idea to get one. Don't expect drastic changes, but I hear it improves throttle response and torque. Also consider getting a true cold air intake. You now have a short ram, which just sucks in all the hot air from your engine bay. Hot air = less density = less oxygen = less performance. A cold air intake will draw in cold air. Here's a DIY:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/13...e-bicycle.html

In general, there's a TON of good stuff in the DIY page. It's at the top of the Corolla section, so definitely check it out. A few other good mods to do are a front strut bar (preferably something without hinges, it'll make the car much more solid) and lowering springs on new struts.
David Nichols likes this.
Haloruler64 is offline  
post #3 of 598 Old 06-14-2014, 06:16 PM
Official TN Member
 
ajay842's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Missouri
Posts: 882
Thanks: 6
Thanked 83 Times in 82 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Nice, looks in good shape. If you want a clock I actually just got one from junkyard. I have it listed on Ebay, here is a link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MESE:IT
I actually bought one from Haloruler right before I found this one. Ah well.
Good luck with the car!
ajay842 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 598 Old 06-14-2014, 06:17 PM
Official TN Member
 
mobiless2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 371
Thanks: 6
Thanked 26 Times in 25 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Jeff, Welcome to TN.

1&3 are associated, the passenger mount causes alot of vibration. Once it's replaced I think most of the rattle will be gone. Also I had a broken lower bumper bracket, once I replaced it, the rest of the rattle disappeared.

2 You mentioned ballast, are you installing HID's?

4 Can't help with short shifter since I have auto's. I replaced cracked OEM manifold with an inexpensive header, don't know how much it helped, but do notice it helps in higher rpm. I had an issue where it touched engine cradle causing vibration, issue was worn rear mount with you replaced.
mobiless2 is offline  
post #5 of 598 Old 06-14-2014, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member
 
greentrees2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Earth, but not for long
Posts: 559
Thanks: 3
Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Wow thanks for the quick replies fellas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haloruler64 View Post
Nice find! It looks like it's in great condition.

By center mounts, I assume you changed the front and rear mounts? Those help with shifting smoother, but they don't get rid of much rattle. I replaced them as well, and my car still vibrates. However, these two mounts take the most abuse so it's important to replace them. The mount that makes the MOST difference is the passenger side mount, but it's also the most expensive. And of course, you should replace both driver and passenger side mounts in pairs. I suggest using only OEM parts, as those who go aftermarket notice that the mounts go bad really fast. Here are the write ups:

Passenger Side Motor Mount Replacement

Drivers Side Motor Mount Replacement - 1997 1.6L Engine & Auto Transmission

As you can see, the two mounts aren't very difficult to change.

What headlights are you interested in? I suggest not getting the eBay JDM style headlights for these reasons: They require rewiring, they yellow really fast, they require a JDM grill, and their light output is TERRIBLE. Just terrible. The eBay projector headlights are better, but still not great and tend to yellow as well, but not always. You may be better off keeping the original headlights.

If you're REALLY interested in getting better light output, genuine JDM headlights are the way to go. I have a set of BZ Touring headlights on my Corolla and the light output, for halogen reflectors, is absolutely fantastic. Great even light distribution, great range, great spread to the sides of the road, and a sharp cutoff. However, they're pricey. A cheaper method is to get the non-BZ headlights without the clear lenses. The light output is also fantastic and I'm sure they're cheaper.

Whatever you do, don't get HID kits from eBay. They'll get rid of your cutoff and blind the ever loving crap out of everyone, and there is no way to adjust them down because, well, they shine EVERYWHERE. And won't even be brighter. Since the light is going everywhere and not being focused, the amount of light you're throwing onto the road is highly diminished. Stick with halogen bulbs, and if you want brighter halogen bulbs, you can get Silverstar Ultra bulbs. They burn out faster, but damn are they bright. I use a set and I love them.

