Toyota Nation Forum banner

Pulled over...

2K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Marshall2u 
#1 ·
How often do y'all get pulled over? And for what offense if any?

Here's my current list of incidents in just the Corolla.

I have been pulled over 3 times in ~3 months. Twice in the last couple of weeks.

#1 ~10PM In AZ there are some highway exits that have a "No turn on Red" sign. I turned on red like a dummy knowing full well about the signage. Cop was cool though. Wrote me up for expired insurance card. I just had to go to the court and show them I had insurance at the time of incident. No ticket.

#2 ~10PM "turned wide". I turned right and instead of going to the right lane I went to the center lane. It's a sharp turn. Very tough to stay on the right side. No ticket.

#3 ~10AM I was in the far left lane. A guy comes out of a Fry's and goes straight and turns like he's going to the same lane as me. He's going a lot slower than me so I swerve to avoid him... Only problem is he just turns wide and goes to the middle lane. I am already mid-swerve and in the middle lane and I end up having to continue to the right lane. I didn't use a turn signal as I didn't really plan on changing lanes at that moment. I didn't hit the guy. I also noticed a cop during all this. As soon as I make a turn he hits the lights... The usual stuff ensues(license/registration/insurance) and I do NOT get a ticket.

I'm starting to think it's my car. The bad paint and the dents. Lol

See less See more
#4 ·
Closer to the end of the month and the beginning of the month are when I've seen the most cops on patrol. Anyone who's ever been in the military or lived near a military base will tell you they issue tickets like candy. Speaking of this, it carried on over deployments with MP's (Military Police). 2008-2009 I was at Camp Taji Iraq, and I kid you not the MP's were pulling soldiers over and issuing "tickets" to soldiers riding bikes without reflective belts, helmets, or riding faster than the flow of traffic. Any contractor or soldier will have seen similar shenanigans at the other major bases too.

As for me? A lot, and I've never gotten a ticket I didn't deserve, and I completely respect the Police for the jobs they do. I will say driving a Corolla has caused me to be pulled over less though, as well as "growing up".

#5 ·
You have been "profiled." Change your look. Lose the attention.

I used to get pulled over in my old Chevy van a lot by Ohio highway patrol. The usual first words out of their mouths was "I see you're not using your seat belt."
How do you know that officer?
"I didnt see any shoulder belt across your chest."
Shoulder belt? What shoulder belt? (Officer looks inside...!)
And then I was on my way.

Whatever you do, DO NOT consent to a search of your vehicle. It is well within your rights to do so. Remind any officer of that. Dumb druggies always say yes and get arrested. They will find SOMETHING stupid and use it as an excuse to steal your personal belongings or put you in handcuffs.

My car DID attract attention from a local cop. He really was an SOB. Said I had a taillight out and no front license plate. This was after we played cat and mouse on main street and side streets. I pulled into the police station under the lights so the event would be recorded on video.

He retracted his statements and I was on my way. He did get REALLY stupid when I got out of the car to confirm his "ignorance."

-SP

-SP

#9 ·
#1 I was just happy to be going home and forgot about the signs for some reason. They are a bit hard to see at night but are visible. I should have had a ticket.

#2 It's a VERY sharp right hand turn. If you're from the Phoenix area go to Baseline/Country Club and tell me that turn is easy. I had the wheel near all the way over to make the center lane. It was also green to go straight.

This is the first "bunch" I've had ever. The ONLY ticket I've ever received was for speeding. May 7th 2003. I think I'm a DAMNED good driver if I only have one ticket in nearly 12 years of driving with no accidents.

#7 ·
Twice for speeding (both legitimate so copped the fine) and numerous times for RBTs - mostly booze-bus setups but a couple of random in-traffic ones (never once blown over)

Despite the noise the Corolla makes and the amount of stuff on it that is technically illegal/defectable, I've never gotten a canary or even had a cop look the car over. It all comes down to driving style and attitude.

#8 ·
I got pulled over and a warning for the blue LEDs on the aftermarket mirrors like 10 years ago (you know the type lol), but otherwise, never. No matter how crazy it looked. I guess I never got noticed?

But I get pulled over often in the IS. If a police car happens to end up behind me randomly, 90% chance I'll get pulled over lol.

I know that I get pulled over more if I have the yellow fog lights on. They just attract too much attention, so I switched to white lights, and no more problems. The trick is to blend in.

#2 ~10PM "turned wide". I turned right and instead of going to the right lane I went to the center lane.l
I've never heard of that being a law before.

