Toyota Nation Forum banner

Paint or not to paint, what would you do?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  THEWISEONE 
#1 ·
98k miles. So my rollie is still got plenty of life in it. Runs like a charm and I keep it well maintained myself. One thing I could not control was the paint over the years and now today I just noticed on the C pillar the paint is bubbling and rust is underneath. I live near the ocean and this car is parked 50/50 in garage and out. Front and rear bumpers have its clear coat peeling away. Trunk is fading and peeling. Attached a photo of the top of the car which is pretty much the condition of the bumpers and trunk as well as the paint bubbling on the pillar.

Painting the car pretty much cost as much as the car is worth but im afraid if I leave the rusted area bare, it will continue to eat through the car causing safety issues in the long run. Im sure the other parts where the clear coat is peeling will get there someday too.

So what would you do?

See less See more
#3 ·
no major rust anywhere else on the car or underneath. I changed the shocks a couple months ago and its clean. This car has never been to a snowy area and the ocean may be salty but not enough to majorly rust cars out here.

I actually see a TON of these 8th gen corollas out here with the same paint status. Im almost convinced it was a factory issue.

#4 ·
Honestly paint is a personal thing ask yourself the following.

1) is the rust and paint that ugly that you hate driving the car?
2) how long do you want to drive it for realistically (forever is not going to happen)
3) could you live with a crappy paint job from maaco or some other discount paint shoo?

If your only concern is the rust then go buy some sandpaper, rust inhibitor and a spray can of paint to your colour code and just fix it yourself. It will not look perfect but as you said the car is not worth much and where others see imperfection you will only see hard work and love for your car. Plus i bet if you take your time and blend in the paint i bet it could look pretty good.

All in all i vote live with it. Or fix as cheap as possible. Its really not worth paying big bucks to fix a 19 year old car to look better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.