EBay headers work well from what I hear, so it's probably a good idea to get one. Don't expect drastic changes, but I hear it improves throttle response and torque. Also consider getting a true cold air intake. You now have a short ram, which just sucks in all the hot air from your engine bay. Hot air = less density = less oxygen = less performance. A cold air intake will draw in cold air. Here's a DIY:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/13...e-bicycle.html

In general, there's a TON of good stuff in the DIY page. It's at the top of the Corolla section, so definitely check it out. A few other good mods to do are a front strut bar (preferably something without hinges, it'll make the car much more solid) and lowering springs on new struts.
I remember from looking at your thread that you're Russian I think. I speak a bit of Russian, I've been learning as I go to Ukraine regularly. In fact, I just got back last week from a trip. Amazing place, amazing people.

Thanks for the links. I replaced the 2 in the center, one in front of the engine and one behind, down low. Here are pics:




I'll check out those links and see about cost. Trying not to spend too much money here, the ones I already replaced were torn pretty bad so I replaced them, but I don't know that I'd spend $200 on the other 2 just for sound. Diminishing returns.

These are the headlights I'm considering. Nothing special, just better looking:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Corol...4a5ce9&vxp=mtr

I was hoping someone with the header would chime in. Yes you are correct about the short ram, I put it on to save money (cleanable filter vs. buying new ones) but was aware of heat soak.

Thanks again for such a lengthy and helpful reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay842 View Post
Nice, looks in good shape. If you want a clock I actually just got one from junkyard. I have it listed on Ebay, here is a link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MESE:IT
I actually bought one from Haloruler right before I found this one. Ah well.
Good luck with the car!
Thanks, I'll check that out. Actually it's kind of nice having no clock. A stark contrast from my last car, a TSX, which had every imaginable option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiless2 View Post
Jeff, Welcome to TN.

1&3 are associated, the passenger mount causes alot of vibration. Once it's replaced I think most of the rattle will be gone. Also I had a broken lower bumper bracket, once I replaced it, the rest of the rattle disappeared.

2 You mentioned ballast, are you installing HID's?

4 Can't help with short shifter since I have auto's. I replaced cracked OEM manifold with an inexpensive header, don't know how much it helped, but do notice it helps in higher rpm. I had an issue where it touched engine cradle causing vibration, issue was worn rear mount with you replaced.
No HIDs, just wanted cleaner nicer housings, that's what I meant. As for the header, I figured that was the case. The cheap price is tempting, but I realize it's probably not much.



Thanks again to all!
greentrees2 is offline  
post #6 of 598 Old 06-14-2014, 10:00 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 553
Thanks: 211
Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrees2 View Post
Thank you all for a great forum. I've read a bunch in the last few days and see how very helpful and kind you all are. I've been turning wrenches and modding cars for many years now, I love cars and look forward to learning/improving this one.

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a 1995 Corolla 1.6 5spd with 151,001 miles for $1500. The car has had regular oil changes but that's about it. I don't think it had been washed in 10 years, and the clear coat on the hood is peeling. But I cleaned it up real nice, did a timing belt, the 2 center motor mounts, some brake work, a window tint, pinstripes, a DIY intake, some random plasti-dipping, and a bit of other odds and ends, and it's in decent shape. The good news is that it drives straight and smooth, the AC is ice cold, and everything works. Well, everything isn't much seeing that it doesn't even have a clock. But it's an endearing little car, my 2nd Corolla, and I like it.

I'm averaging 32mpg city and recently got 38mpg on a 330-mile highway trip. That's awesome.

I've got the major stuff done, next I'm on the hunt for a few used parts, such as a tachometer, rear view mirror, split folding rear seats, etc. I might do some interior LEDs and maybe headlights eventually. I'm heading to our local PullaPart next week to see what I can find.

I have a bunch of questions, but first here are a few pictures:











OK, here are my questions, please help if you can:

1. MOUNTS
In an effort to end my car's insane rattling, I replaced the two center mounts, that bottom one was a bastard....anyhow, it helped a good bit but there is still rattling. It lessens as the car warms up. Are the other 2 mounts worth replacing? If so, can someone direct me to a write-up?

2. HEADLIGHTS
I cleaned up the headlights but I'm considering buying a new set....I found the ballast set on eBay for about $54 shipped. Are these crap or are they worthy? I don't care about having the JDM look or any of that, I just want some headlights that look better and aren't so yellowed.

3. RATTLES
As I mentioned above it has lots of rattles, I've stuffed foam in the bumper and all around here and there and taken care of alot of it, but there are still some rattles I can't diagnose. Any ideas about common causes of rattles beyond the mounts would be awesome.

