Solution to oil dissappearing in 1ZZFE engine - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
8th Generation (1998-2002) Specific discussion of the 8th generation

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-25-2008, 04:42 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Solution to oil dissappearing in 1ZZFE engine

I have found a lot of people having problems with there 99 corollas having issues with the engine drinking oil at a very rapid pace and no signs of leaks and no smoke. Well my wife bought her 99 corolla with the 1ZZFE engine last July and she thought it was a great deal for 5,000 total. Well 3 weeks after getting it the oil light come on and all the oil was gone!!! Well I told her with out income tax refund I would fix it and I thought it was stem seals and I replaced all of them and the old seals were badly worn and I put on a new timing kit plus water pump, etc and the problem was just as bad. I was stumped and figure it has to be rings. I read online about everyone having issues with these engines and I didnt want to buy a rebuilt block and have the same issue.

Well I called a machine shop here that has been around for ages. As soon as I told him the 99 corolla engine he said "ahhhhhh one of those engines". He said that the problem is that when Toyota built the engines they put smaller pistons in the engine than what should of been in there and just put in oversized rings to compensate. They did this to make the initial startup and break in easier. Well after 30,000 or so miles the rings would wear down and then the oil consumption started and only gets worse. He said my rings were worn and sticking. He said for a temporary fix to reduce the oil consumption I could pull all the plugs out and dump a little transmission fluid into each cylinder and replace the plugs. He said to start the car and it would smoke like hell for a little bit but that transmission fluid would possibly free up the rings and reduce some carbon. But he said that your engine needs to be rebuilt.

I just thought some people may be interested in hearing this since so many people are baffled at this problem.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mike93082 For This Useful Post:
camiable (03-18-2011), debj47 (08-06-2013), icikle (11-17-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-25-2008, 05:24 PM
uʍop-ǝpısdn

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
That is good to know. It's strange though how my car is a 98 and hasn't had any of these problems. I've already got 125k miles on the motor and still no signs of oil burning. Perhaps the problem was only with 99+ years. I'm guessing since I have the 1st generation 1ZZFE motor that they didn't skimp and put in normal/oversized pistons. After that, they may have used undersized pistons and oversized rings to cut costs.

Last edited by rollatuner110; 02-25-2008 at 05:26 PM.
#3 Old 02-25-2008, 11:18 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh great!!!!!! i just bought my 99 prizm less then a month ago and now this post has scared the crap out of me!!!! i got nearly 3 years of payments to go................................................ .......................................

iv always heard that toyotas were awesome cars with awesome engines and of all there cars..i had to get the one they went cheap on >< X(

PERFECT!!!
#4 Old 02-26-2008, 12:00 AM
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
We too have the oil burning problem in our '98 CE, although it burns at a rate close to 1 quart per oil change (3 months) so of course the low oil light never comes on. Still the problem exists yet that's really the only nagging problem with the car. We'll probably keep this for another year and then get rid of it and move on to another car.

1998 Toyota Corolla CE (beige)
2003 Infiniti G35 (silver) - too many mods to list...
2007 Toyota Matrix XR (red) - purchased 1/19/10 and lovin' it!
#5 Old 02-26-2008, 01:12 AM
uʍop-ǝpısdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxProGT View Post
Oh great!!!!!! i just bought my 99 prizm less then a month ago and now this post has scared the crap out of me!!!! i got nearly 3 years of payments to go................................................ .......................................

iv always heard that toyotas were awesome cars with awesome engines and of all there cars..i had to get the one they went cheap on >< X(

PERFECT!!!
Not necessarily. I have over 125k on mine and I don't have any hint of burning. If you maintain it and give it a little TLC, it'll treat you right. I've run it on synthetic oil blends and now full synthetic oil ever since I owned it. Royal Purple really polishes and smooths out the internals and keeps everything lubricated and protected with their Synerlec additive. btw, I'm not running it stock either. I romp on the accelerator quite a bit and drive it hard. Still nothing wrong. I average 30-32 mpg too.

Last edited by rollatuner110; 02-26-2008 at 01:15 AM.
#6 Old 02-26-2008, 12:26 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollatuner110 View Post
Not necessarily. I have over 125k on mine and I don't have any hint of burning. If you maintain it and give it a little TLC, it'll treat you right. I've run it on synthetic oil blends and now full synthetic oil ever since I owned it. Royal Purple really polishes and smooths out the internals and keeps everything lubricated and protected with their Synerlec additive. btw, I'm not running it stock either. I romp on the accelerator quite a bit and drive it hard. Still nothing wrong. I average 30-32 mpg too.

well id feel alot better about it if i had bought the car new but it was used and has 87k on it but it dose look like it was taken care of really well.. the car has been running great so far and i use it as a delivery driver so i am testing the hell out of it.... so far it has not lost to much oil if any but i still over worry about things sometimes.. thanks for the uplifting reply
#7 Old 02-26-2008, 03:21 PM
New TN User

My 99 Corolla VE apparently has this same engine. I have maintained it pretty well throughout the 90K miles and 8.5 years I've had it. It is now drinking oil at the rate of about 1 qt every 800 miles, so I have to put 3 quarts in to not be dry-stick at a 3000 mile oil change interval. My gas milage has just recently dropped off from 27-30 mpg to 24-26 mpg.

