Toyota Nation Forum banner

Marshall's '94 Corolla (SLOW going project!)

37K views 361 replies 26 participants last post by  75aces 
#1 ·
Hello all. Been spending (way too much) time on here, learning and gathering idea's. Thanks to all of you for posting so much good stuff.

The car is a 1994 DX with the 1.8 and an automatic.

Here is my little beauty on the day I drove her home last summer, leaky rad hose and all. I had to cut the corner off the bumper off to make it drivable.

I thought the damage was lighter than it was, and that I could straighten it out myself. I was wrong!

The frame rail was over pretty far, at least too far for a come-a-long and a tree. Had to take it to a frame shop. They did an OK job, but the rail is still pushed back an inch or so, which I can work with.

I thought about parting it out after discovering the extent of the damage, but with the mileage on this one owner car, I decided to put it back on the road.

It had only 74K when I bought it.

See less See more
#177 ·
Filled up today and got 29.2 MPG! As long as I keep getting that type of result, I'll keep buying gas from the same place! Or, certainly avoid where I normally buy from!

Made a small step toward getting it ready for paint, but at least it's a start.......A limb fell on my quarter panel over a year ago, denting it pretty deeply. I ground off the paint and beat it out somewhat, but left it there. As you might imagine, it started to rust. This past weekend, I actually got a good jump on fixing that spot.

I can't believe I never took a picture of the damage, so here it is blown up from a much larger pic. Needless to say, quality is REALLY crappy!

Following is the repair I started. My method for making the body line didn't work well at all, which was simply using a sanding block, so I have to re-do it....but the rest is coming out good.........

#178 ·
OK, so here is just a little (odd) tidbit I'm posting.......

Where my wife works has feral cats hanging around. She's always been into the underdog, and one of the cats, in particular, is a major underdog. It is a runt, has a totally deformed tail, and a jacked up leg that is non-functioning (from birth). One day she and the girls at works saw that the cat had an injury to it's eye.

They obtained an animal trap from the local Sheriff's office (they control the animal shelter here), and captured the cat. One of the other girls nursed the kitty back to health, although, obviously, it will be blind in that one eye.

Naturally, my wife wanted to adopt the cat, and we have done that. Comes down to naming the cat now. I want to name it something Corolla-ish, but I can't come up with anything cool. She's calling it Punkin. Plbbph!! I thought "Rolla," but it doesn't really 'roll' off the tongue very well. Any idea's?

Here he is with Lily....they get along great!

#180 ·
WOW that's some serious eye damage. It's always so wonderful to hear stories of people adopting animals that don't have a chance, good on you and your wife. Major props. Ironically name the cat Turbo, because bad leg. Or Yoyo?
Yeah, when she first brought this up to me, and showed me the pic, I thought the cat would certainly have to be put down.

#183 ·
Very good thing you did. How about Levin? Toyota named their sports-oriented Corolla that in Japan, it means lightning.
And Trueno means thunder, although neither is Japanese (nor even the same language as each other)

#184 ·
Punkin actually seems to fit it.

When I first saw the picture, I thought it was just a cat head that someone had abused from an animal abuse sight - not a good thing before breakfast.

Good for you both for adopting him. (And good that Lily isn't chasing and harassing him ...)

#187 ·
Small thread-jack but I had my dog Scoob for 19 years and he was half terrier half beagle. He was the best dog I could have ever asked for in my life. He died about a year ago but I would pay any amount to have him back, a true friend indeed. I am a shut-in so I assume not everyone has the same experience with their animals but I've generally had really great luck with mine. I would have kept him until the end of time if the option was there. He was almost human I had him so long, I certainly regarded him above most people lol. If you ever want a really great dog get a beagle, because fixing a terrier does very little to their tenacity and overall annoying demeanor.

Dogs and animals in general seem to be okay with me considering I once scared a park ranger so bad he thought I was going to be smushed. The ranger said its VERY rare that a wild moose will let you get anywhere near it let alone stroke its head like I did. I just thought it was nice lol. ~End of threadjack ~

#188 ·
That's how I feel about my dog. Best dog I could have asked for. Terrier personality, so extremely stubborn and independent. Kind of an asshole. But that gives him so much charm and humanity. He's truly shocked me with his intelligence, like I didn't think dogs could be that cunning and smart. He's extremely well behaved, at home he's a toy. You can pick him up, toss him on the bed, flip him over, he'll take it without even a little growl. To others he's aggressive and mean, but he's extremely loyal to me. He has deep brown eyes, very human. Extremely emotive, everything about him tells a story. Tons of energy, at 11 years old we walk him four times a day, including a mile up and down a mountain once a day, and play every day. Even then, he started getting atrophy in his shoulder... from not enough exercise. Now he goes to daycare every two weeks and his shoulder is fine. Crazy dog. Very independent, but very loving too. When he's lazy he asks me to carry him up the stairs, I always oblige.

When I say he's a jerk, I mean it in the best way possible. I love terriers, I love their huge personalities. They're annoying, and every bad thing they do, I just want to pick them up and squeeze them because somehow the annoying stuff is just so cute in the way they do it specifically to spite you because two treats obviously is less than he deserves. And I love his mustache.

Marshall sorry for going off topic!

#195 ·
So I have decided to join you all, this is my first ever forum. I have bookmarked this forum and have always read it.
Then I saw that Marshall2u replied earlier this week and decided, I need to join. This is great.

I found a part I needed at the marketplace, and saw a recent post of "What have you done to your Corolla today?" and decided, it was time!

Love the thread.
Personally drive a 96 Corolla Dx in Red. Bought it with "123k" later VIN checked and its been rolled back .. possibly well over 230k assuming nothing has been rebuilt. I have no trouble, runs strong, and boy does it hit that 93 mark like its fresh from the factory.
nothing big, New tires 165/70/r14 (I want rims for them) LED tachometer, 10k HIDs, Blacked out rear end, new Monroe Struts and shocks, aftermarket head unit, and small detail, custom rear deck that is it!

I want to finish fixing my window motors (Have already done 2 out of 3 that needed fixing) re-do and custom my headliner
Add fog lights, re-tint the windows, audio insulation and new speakers .. which I might need guidance on .. My two pioneers in the rear blew out the two in the front door, stock, one is out, so I have one working speaker ...

Anyway, hope all is good! Glad I fund a community of us!

#199 ·
So, today, I took a 320 mile round trip to pick up an auction purchase. I had to fill up along the way and was very pleased to get my best MPG'S yet @ 35.4! That beats my previous best by about 1MPG, and, this time, the first 110 miles were driven around town.

I was picking up 17 HP workstations and 2 PC's. Just for the record, that's about the limit one can fit inside a 7th gen. Corolla (will all doors and trunk lid closed!). It was also quite a bit of weight!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.