4. MODS
I see there is an inexpensive short shifter and also a cheap header ($78) on eBay. Are these any good, and does the header make any noticeable difference or not? A little more torque would be swell for this car.

!!!

Thanks again for the forum, I appreciate your help with these questions!!!

Jeff

Hello,

I don't know much about cars, but the guys here helped me learn a bit.

I too had, not so long ago, an old Corolla(1997) without a clock. Badge of honor to me in some strange way. My car was the same color as yours. Really good color dirt wise. Loved the car, little trooper.

You never gave enough details regarding where your rattle sounds were coming from. I had rattle sounds from the rear. Never got it fixed, but was told here that it may have been my rear sway bar links, sway bar, or maybe strut mount.

I know the original mounts, especially the passenger side mounts cost a lot, but if your are committed to keeping this car running well, maybe good to replace it if you think it needs replacing and mileage wise probably does need it. And like Halo said, best to replace in pairs. I had a passenger side mount that got so bad that it was causing "evil" sounds from under the hood since things were shifting under there. Not good for under the hood parts, I would think.
ceci is offline  
post #7 of 598 Old 06-14-2014, 10:32 PM
Russian Bear
 
Haloruler64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 7,979
Thanks: 339
Thanked 505 Times in 479 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1489 Post(s)
Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Glad to help!

Awesome! I'm from Ukraine. I love it there. Out of curiosity, how did you justify going when it's so unstable there? I've put off my trip to Ukraine for this reason.

Yeah the side engine mounts are expensive. I paid $260 for two, the passenger one was $160 alone. Unfortunate, but something I really wanted to do. I doubt it's very important for the longevity of the car though, so you don't need to do it.

I would be wary of aftermarket OEM-style headlights. People on these forums have purchased them and noticed fitment issues, though the light output is satisfactory. You may be better off keeping your originals.
Haloruler64 is offline  
post #8 of 598 Old 06-14-2014, 11:16 PM
Just play along....
 
speedy25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NE oHIo
Posts: 3,210
Thanks: 26
Thanked 313 Times in 298 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Stock headlights haze badly and I havent found a secret to makeing them stay clear. Pick something you like on fleabay. Watch out for the bulb type unless you like doing wiring.

While many swear to the passenger mount being the one that they replace most, I have found the front and rear mounts the only ones that are torn.

Cheap headers seem to be a easy way to replace a stock manifold but I'm not expecting any incredible HP increases.

-SP
speedy25 is offline  
post #9 of 598 Old 06-15-2014, 04:24 AM
Senior TN Member
 
Pete Suhman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Cincinnata
Posts: 3,384
Thanks: 435
Thanked 184 Times in 181 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
The clock is easy. Grab one at You-Pull-&-Pray or from the above post or wherever, along with its connecting harness. Just cut the harness out of the donor, and then splice it into the appropriate wires in your radio harness. I did it following wiring diagrams I found on the interwebs.

When I had my '90, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the harness and connector were already there, making the upgrade even easier.
Pete Suhman is offline  
post #10 of 598 Old 06-15-2014, 04:42 AM
Senior TN Member
 
deeder7001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 1,652
Thanks: 3
Thanked 51 Times in 51 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Is your car silver? I can't tell for some reason(probably just tired, or my TV/monitor color sucks)
deeder7001 is offline  
post #11 of 598 Old 06-15-2014, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member
 
greentrees2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Earth, but not for long
Posts: 559
Thanks: 3
Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceci View Post
You never gave enough details regarding where your rattle sounds were coming from. I had rattle sounds from the rear. Never got it fixed, but was told here that it may have been my rear sway bar links, sway bar, or maybe strut mount.

I know the original mounts, especially the passenger side mounts cost a lot, but if your are committed to keeping this car running well, maybe good to replace it if you think it needs replacing and mileage wise probably does need it. And like Halo said, best to replace in pairs. I had a passenger side mount that got so bad that it was causing "evil" sounds from under the hood since things were shifting under there. Not good for under the hood parts, I would think.
Rattles are coming from front. The front was hit sometime in the past but not too hard, but I think the bumper cover styrofoam and more is broken, the bumper causes some noise but I fixed most of that by adding foam. The other pita rattle comes from somewhere in the dashboard, I took the center console out and drove around with it off to try and isolate the rattle but couldn't. With all that unplugged the turn signals don't work so I didn't spend too much time with it off. I need to try again. The problem is, in order to hear the rattle I have to be driving around which isn't safe without signals.