An engine rebuild seems an expensive proposition for a 9 year old car that is probably worth $2000 or less.
#8 Old 02-27-2008, 12:22 AM
Official TN Member

couldnt this kind of thing be called a defect and coulda/shoulda been recalled for it?
#9 Old 02-27-2008, 02:59 AM
uʍop-ǝpısdn

Problems like this are caused mainly from owner neglect and poor or little maintenance. If you put a little TLC into the car, it will serve you well. Preventative measures are always better than treating problems when they occur.

#10 Old 02-27-2008, 02:04 PM
Official TN Member

I'm sitting on the fence with this. If you type Toyota oil consumption into Google you'll get a ton of extremists wanting to ban Toyota from the face of the earth. On the other hand, my early '70's VW beetle used to use a quart of oil every 850 miles like clockwork as stated in the owner's manual. My 98 Corolla uses about 1/2 litre between oil changes City driving and about a litre every 1000 km highway driving. Sooooo . . . I think I'm somewhere in the middle of the consumption scale. It's not a lot compared to what others describe but it's certainly not like my wife's big ol' buick with 270k that doesn't use any oil - no matter what kind of driving you do. Just my 2 cents . . .
#11 Old 02-28-2008, 11:14 AM
good lookin rolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesep View Post
I'm sitting on the fence with this. If you type Toyota oil consumption into Google you'll get a ton of extremists wanting to ban Toyota from the face of the earth. On the other hand, my early '70's VW beetle used to use a quart of oil every 850 miles like clockwork as stated in the owner's manual. My 98 Corolla uses about 1/2 litre between oil changes City driving and about a litre every 1000 km highway driving. Sooooo . . . I think I'm somewhere in the middle of the consumption scale. It's not a lot compared to what others describe but it's certainly not like my wife's big ol' buick with 270k that doesn't use any oil - no matter what kind of driving you do. Just my 2 cents . . .
1 quart every 800 miles and i average 27 mpg 90% of that driving city so i don't mind the oil so much

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v162/139/47/505624879/n505624879_487130_4546.jpg
1990 Honda CRX JDM B16A-modded - SOLD
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1 - SOLD
1998 Corolla CE 5spd - awaiting a few more ext. mods and rebuilding of motor.. then BOOST!!
#12 Old 03-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Official TN Member

No oil useage

My '99 LE 5 Speed manual at 99k miles does not consume oil (at least not that can be seen). Always Castrol GTX 5w30, 3,000 miles between changes.
#13 Old 03-12-2008, 10:42 AM
Official TN Member

my 2000 Prizm drinks about 1 quart every 1500 miles, so I put a quart halfway between oil changes and next time its low its time for an oil change anyways. And I have done every preventative maintenance. this car has been babied. I'd love to have the engine rebuilt, cuase it still averages 31 mpg, but I can't afford that project.
#14 Old 03-12-2008, 11:39 AM
Rachael

I've been doing a lot of searching on this forum today, because yesterday, my bf's noisy little Corolla had the oil light come on. Pull out the dipstick, and the Mobil 1 I put in there not too long along was black as soot, and very low.

The three solutions I've found to be said the most often in every thread are:

1) Just keep topping off the oil, maybe run through an engine "cleaner"
2) Change the valve gaskets (I think that's what I remember?) and piston rings
3) Rebuild the motor

Could we all possibly get some more input on any of these from someone who's delt with this problem long-term? Sounds like this is a common issue...

EDIT: Lemme just rephrase that, because there's a lot of good info in this thread. I mostly want to know if there's anyone who has simply topped off the oil as needed for quite some time and not experienced the symptoms worsening?

2000 Corolla CE, 90K. mods- clear corners, missing hubcaps, leaky wheel and oil-burning feature

1996 Bonneville SSEi. a big, supercharged couch with wheels

Last edited by zuper8; 03-12-2008 at 11:42 AM.
#15 Old 03-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Resident asshole

Quote:
He said that the problem is that when Toyota built the engines they put smaller pistons in the engine than what should of been in there and just put in oversized rings to compensate.
Actually no, he's wrong. Toyota used a ring provider that gave them less than good piston rings and alot of them were broken quite early. Hence it burns oil. As for pouring ATF into the cylinders, thats another chapter in redneck repairs.

Quote:
couldnt this kind of thing be called a defect and coulda/shoulda been recalled for it?
it is a defect and toyota keeps its mouth hush and fixes it to the customers bill.

All you really have to do is change the rings into better ones and the problem should go away, as for the "piston rings sticking" clause... I dont buy that, piston rings are a spring and if they would stick, the spring force would be gone... anyways, thats my opinion, you cant revive worn out parts with magic.

Last edited by Flashmn; 03-12-2008 at 12:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 8th Generation (1998-2002)