corolla with code p0500 only when smogged - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
8th Generation (1998-2002) Specific discussion of the 8th generation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-25-2011, 08:53 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
corolla with code p0500 only when smogged

Hey guys, i did a quick search for whats happening to my car but coundnt find anything similar.

Well first off the corolla has no MIL on at all. It did have a p0420(low catalytic effeciency) but got that fixed. So i thought it was ready for smog. Cleared the code. Never came back. Car finished doing its driving cycle and got the green light from the odb2 scanner.

So i took it to the smog test place and when they did the 15 mph test the MIL came on. p0500. vehicle speed sensor malfuncion. did some reasearch and most of the time you just reset the code and it never comes back. ok. cleared the code. finished doing its driving cycle and got the green light on the odb 2 scanner. took it to the smog test and bam! agian p0500 at the 15 mph test.

Ive driven this car for hundreds of miles and that code never showed up. only when its on the smog test place. I pulled up the Freeze frame form the odb 2 scanner and it said 0 mph at @ 2000 rmp. my speedometer works perfect. it never acts weird or dies or anything. it works perfect. what can cause the sensor to read 0 mph when its at the smog test. Tomorrow im going to lift the car and rev it up to 2000 rpm and see if the speedometer works when only the front tires are spining. Any help or advice would be awesome for me.

One detail that i dont thing is that important but you never know, is that the cluster was changed some time ago by the previous owner. he said it got fried. this one works perfect though with no glitches watsoever.

Thanks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 8th Generation (1998-2002)