Belt sqeak then limited power steering?? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
8th Generation (1998-2002) Specific discussion of the 8th generation

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-06-2011, 07:39 AM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: brooklyn
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Belt sqeak then limited power steering??

I had a belt sqeak then limited power steering!! terrible rumble from the front when turning the wheel left to right when in P or N, rumble from front end when turning while driving. Anyone have any ideas whats wrong?

2010 AMG E63 EuroCharged Tune 540HP
2005 Audi S4 APR Tune 360 HP
2004 Audi A4
2005 Tahoe Z71 - 22" W/Every Available Option
1999 Toyota Corolla CE
brooklyn99corolla is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 06-06-2011, 12:02 PM
Gearhead
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,954
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 10
Thanked 207 Times in 189 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
The belt squeak part and loss of power steering assist sounds like the belt is in need of change / check the condition of the belt tensioner.

The rumbling - could you be more specific? Metallic noise? Low frequency, high frequency? Chassis vibrations? Anything else seems to be non-functional/working weird other than the noise? Did this rumbling noise seem to coincide with the belt squeak?

When was the last time you got a comprehensive tuneup (ie., new plugs, check plug wires, clean TB, change fluids, etc.)?

2002 Toyota Corolla S, 1.8L 1ZZ-FE VVT-i
2003 Toyota Matrix XRS, 1.8L 2ZZ-GE, VVTL-i (RIP)
2009 Toyota Matrix XRS, 2.4L 2AZ-FE VVT-i
2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited, 2.5L 2AR-FE Dual VVT-i
fishexpo101 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to fishexpo101 For This Useful Post:
brooklyn99corolla (06-06-2011)
#3 Old 06-06-2011, 12:11 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: brooklyn
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishexpo101 View Post
The belt squeak part and loss of power steering assist sounds like the belt is in need of change / check the condition of the belt tensioner.

The rumbling - could you be more specific? Metallic noise? Low frequency, high frequency? Chassis vibrations? Anything else seems to be non-functional/working weird other than the noise? Did this rumbling noise seem to coincide with the belt squeak?

When was the last time you got a comprehensive tuneup (ie., new plugs, check plug wires, clean TB, change fluids, etc.)?

new(oem) plugs and wires last year, oil change every 3k and belt tenisoner is about 1 1/2 years old and actully happened in the reverse order rumbling when turning then belt sqeak, however didn't change the belt when i did the tensioner

2010 AMG E63 EuroCharged Tune 540HP
2005 Audi S4 APR Tune 360 HP
2004 Audi A4
2005 Tahoe Z71 - 22" W/Every Available Option
1999 Toyota Corolla CE
brooklyn99corolla is offline  
#4 Old 06-06-2011, 01:15 PM
Gearhead
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,954
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 10
Thanked 207 Times in 189 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Did you notice the rumbling before you replaced the belt tensioner the first time? Possible that the tensioner has gone bad. Definitely look into replacing the belt, squeak could be from a bad tensioner, contamination on the belt itself, contamination on the pulleys, or a bad belt.

If the rumbling or grinding is more pronounced on turns - possible the CV joints are shot. Other possibilities are worn ball joints, loose suspension parts, or loose brake components.

2002 Toyota Corolla S, 1.8L 1ZZ-FE VVT-i
2003 Toyota Matrix XRS, 1.8L 2ZZ-GE, VVTL-i (RIP)
2009 Toyota Matrix XRS, 2.4L 2AZ-FE VVT-i
2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited, 2.5L 2AR-FE Dual VVT-i
fishexpo101 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to fishexpo101 For This Useful Post:
brooklyn99corolla (06-06-2011)
#5 Old 06-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: brooklyn
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishexpo101 View Post
Did you notice the rumbling before you replaced the belt tensioner the first time? Possible that the tensioner has gone bad. Definitely look into replacing the belt, squeak could be from a bad tensioner, contamination on the belt itself, contamination on the pulleys, or a bad belt.

If the rumbling or grinding is more pronounced on turns - possible the CV joints are shot. Other possibilities are worn ball joints, loose suspension parts, or loose brake components.

only on turns, feels like theres no power steering when i tried to turn the steering wheel left to right when in park or nuetral, when i drive straight there are no noises or issues. Thanks for the response!!!

2010 AMG E63 EuroCharged Tune 540HP
2005 Audi S4 APR Tune 360 HP
2004 Audi A4
2005 Tahoe Z71 - 22" W/Every Available Option
1999 Toyota Corolla CE
brooklyn99corolla is offline  
#6 Old 06-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Gearhead
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,954
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 10
Thanked 207 Times in 189 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Is there any funny vibration / knocking in the steering wheel when you turn? Or you just notice the loss of power steering assist in turns. Straight ahead should be fine, as you are not loading the power steering - just acts up when turning.

