Power steering hose replacement - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 8th Generation (1998-2002)

8th Generation (1998-2002) Specific discussion of the 8th generation

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2008, 07:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View mike_tx's Photo Gallery
Power steering hose replacement

Hi everyone,
I replaced the power steering high pressure hose on my 98 Corolla this past Saturday. Pretty straight forward replacement....no surprises. Here's the procedure I followed:
1) Position two drain pans under the car.....one under the power steering pump, one under the driver's side where the high pressure hose connects to the rack.
2) Unplug the connector on the power steering pump banjo bolt (power steering pressure sensor....just a guess? Don't have my service manual yet).
3) Remove the banjo bolt (requires a 24mm deep well socket and extension.....too hard to get a wrench in that area)
4) Remove the other side of the hose, where it connects to the rack (17mm wrench works ok, but you have limited movement)
5) Remove the hose bracket (holds the high and low pressure hoses secure). 10mm socket works fine

6) Now you have removed the hose. Reverse the procedure to install the new hose. The pump side of the hose has two copper washers (one on both sides of the hose mount) The rack side of the hose has a small rubber o-ring. Don't forget the washers or o-ring!

7) Here is where I diverted from the procedure printed on the hose package. Having replaced power steering pumps and hoses on other cars, I just did what I always do. I jacked the car up so that the front wheels are off the ground. I filled the power steering fluid to "max full", and then started the car. I turned the wheels side to side numerous times, checked the fluid, added some more, then turned the wheels some more. This will bleed the air out of the system. I used standard Dextron III fluid from Walmart, plus some Lucas Power Steering leak stop fluid (already had some).

This is a somewhat messy repair. Even though I had drain pans, some of the fluid missed the pans (oops). Also, some of the fluid collected in various areas, so I cleaned/washed the work areas gently with a hose after I was finished to confirm I didn't have any leaks.

I used a replacement hose from Autozone (Duralast # 92019). Very very similar in quality to the original Toyota hose. Cost: $49 (wayyyy cheaper than Toyota).

Everything works great. It even seems like my power steering is quieter than before, but that's probably just my imagination.

'98 Corolla LE
'98 Jeep Wrangler
'04 Mazda MPV
'04 Ford Thunderbird

Last edited by mike_tx; 09-08-2008 at 02:39 PM.
mike_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mike_tx For This Useful Post:
98whitelightnin (08-29-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 8th Generation (1998-2002)