Toyota Nation Forum banner

Clutch Replacement

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Acro_Raptor 
#1 ·
Well.. Its finally time to do a clutch on my Corolla. I have a 98 with 257,800 miles on the original clutch and it finally started to slip. Was wondering that.. Since its a 1zzfe.. Will a say.. Stage 1 for a celica gts/matrix xrs work? If so that opens up a huge number of possibilities. I have never done a clutch before and am doing it myself. According to O'Reillys they are compatible I just wanna be absolutely sure before pulling the trigger on it. I need one bad so buying this weekend. Many thanks!

I would do a search but for some reason the search bar doesn't work on my tablet or phone. And my PC is down.

#4 ·
At this point another OEM clutch would last longer than the rest of the car would.
I figure if you got that much out of an OEM then by the time you need a new one then the car will have over half a million miles on it.

#5 ·
Unfortunately it may be a moot point now. Since April I have had a dull roar like a wheel bearing going on. Hasn't been loud at all and since I couldn't afford it at the time I have driven on it. Well.. Thursday it got super loud. Took the car apart yesterday afternoon and its not a wheel bearing.. The transmission itself is what let go. So.. I gotta source a transmission before it fully dies. Till then.. Its my only car and I gotta work so I am gonna drive

it.https://youtu.be/5f9CK4ZAmJQ

#7 ·
I wish it was lol But.. It does it in neutral. On and off throttle. Braking. And with the car jacked up.. only on the drivers side. Passenger side makes no noise at all. When under the car its coming from right where the axle goes into the Diff. If i can milk it till July i have another 98 Corolla 5-speed being brought to me that i was gonna buy and flip cause incredible deal (less than a used transmission good deal) But I plan to get and just drive that. I live in an apartment so I don't have a garage or space to swap the transmission and have never done it. And shops cost way more than I can afford.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.