Toyota Nation Forum banner

2001 Corolla Starting problem - Fuel Filter

38K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  jmenez 
#1 · (Edited)
When I try to start the car the engine rotates but does not start.

-Fuel tank is full
-Battery is fine
-Battery terminal connections are fine
-Fuel injectors, fuel pump, pressure regulator are all fine
-timeing belt is in good condition
-ignition components are dry and operational
-spark plugs are fine
-starting circuit wiring is fine
-distributor/ignition timing is fine
-ignition coil is fine

It has 75000 miles and has not been driven for about a week and has been sitting with a very small amount of fuel in it. I am told that because of it's age and mileage that dirt and such could have clogged the fuel filter which has not been changed since the purchase of the car (I believe the manual instructs to replace it every 30000 miles). My Corolla 93-97 manual says that the "canister filter is mounted in a bracket on the firewall near the brake master cylinder". I was able to locate the brake master cylinder but not the fuel filter. Before I take it to a mechanic I want to attempt to replace this myself if it is easily accesible.

Would anyone happen to know exactly where the fuel filter is located?
Thanks,
Aleksey

See less See more
#3 ·
It could be other things also, but you can get to the pump by removing the back seat cushion and you'll find a lid with bolts; Inside is the fuel pump with a mesh net and maybe a filter built into the pump assembly somewhere.

You can unplug the pig tail for the pump and use a voltmeter to check current, if no voltage could be a blown fuse.

#4 ·
At this point, after having talked with a Toyoa dealership, it is problably not the fuel filter since it is meant to be a "life long" filter. I'm just gonna have it checked out through diagnostics with Toyota. Thanks for the help anyway guys. I'll post what the problem was once they figure it out for reference.

#5 ·
Please do let us know what you find out from Toyota. I am having a similar problem with my 2001 Corolla. It has about 79000 miles on it.

Basically, there is occassional hesitation/sputtering when starting out from a stop, and sometimes, randomly, the engine will turn over but not want to start. The hesitation has been going on for awhile now, but my car not starting has just been happening within the last month, and has become worse recently (it happens about 2-3 times a week now).

-the check engine light is on
-we are getting an engine code that reads "too lean" and one that reads "multiple cylinder misfire"
-the car seems to hesitate/sputter more aggressively when it's been raining out

My boyfriend thought it was the fuel pump and replaced that (and also cleaned the filter), and it didn't change anything, so I wasted $150. Now we're thinking it's the MAF sensor, or possibly an o2 sensor (from reading other forums).

The input you get back from Toyota would be greatly appreciated! (Along with any other input anyone else may have :) )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.