2002 chevy prizm oil consumption - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
8th Generation (1998-2002) Specific discussion of the 8th generation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-03-2009, 05:41 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2002 chevy prizm oil consumption

Hi, I'm new and have searched the threads. Bought this car recently with 85K miles on it. I'm burning oil at a rate of about 1 qt per 500 miles. Question is whether this car will hold up to another year of driving before I can afford to trade it in and get another car ? Any recommended quick fixes ? Have no history on this vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Official TN Member

I drove my oil burner for 3 years, about 40k miles total. In the summer or warmer temps I used straight 30 to reduce the consumption rates. Also my dad gave my his used aviation oil, which is like a 10-40w. But in cooler temps, just filled as needed.

When I pulled my pistons I found all the oil rings ceased up, some people may have luck letting something like seafoam soak in the rings for a few days and doing that sort of treatment. Otherwise I didn't come across any tips or tricks to help. I was really good at finding discount oil!

(Let me know what your trade in value is, I may be interested in a parts / fun car when you're ready to sell)

-Randy
#3 Old 10-04-2009, 12:05 AM
Official TN Member

Put some autorx in the oil, new oil. Then let seafoam sit on top of the pistons, hot, over night. Then run the livin piss out of it so it will start unsticking the crap on your pistons.
AutoRx is available online, but works real well, and has been proven to work.
#4 Old 10-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Official TN Member

I replaced the oil burning engine on my 01 Prizm last year.

I found a wrecked 2007 Corolla (4k miles) which used the same 1ZZFE engine (though I had to reuse my stock exhaust, intake manifold, and knock sensor).
I bought the engine for $1100 and installed it myself into my Prizm. Although it was time consuming (car was down for 2 weeks), it was the easiest engine swap I have ever done. Everything was easy to work on. I also replaced the clutch and half shafts.

I have since put 10k miles on it with not a sign of any engine oil consumption. Ive hit a best MPG of 45.6 MPG thru south carolina. Highway trips are always right aroudn 40 MPG.

It was well worth the effort. There are plenty of these 1ZZFE engines around.

btw. Steve40th! Its nice hearing from you on another site
#5 Old 10-04-2009, 01:49 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizwiz24 View Post

I found a wrecked 2007 Corolla (4k miles) which used the same 1ZZFE engine (though I had to reuse my stock exhaust, intake manifold, and knock sensor).
I bought the engine for $1100 and installed it myself into my Prizm. Although it was time consuming (car was down for 2 weeks), it was the easiest engine swap I have ever done. Everything was easy to work on. I also replaced the clutch and half shafts.

I have since put 10k miles on it with not a sign of any engine oil consumption. Ive hit a best MPG of 45.6 MPG thru south carolina. Highway trips are always right aroudn 40 MPG.

Great idea looking for a wrecked vehicle and pulling that engine. Keep forgetting this is a corolla, not a corvette
Right back at ya Dave.

Last edited by Steve40th; 10-04-2009 at 01:51 PM.
#6 Old 10-09-2009, 03:48 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
prizm oil burner

Thanks guys.
#7 Old 03-18-2010, 10:11 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizwiz24 View Post

Will this swap work for any 8th gen vehicle?... I have a 98 Prizm that has one cylinder borked up. Can you really simply swap in the 1zzfe from a 9th gen car? This is a 3-spd auto version.
#8 Old 03-18-2010, 05:08 PM
Gearhead

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
A little more involved with a 1998-1999 Corolla/Prism, as those models did not have VVTi. 2000+ Corollas have the 1ZZ-FE w/VVTi.

2003-2008 Corollas (9th generation) have a revised camshaft profile (more midrange torque), composite intake manifold, different ECM. With 2005+ introduced DBW throttle bodies and the use of a AFR sensor in place of the conventional O2 sensor.

That said - you can use the short block from the newer Corollas without much issue, assuming the top end of your engine is fine.

2002 Toyota Corolla S, 1.8L 1ZZ-FE VVT-i
2003 Toyota Matrix XRS, 1.8L 2ZZ-GE, VVTL-i (RIP)
2009 Toyota Matrix XRS, 2.4L 2AZ-FE VVT-i
2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited, 2.5L 2AR-FE Dual VVT-i
#9 Old 03-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishexpo101 View Post
A little more involved with a 1998-1999 Corolla/Prism, as those models did not have VVTi. 2000+ Corollas have the 1ZZ-FE w/VVTi.

2003-2008 Corollas (9th generation) have a revised camshaft profile (more midrange torque), composite intake manifold, different ECM. With 2005+ introduced DBW throttle bodies and the use of a AFR sensor in place of the conventional O2 sensor.

That said - you can use the short block from the newer Corollas without much issue, assuming the top end of your engine is fine.
I think I have a stuck valve. It's not plug/wire/coil and there's no mechanical/metallic sound as if something major has happened such as a bent/broken valve in the chamber or anything.

So.....do I go into it and try to repair and replace on a motor that has 180k on it? or go try to find a remanufactured one or an updated (9th gen) block? to add to the issue it's a 3-spd auto, which makes me less willing to spend a little more on it, etc, etc.

I just hate the thought of spending ~$1200 on a $3000 car..... except it's not a $3000 car while it's not running. Doh!

I welcome your comments and opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 8th Generation (1998-2002)