Toyota Nation Forum banner

no reverese

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Bitter 
#1 ·
hey guys im the first owner of a 19 dx will normal mantiance but now after 20 years it stopped going to reverse it will rev or go foward same will netral the car will move forward

#10 ·
In post #2 of this thread I'm quoting what the factory manual says about no reverse for the A245E transmission: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...7/865945-no-reverse-but-only-morning-wth.html

Like Bitter said, if your fluid level checks out there's not much you could do without dropping the pan.

You will see from that thread I qouted that that person kept having issues even with new transmissions. He eventually resolved it, but it appears unknown why the ignition switch replacement he did fixed his issue.

You could do a pan drop, filter change, magnet cleaning, and refill with some high quality synthetic ATF. May or may not work, but it's about the only simple thing you can try, otherwise it quickly gets pretty involved.

#11 ·
hey guys im the first owner of a 19 dx will normal mantiance but now after 20 years it stopped going to reverse it will rev or go foward same will netral the car will move forward
Wait, what? Is the shifter loose? It might be the linkage. I've seen this on an old Mitsubishi. The car would go backwards in D and stay in neutral in R.

#13 ·
There's a cable running from the shifter inside the car through the front bulkhead into the engine compartment to the top of the trans where the Park-Neutral position switch is, you may need to remove the air intake or battery to gain access. What you need to do is have someone else shift the car back and forth (engine off, key on) and watch to see if the arm clicks through into each position from Park to Neutral to Reverse to Drive to 2 and to L. You have to figure out if the play is at the transmission end, at the shifter end, or in the cable itself. With the cable off the PRNDL switch you should be able to snap the arm from park to the other positions with some difficulty but not super easy either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.