So far, from your description - sounds like you have:
- a bad belt, possible bad belt tensioner
- possible worn CV joints
- possible worn ball joints
- possible worn tie rod ends
- possible loose suspension components

I'd go ahead and flush out the old power steering fluid and refill with fresh fluid. Loss of power steering, whining steering noise, knocking steering symptoms can be related to heavily oxidized or contaminated fluid. Even siphoning out the old fluid and replacing it several times in short intervals will get the majority of the old fluid out. At least will cross off one item from your diagnostic list.

2002 Toyota Corolla S, 1.8L 1ZZ-FE VVT-i
2003 Toyota Matrix XRS, 1.8L 2ZZ-GE, VVTL-i (RIP)
2009 Toyota Matrix XRS, 2.4L 2AZ-FE VVT-i
2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited, 2.5L 2AR-FE Dual VVT-i
fishexpo101 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to fishexpo101 For This Useful Post:
brooklyn99corolla (06-06-2011)
#7 Old 06-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: brooklyn
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishexpo101 View Post
Is there any funny vibration / knocking in the steering wheel when you turn? Or you just notice the loss of power steering assist in turns. Straight ahead should be fine, as you are not loading the power steering - just acts up when turning.

So far, from your description - sounds like you have:
- a bad belt, possible bad belt tensioner
- possible worn CV joints
- possible worn ball joints
- possible worn tie rod ends
- possible loose suspension components

I'd go ahead and flush out the old power steering fluid and refill with fresh fluid. Loss of power steering, whining steering noise, knocking steering symptoms can be related to heavily oxidized or contaminated fluid. Even siphoning out the old fluid and replacing it several times in short intervals will get the majority of the old fluid out. At least will cross off one item from your diagnostic list.
yes i get a vibration/knocking sound when turning almost feels like it doesnt want to turn.

2010 AMG E63 EuroCharged Tune 540HP
2005 Audi S4 APR Tune 360 HP
2004 Audi A4
2005 Tahoe Z71 - 22" W/Every Available Option
1999 Toyota Corolla CE
brooklyn99corolla is offline  
#8 Old 06-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Gearhead
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,954
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 10
Thanked 207 Times in 189 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Yeah, definitely check those joints and suspension out ASAP. Most of the problems you can catch visually - jack up the front end of the car in the air, pulling the wheels off the ground. Try and pry on the wheels (top and bottom, in and out) - that will check for suspension and wheel bearing. Take the wheels off and give a good look at everything. Looks for leaks, drips, anything that looks weird. Should be several DIY tips and hints on this forum to help you out if you want to try and tackle this yourself. Possible that you have a combination problem, and might have multiple worn parts there.

2002 Toyota Corolla S, 1.8L 1ZZ-FE VVT-i
2003 Toyota Matrix XRS, 1.8L 2ZZ-GE, VVTL-i (RIP)
2009 Toyota Matrix XRS, 2.4L 2AZ-FE VVT-i
2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited, 2.5L 2AR-FE Dual VVT-i
fishexpo101 is offline  
#9 Old 06-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: brooklyn
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishexpo101 View Post
Yeah, definitely check those joints and suspension out ASAP. Most of the problems you can catch visually - jack up the front end of the car in the air, pulling the wheels off the ground. Try and pry on the wheels (top and bottom, in and out) - that will check for suspension and wheel bearing. Take the wheels off and give a good look at everything. Looks for leaks, drips, anything that looks weird. Should be several DIY tips and hints on this forum to help you out if you want to try and tackle this yourself. Possible that you have a combination problem, and might have multiple worn parts there.
thanks fish! on the way home from work the sqeak got really bad (even driving straight) so i took it right to the shop, it was a bad power steering pully. Mechanic said from driving with a bad pully it broke the pump he showed me the pully with the belt off and it was wabbling ready to fall off. now i need new power steering pump, pully, and belt!

2010 AMG E63 EuroCharged Tune 540HP
2005 Audi S4 APR Tune 360 HP
2004 Audi A4
2005 Tahoe Z71 - 22" W/Every Available Option
1999 Toyota Corolla CE
brooklyn99corolla is offline  
#10 Old 06-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 260
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 6
Thanked 22 Times in 19 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Ouch! Well at least for safety's sake you were able to get it diagnosed quickly and can rest easy now.
teppista881 is offline  
#11 Old 06-07-2011, 11:07 AM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: brooklyn
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
New power steering pump, pulley, belt, replace fluid $425

2010 AMG E63 EuroCharged Tune 540HP
2005 Audi S4 APR Tune 360 HP
2004 Audi A4
2005 Tahoe Z71 - 22" W/Every Available Option
1999 Toyota Corolla CE
brooklyn99corolla is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 8th Generation (1998-2002)

Bookmarks

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome