Corolla automatic transmission fluid filter - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 8th Generation (1998-2002)

8th Generation (1998-2002) Specific discussion of the 8th generation

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 01:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View auto-xr's Photo Gallery
Question Corolla automatic transmission fluid filter

Hi, I'm new to the forum and have found it quite helpful. My wife has a 2001 Corolla LE and I am planning to change the transmission fluid. I found a part online and was wondering if anyone had any comments on it. It is a Fram automatic transmission filter cartridge. Here is the description.

"FRAM INTERNAL TRANSMISSION CARTRIDGE -- 4 Speed, Meets And Exceeds All Car Manufacturers' Specifications, Prevents Transmission Failures, Effectively Catches Foreign Particles, Varnish, And Sludge, Allows Transmission Fluid To Lubricate And Cool The Moving Parts Without Interference, Pan Has 18 Holes, Replaces OE Part Numbers 94853372 And 35330-12030, With Fram's Limited Warranty"

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by auto-xr; 03-06-2009 at 01:14 AM.
auto-xr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2009, 12:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
New TN User

View phess11's Photo Gallery
The filter is supposed to last the life of the car. You don't need to change it.
phess11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
uʍop-ǝpısdn

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
View rollatuner110's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phess11 View Post
The filter is supposed to last the life of the car. You don't need to change it.
That's incorrect. You need to change the transmission filter just like changing the oil filter. You just don't do it as often. I usually change the transmission fluid and filter once every year or so.

rollatuner110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
uʍop-ǝpısdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-xr View Post
Hi, I'm new to the forum and have found it quite helpful. My wife has a 2001 Corolla LE and I am planning to change the transmission fluid. I found a part online and was wondering if anyone had any comments on it. It is a Fram automatic transmission filter cartridge. Here is the description.

"FRAM INTERNAL TRANSMISSION CARTRIDGE -- 4 Speed, Meets And Exceeds All Car Manufacturers' Specifications, Prevents Transmission Failures, Effectively Catches Foreign Particles, Varnish, And Sludge, Allows Transmission Fluid To Lubricate And Cool The Moving Parts Without Interference, Pan Has 18 Holes, Replaces OE Part Numbers 94853372 And 35330-12030, With Fram's Limited Warranty"

Thanks for your help.
Fram filters are pretty much garbage. The filtration on those are horrible. Do you have a NAPA store in town? I would purchase one of their filters over Fram.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

Read your manual. They never suggest that you change your transmission filter.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
uʍop-ǝpısdn

I wouldn't follow your factory manual word for word. Trust me. They leave a lot of necessary things out. If you never should change your filter, why do they sell them? Would you change the oil in your car without changing the filter, ever? There's more moving parts in a transmission than there are in the motor.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

The corolla trans filter is just a wire screen. nothing fancy.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollatuner110 View Post
I wouldn't follow your factory manual word for word. Trust me. They leave a lot of necessary things out. If you never should change your filter, why do they sell them? Would you change the oil in your car without changing the filter, ever? There's more moving parts in a transmission than there are in the motor.
You are wrong. Autozone service intervals also agree with my statement. Just because you change the oil doesn't mean you change the filter. Actually that is true for engine oil as well. If you use synthetics and you don't use a filter designed for long intervals you should change the filter without changing the oil.

And you logic that if they sell trans filters then you should change it is rediculous. They sell a bunch of stuff i would never use. Oil additive, the tornado, etc.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
uʍop-ǝpısdn

If you change the oil filter, you would naturally have to change the oil. How can you keep the oil inside? I don't see the logic there. Either way, are you getting your facts from Autozone? Ask a ASE certified auto mechanic what they think. There is no way they would recommend never changing the transmission filter for the lifetime of the vehicle. I've been in the automotive scene for over 10 years and have worked in the field. 30k(conventional) to 100k(Dextron III) miles are the usual changing intervals. I don't know where you get your facts, but many professionals would agree with me.

Here's a few resources online.

"Most owner's manuals say it isn't necessary. Yeah, right. That's why transmission shops are making a fortune replacing burned out automatic transmissions. "
http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repa...ques123_0.html
http://autorepair.about.com/od/other...ans_filter.htm
http://www.familycar.com/transmission.htm

Last edited by rollatuner110; 04-18-2009 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
uʍop-ǝpısdn

Quote:
The corolla trans filter is just a wire screen. nothing fancy.
Yet it's effective enough to trap big metal shavings and particles and keep them from coating the gears and transmission internals that lead to premature wear and tear. If you've ever changed the ATF and filter yourself, you can see the grime and chunks lining the bottom of the tranny oil pan and the amount of residue trapped on the filter. Sure the filter is just a simple mesh, but it still helps considerably. When changing the ATF and filter, it is necessary to wipe/rinse(with a solvent or cleaner) the pan down clean as well so as to not let the residue on the bottom recirculate into the new ATF being added. If you haven't changed your filter in the lifetime of the car, I suggest you do it. Hopefully these pics can convince you.

Dirty:

Clean:

Last edited by rollatuner110; 04-18-2009 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
New TN User

Quote:
Yet it's effective enough to trap big metal shavings and particles and keep them from coating the gears and transmission internals that lead to premature wear and tear. If you've ever changed the ATF and filter yourself, you can see the grime and chunks lining the bottom of the tranny oil pan and the amount of residue trapped on the filter. Sure the filter is just a simple mesh, but it still helps considerably. When changing the ATF and filter, it is necessary to wipe/rinse(with a solvent or cleaner) the pan down clean as well so as to not let the residue on the bottom recirculate into the new ATF being added. If you haven't changed your filter in the lifetime of the car, I suggest you do it. Hopefully these pics can convince you.

Surprising the Filter wouldn't have filtered out that fine shavings. Oh, that's right, the filter is just a metal screen.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
uʍop-ǝpısdn

Quote:
Surprising the Filter wouldn't have filtered out that fine shavings. Oh, that's right, the filter is just a metal screen.
Quote:
Yet it's effective enough to trap big metal shavings and particles and keep them from coating the gears and transmission internals that lead to premature wear and tear.
Apparently, you don't read. Does the motor oil filter catch all particles? Answer that rhetorical question yourself and apply it to this situation. And another question. If you deem this tranny filter to be so useless, why would be factory install one to begin with, hmm? Once again, please do tell where you get your credible information from. I hope it's not from Autozone. The last time I checked, it wasn't a very credible place for information. Ask an ASE certified tech in your area what his opinion is. Or maybe I should bring a few here.

Last edited by rollatuner110; 04-18-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View moviestar's Photo Gallery
Quote:
noob.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
View Mayur's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Well if you are looking at it that way, then the same could be said about oil filters and air filters. Air filters are just paper, why bother using one? Oil filters are just metal screens with paper as well, but since it's just a metal screen, there is no point in using one. Thanks for the insight.

*runs off to take off oil, air, and transmission filter*
Mayur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
uʍop-ǝpısdn

Roflmfao

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 8th Generation (1998-2002)