#11 ·
That sharp right turn reminds me of something random. When I had the Corolla (and the IS is similar), whenever I had to make a U-turn, I always made it as sharply as possible so that I could end up in the left-most lane around the median. I wanted to make everyone watching jealous of my tight turning radius lol

#15 ·
While a majority of cars are stock and boring, people around here drive terribly. So when I drive, even when it's aggressive and includes hard launches, cops tend to ignore it and go for the people swaying between lanes and the people cutting everyone off and speeding like crazy. Also, plenty of people have shitty reflector HIDs and yellow fog lights, while I run halogen bulbs, which helps.

#19 · (Edited)
Oh, yeah. That way is a sharp turn also. I usually only take the other sharp right turn there.

That area is ridiculous for citations! Go 1 mph over the speed-limit and you automatically get a ticket! We go out there regularly to visit the in-laws. Luckily, I was driving and the car was registered in my wife's name. So when the ticket showed up in the mail, she just checked the box that says, "I don't know who this person is driving my car" and returned it. ;)
Yes, there's a lot of the red light cameras around here, and some also give speeding tickets. (I think you need to be going more that 1 mph over, though) Most of the main roads are 45mph, but certain areas drop down to 40 or 35, so it's easy to not realize if you don't know the area.

If you don't respond to the mailed ticket, they would need to come to your house to serve you the ticket. If you're out of state, I'm not sure how it works.

Also, I see at least one driver every night without their lights on around here. The roads have street lights, but c'mon, do these people never look at their speedometer/gauges EVER so that they don't realize their lights are off?

#21 ·
I used to get pulled over in my old '90 Corolla, because I had no muffler or converter. My exhaust consisted of what was left of the factory exhaust, along with several sections of McParts store pipe, along with some flex pipe. My only requirement of the exhaust on that car was that it keep the fumes out of the car. It was loud as hell. Like I've said before, if I pushed in the clutch revved it under a bridge, it sounded like Godzilla, Ultraman, and the Jolly Green Giant all farting in unison!:D I actually liked its sound better than my Mustang with its Magnaflow exhaust!

The cops would pull me over, and then see that I was delivering pizza, and then let me go right away. I took this to mean that it was OK if I rolled around in a loud car.
Finally, one night, a Deputy Sheriff cam in the store, and asked for me. When I went out front, he asked me when I "was going to get a muffler for that - car." (I could tell that he wanted to call it a piece of shit).
So I begrudgingly went to U-Pull-&-Pray, and got a muffler. And when the input-pipe rusted off of the muffler, I removed the muffler, turned it around, and clamped the tailpipe to the exhaust, and drove it with the open pipeless end of the muffler sticking out under the bumper! I just had to be careful backing into parking spaces, because the muffler hung pretty low, and would hit the parking stop/curb.
When I drove the car its final time, to the junkyard, I took off the muffler, for old time's sake.

#23 · (Edited)
I also have to add 2 incidents to the list though they didn't happen in the Corolla.

#1 Speeding ticket May 7th 2003 2000 Chevy Malibu LS 3.1L V6 170HP

75mph in a 45 zone. Evil Kinevil caught me at 65mph. Put 55 on the ticket. Was lunch time for at the high school on the way back from Taco Bell with a Gordita Crunch combo(Gordita crunch and 2 tacos) in the passenger seat and lg Mt Dew in the cup holder. The cop also got a guy in one of my classes for doing the same thing. Lol The ticket was $96. First and ONLY ticket.

I told my sister to tell my dad for me. Lol He started getting mad at my sister as she usually is in trouble for something. She had to remind him I was the one in trouble this time. Lol I didn't really get in trouble though. I was 18 at the time and had my license a couple of months.

#2 Parking too close to a stop sign Feb 2014 2002 Mazda 626 2L I4 girlfriend's car

Sign said to be 30ft away from the sign. I was waiting for my girlfriend to come out of the salon. Needless to say that she took too damned long. Lol Cop also called in backup. Cop actually noticed the sticker on the plate was for a different plate. The place I registered the car was at fault on that one. The registration was good though and didn't need to fix that. The sticker had BFC instead of BFE. Cop let me go as long as I got that sticker fixed.

#24 ·
I almost never get pulled over. Last time was in my veggie oil burning Mercedes about 7-8 years ago (and probably only twice in the past 15 years). I was slightly over the limit in a 25 MPH speed trap area (I've always kept to the limit since, pissing people off behind me!). My cop buddy who works at the courthouse got the ticket dismissed. Although selfishly happy for myself, it saddens me that it's often not what's legal or illegal, right or wrong, but who you know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.