I'm gonna get both mounts but see about less expensive ones. I hear what you guys are saying about quality issues but I can't spend $260 to fix a noise, the car is too old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haloruler64 View Post
Glad to help!

Awesome! I'm from Ukraine. I love it there. Out of curiosity, how did you justify going when it's so unstable there? I've put off my trip to Ukraine for this reason.

I would be wary of aftermarket OEM-style headlights. People on these forums have purchased them and noticed fitment issues, though the light output is satisfactory. You may be better off keeping your originals.
I think I'll stick with my stock lights. I've bought cheapo lights in the past and ended up getting a refund, if you guys have had issues with cheap housings I'll just be content with it as is.

I have many friends in Kiev and have been there twice in the last year. It is an awesome place and very dear to my heart. I am involved in mission work there with my church and some orphanages. I was leery to go but the trip was amazing. Some of my friends actually were in the maiden area when the shooting first began. I spent much time there and saw the protest camps, it was very sobering. Interestingly, my trip there last year is part of what led me to eventually buy my Corolla. But that's another story. I have many pictures, if you're interested I can post a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy25 View Post
Stock headlights haze badly and I havent found a secret to makeing them stay clear. Pick something you like on fleabay. Watch out for the bulb type unless you like doing wiring.

While many swear to the passenger mount being the one that they replace most, I have found the front and rear mounts the only ones that are torn.

Cheap headers seem to be a easy way to replace a stock manifold but I'm not expecting any incredible HP increases.

-SP
I think I'll be disappointed with the header from what you guys are saying. I've done plenty of exhaust work over the years and know by now that it doesn't make too big a difference. Just thought I'd ask since the header is so cheap.

THANKS again to all for your thoughts.
Haloruler64 likes this.
greentrees2 is offline  
post #12 of 598 Old 06-15-2014, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member
 
greentrees2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Earth, but not for long
Posts: 559
Thanks: 3
Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeder7001 View Post
Is your car silver? I can't tell for some reason(probably just tired, or my TV/monitor color sucks)
It is gold.
greentrees2 is offline  
post #13 of 598 Old 06-15-2014, 04:51 AM
Russian Bear
 
Haloruler64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 7,979
Thanks: 339
Thanked 505 Times in 479 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1489 Post(s)
Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrees2 View Post
Rattles are coming from front. The front was hit sometime in the past but not too hard, but I think the bumper cover styrofoam and more is broken, the bumper causes some noise but I fixed most of that by adding foam. The other pita rattle comes from somewhere in the dashboard, I took the center console out and drove around with it off to try and isolate the rattle but couldn't. With all that unplugged the turn signals don't work so I didn't spend too much time with it off. I need to try again. The problem is, in order to hear the rattle I have to be driving around which isn't safe without signals.

I'm gonna get both mounts but see about less expensive ones. I hear what you guys are saying about quality issues but I can't spend $260 to fix a noise, the car is too old.



I think I'll stick with my stock lights. I've bought cheapo lights in the past and ended up getting a refund, if you guys have had issues with cheap housings I'll just be content with it as is.

I have many friends in Kiev and have been there twice in the last year. It is an awesome place and very dear to my heart. I am involved in mission work there with my church and some orphanages. I was leery to go but the trip was amazing. Some of my friends actually were in the maiden area when the shooting first began. I spent much time there and saw the protest camps, it was very sobering. Interestingly, my trip there last year is part of what led me to eventually buy my Corolla. But that's another story. I have many pictures, if you're interested I can post a few.


I think I'll be disappointed with the header from what you guys are saying. I've done plenty of exhaust work over the years and know by now that it doesn't make too big a difference. Just thought I'd ask since the header is so cheap.

THANKS again to all for your thoughts.
I'd appreciate if you PMed me with some of those photos definitely interested! Also interested in how it lead to a Corolla lol.

Yeah engine mounts may not be worth your money. But I don't think cheap engine mounts that'll last a year or two are worth money either, it's buying a small amount of time. You may want to leave it as it is.

I'm definitely getting a header in the near future. I might as well, a bit of extra kick is worth it to me.
Haloruler64 is offline  
post #14 of 598 Old 06-15-2014, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member
 
greentrees2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Earth, but not for long
Posts: 559
Thanks: 3
Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Thanks Halo, I appreciate the thoughts.

Once you get the mounts and header on I'd really enjoy hearing your impression of both.

I'm gonna look into different mount options, I see they vary greatly in price. I might pick a middle of the road option. The car is pretty old, I'm being careful with needs vs. wants in terms of what I spend on it. $80 for a header is great if it improves performance and gas mileage. $240 for mounts is a bit more than I'm willing to pay for less cabin noise. I'll report back once I do some research, and in the meantime I look forward to hearing your review of the OEM mounts.

I'll throw up some pics of my Kiev trip last week for all to see.

This first picture is me standing at a memorial wall in the Maiden area. These bricks were taken from the streets to use as weapons and wall building during the recent revolution. This area where I am is a memorial to the many civilians killed by the government during the protests.



This is one of many burned out cars in the square. Signs of violence and protest are everywhere.



These next 2 are my friend Sergey, part of the church I was working with while there. His tattoo was inspiring so I snapped a few pictures.




A year ago I visited Kiev for the first time. I was struck by many things. The simplicity of the people and the beauty of the culture touched me deeply. This left me really thinking about my life. In Kiev and also in Kremenchuk, most of the cars driven there are not nearly as nice as our Corollas. Very poor economy, awful conditions for many people. My cat has a more luxurious life than most people in Ukraine. This moved me deeply and made me really begin to reexamine my priorities in life, beginning about a year ago. I became disturbed by how sanitized and ordered everything seems to be so often, and how much beauty we miss because of our prosperity and perceived control of our lives. My life. One of many results of this was me selling my car and looking for something more modest, hence the Corolla. I am in a time in my life where I am focusing much less on what is outside, and much more on what is inside. This may sound crazy but it is all part of my faith, which is the center of my life. So it is a bit crazy. But the more my life is about things that I cannot see or touch or explain, the truly richer it is.

From the serious to the silly, here's a final picture....my brother enjoys making fun of my cars, and this pic below is a photoshop he did of my Corolla, he called it the "Jeff 3000". Enjoy.

Chris94, zythr, deeder7001 and 2 others like this.
greentrees2 is offline  
post #15 of 598 Old 06-15-2014, 09:26 AM
Senior TN Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,998
Thanks: 383
Thanked 257 Times in 242 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Welcome to the forum! What a beautiful ride and a great story, thank you for sharing!

I've been trying to diagnose some of the many rattles my car has had as well, and I've reduced them by quite a bit. My car was in an accident before I purchased it, but I don't think it was anything major. It was also rear ended ever so slightly since I've owned it. Some of what I've done as far as reducing rattles are: 4 new engine mounts, new exhaust hangars, the flange where the muffler bolts to the exhaust pipe was loose and making noise, tightened/replaced various missing bolts that secure the front bumper and the header, I removed an aftermarket car alarm that was zip tied to a brace inside the dashboard below the steering wheel, and removed the old tape player since the power cable wasn't connected to anything and was loose. So far I believe my remaining rattles are due to poorly fitting aftermarket head lights. They don't even have the lower support clip, and neither did the grill. They sort of wobble when you push on them. I do still have dash rattle, and I'm not sure if something is loose or what. I suspect it's the wiring from the cd player sitting against some of the a/c duct work behind it. (I think this because a new rattle appeared when I removed the cd player and reinstalled it)

The 4 engine mounts are really what made the biggest difference, and gave my mpg a boost.

When I ordered my forward exhaust hangar, it was actually Japan made. I asked the tech from www.oemtoyotascionparts.com for helping finding it as I had previously ordered the wrong part. He told me that there was no difference on where the part was made, and that they tend to sell Japan made parts once the U.S. made parts have run out. I'd call to ask about engine mounts though.
M4Fade likes this.
Chris94 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 7th Generation (1993-1997)

Bookmarks

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Back