just another crank no start 99 corolla - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
8th Generation (1998-2002) Specific discussion of the 8th generation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-04-2013, 12:20 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
just another crank no start 99 corolla

Hello and thanks to all for making this site happen. my 1999 corolla lx with 108k miles will not start from one day to the next,prior to this the car ran excellent. Thus far i have tested all aspects of the fuel system from pump to injectors i tested the entire ignition system everything relating to fuel and spark fall within values acording to what is stated in the manual.Of course i could not test the fuel volume but there is no problem with fuel delivery. Everytime i rotate the crank manually the pistons are correct and TDC lines up when and where it is supposed to, however when i do a crank vacuum test the needle does not move. if the chain "jumped" a tooth wont the car start but run very poorly? will a compression test determine if chain is stretched? even though removing the valve cover is relatively easy i don't want to remove it yet, also i tested the crank position sensor and the map sensor and they are good.Please any suggestions would be very appreciated as this is my only car. please pardon the grammatical errors my lap top keyboard is in need of repair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-04-2013, 02:28 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthhigst View Post
Hello and thanks to all for making this site happen. my 1999 corolla lx with 108k miles will not start from one day to the next,prior to this the car ran excellent. Thus far i have tested all aspects of the fuel system from pump to injectors i tested the entire ignition system everything relating to fuel and spark fall within values acording to what is stated in the manual.Of course i could not test the fuel volume but there is no problem with fuel delivery. Everytime i rotate the crank manually the pistons are correct and TDC lines up when and where it is supposed to, however when i do a crank vacuum test the needle does not move. if the chain "jumped" a tooth wont the car start but run very poorly? will a compression test determine if chain is stretched? even though removing the valve cover is relatively easy i don't want to remove it yet, also i tested the crank position sensor and the map sensor and they are good.Please any suggestions would be very appreciated as this is my only car. please pardon the grammatical errors my lap top keyboard is in need of repair.
Has any work been done on this car recently? Is there a remote start/security system installed?

How did you test the fuel system? How did you test the fuel injectors?

Anyway.... Do a Compression test... Period.... Find out what is going on....If you have properly tested all other systems, it leaves very little else....

Don't yet be concerned if your chain "jumped" a tooth... the chances of that are very remote, unless some human gets in there and starts working past his/her experience level....

1999 Corolla LE-Paid $475 -Replaced Eng and sold
2000 Corolla CE-Paid $500 -Replaced Eng and sold
1999 Corolla VE-Bought and sold - Replaced Eng/Trns

Last edited by KarlH; 01-04-2013 at 06:53 AM.
#3 Old 01-04-2013, 10:29 AM
Official TN Member

So the issue is at times it will just crank and not start?
At this time you have fuel, air and spark?
Id run a compression test but A leakdown test may be in order.

You say one day it runs and some days it doesnt? What are the common variables? Is it after its been driven a while or sitting overnight or what. Do you get a CEL?
#4 Old 01-05-2013, 03:15 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the replies. The car does not start it only cranks. The car has not had any recent work done to it. I do not have a remote/ security system. I ran the tests as directed from the haynes manual with my fluke dvm and fuel gauge and vacuum gauge, to much detail to write here. The cars pri and secndary ignition sys is ok. as well as the fuel sys. There is no check eng light on although the light works. I am going to do a compression test i dont have access to my compressor to do a leak down test. If the car had an alarm sys could it have a so called "kill" switch and cause a no start problem? Again prior to the day that it stopped starting the car ran good no hesitation, no engine noise,fuel economy was good plenty of power for all that a 4cly is worth and so on. so in closing i see spark i see fuel and tdc lines up still no start. In a couple of days i will preform the compression test and see what it shows. Thanks again.
#5 Old 01-05-2013, 05:45 PM
Dishin out facts

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nthhigst View Post
Thanks for the replies. The car does not start it only cranks. The car has not had any recent work done to it. I do not have a remote/ security system. I ran the tests as directed from the haynes manual with my fluke dvm and fuel gauge and vacuum gauge, to much detail to write here. The cars pri and secndary ignition sys is ok. as well as the fuel sys. There is no check eng light on although the light works. I am going to do a compression test i dont have access to my compressor to do a leak down test. If the car had an alarm sys could it have a so called "kill" switch and cause a no start problem? Again prior to the day that it stopped starting the car ran good no hesitation, no engine noise,fuel economy was good plenty of power for all that a 4cly is worth and so on. so in closing i see spark i see fuel and tdc lines up still no start. In a couple of days i will preform the compression test and see what it shows. Thanks again.

I have the same issue I guess. However mine seems to only (click once) when cranking it, and then if i turn the steering wheel a couple degrees L or R, It works perfectly. And then It seemingly is perfect.

I like to live within my means, and with the least amount of trouble, that's why I LOVE TOYOYTA

The Following User Says Thank You to BeigeCorolla For This Useful Post:
nthhigst (01-07-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 8th Generation (1998-2002)