Toyota Nation Forum banner

corolla starting problem

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  iip3 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a 99 corolla (automatic)been having issues starting it for past few months. I was told it was the ignition switch so I put a new one in but it never fixed the problem. Even tried shifting into neutral doesnt work. When i turn the key forward to accessories everything works fine lights etc... but when I turn the key forward nothing happens right away no sound of anything but after a few times of trying to start it I sometimes hear a single click coming either from the dash area .it sometimes just involves leaving the key forward for a minute then starts up .it always starts not always right away but sometimes after 2 to 3 minutes of trying. Not sure what it could be thanks In advance.

#2 ·
I would look at the starter relay in the fuse box of the engine bay if you don't get a click when you turn the key over then the starter relay maybe bad. If you hear a click in the relay but no crank then it is electrical wiring or starter. I would check that the ground wire on the battery is tight and ground points on the car is good. Then look at the power cable to the starter and look for corrosion. Lastly, I would get the starter and battery tested for free at any major auto part store.

#3 ·
This happened on my dads Camry. Ended up being a bad starter. You can check the voltage of the battery using a multimeter. If it drops when turning the key, it's attempting to power the starter. If not, it's not even supplying voltage through the relay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.