2001 Corolla suspension noise - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Corolla 8th Generation (1998-2002) Specific discussion of the 8th generation

1Likes
  • 1 Post By THEWISEONE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 03-09-2017, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2001 Corolla suspension noise

The rear suspension in my corolla has always made a lot of noise, creaking and banging clunking type metallic sound. I have replaced everything over the last 3 or 4 years. Struts, springs, stabilizer bars, torsion bar links, bushings, just about everything you can replace. The only item I have not replaced is the bar that connects the two sides together (torsion bar?) The noise is getting worse and it sounds like something is ready to fall apart although everything looks fine. The strut bolts are all there and good and tight. I can only imagine others have experienced this same issue? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (Both rear struts were replaced last year)

Thank You.
Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-09-2017, 10:51 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Just out of curiosity, and this is a big IF, did you check your rear wheel bearings?

Can you re-create the sound by rocking the car or pushing the rear up and down? Maybe have someone or a couple people help by rocking and pushing on the car while you or someone checks underneath to pinpoint the sound. It could be something as simple as a loose exhaust hanger causing the pipe or muffler to impact the frame or suspension.

There are a lot of components back there so make sure the trailing arms and all bushings are intact and not falling apart or missing.

We can work on this to narrow it down.

Last edited by Gremlin85; 03-09-2017 at 10:53 AM.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-09-2017, 05:17 PM
TN user

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Supreme Member
How are your breaks? Could have something wrong with one of the drums or a part loose/broken inside. The rear breaks dont do much of the stopping power so if we are looking for not normal noises try taking the rear drums off and have a look inside. Trailing arm bushings are another option but that should be easily spotted if there is play.

If any part of this was useful please click the thanks button to let me know it worked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-09-2017, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
The noise is only noticeable when the vehicle is in motion. Pushing up and down on the parked vehicle does not seem to make any noise. I did check the brakes and drums and everything is in good shape. The bushings are all intact and visually everything looks fine. My guess is the noise is from the coil spring or the torsion bar. It sounds a bit like a binding or creaking sound. As if the spring was moving or binding in the strut mounts. I have never been happy with the suspension in this vehicle as it has been harsh and noisy every since I bought it (ten years ago). I had a 1991 corrolla that I believe had a better riding suspension. In the 10 years I have had this vehicle I have replaced the rear struts twice and the front once. Monroe sensaTrac
post #5 of 13 Old 03-09-2017, 07:07 PM
TN user

Supreme Member
Could just be the cold shrinking things so they rub more. If all is solid and just a noise maybe try the up volume knob on the stereo and wait for annoying to show the real problem as it deteriorates? You sure its in the rear and not below you? Did you check the subframe, control arm bushings, tranny mount, ball joints...

If any part of this was useful please click the thanks button to let me know it worked
post #6 of 13 Old 03-10-2017, 07:33 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
You mentioned you replaced the stabilizer bar (sway bar) and even torsion bar links, but did you replace the sway bar end links as well?

I know it's common on the front of these vehicles for a clunk sound to happen when going over bumps and it's cause by worn out sway bar end links. You won't really even notice it until you grab the bar and start to tug on it and watch for play at the end links. Mine has done this and it took me a few days to track down.

It's a long shot, but it might be the sway bar end links messing with you.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-10-2017, 08:17 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Before throwing money at the thing its always a good idea to have a professional mechanic test drive the vehicule.I am sure that he will find the problem in no time. End links are common wear items on these cars and when they fail you will hear a clunking sound everytime you go over bumps.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-10-2017, 08:09 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Best to test parts and determine if are actually bad before replacing. Otherwise you end up replacing perfectly good parts with brand-new good parts.

In this case, statistics indicate the most likely source of the noise is swaybar end-links.

Also check and grease the swaybar D-bushings. While these themselves don't make noise other than squeaking, the stiction when dry causes harsh suspension motion and poor ride quality.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-15-2017, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I am thinking it is either the stabilizer bar or coil spring isolators. The sound is very metallic, binding as if metal on metal. The stabilizer bar has new bushings and the control arm linkages are good. I am wondering is a stabilizer bar can start to make noise if the tension in the metal gets weak?
post #10 of 13 Old 03-15-2017, 11:00 AM
Official TN Member

Garage
How cold is it in N.S these days? Does your car makes less noise on warmer weather? When I drive my car at -25C it feels like my suspension is made of bricks and makes more noise but it goes away after a while when everything is warmed up. Worned end links makes a dull clunk sound everytime you go over bumps or speedbumps.Check your exhaust pipes and muffler for broken hanger because something could be loose down there and causing a lot of noise.
G_gazoo likes this.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-20-2017, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
It does seem to make more noise when it is colder. In fact the noise seems to get less noticable the longer the drive.
I have replace the linkage connectors multiple times. The noise never totally goes away although seems to get worse at times. It sounds like a binding or metallic sound. If I could figure it out I would certainly have it repaired.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-20-2017, 07:30 PM
Official TN Member

Garage
Maybe something loose in the trunk. Is the car jack secured? Remove all objects in the trunk even the spare tire and go for a test drive.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-20-2017, 10:35 PM
TN user

Supreme Member
Did you replace the struts and springs? If so did you use monroe assemblies? (What did you use and brand?) I have read that some quick stuts they made would bind on the strut mount even brand new. Never seen this issue myself but if you did use monroe ill dig around to find you a link or two of what im referring too. Just a note most monroe reviews are good and its been a while since i read anyone unhappy with them but worth mentioning for future readers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > Corolla 8th Generation (1998-2002)