Toyota Nation Forum banner

'04 Matrix - cough/sputter, then barely starts

905 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  techi 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey folks, Thank you ahead of time for any advice you can provide. I'm a noob in terms of auto repair, but a generally pretty handy person so I'm hoping I can do this repair myself.

Out of the blue, my '04 Matrix wouldn't start. I turn the key, the engine cranks, but just keeps coughing (Is that an accurate way to describe it? It makes noise like it's about to start, but doesn't.). So I turn it off, try again, and push it to about 7 or 8 coughs. No luck. On the third try, it coughs like 3 times and starts.

I cleaned the corrosion on my battery terminals, but that did not improve the situation at all. Once the car starts, it operates normally. No issues on acceleration, idle, etc. but now I'm afraid of just getting stranded somewhere.

I recorded this, which is a best-case scenario.

Thank you!
Maybe Dave

#6 ·
Auto parts stores will test both free of charge. I work at an independent repair facility and I don't think we charge for load testing at least. Most people tell us what they want fixed. It's rare we actually diagnose something. When we do...it's usually a deep enough diagnosis go charge for it.

#7 · (Edited)
1. Could be low on oil too or low electrolyte level in battery.
2. Could be bad ground terminal to starter, bad starter, bad battery, bad starter solenoid contacts. Check battery water level. Refill with only deionized water. Your battery may not be fully charging due to low electrolyte level.
3. A multimeter will only help to measure voltage and its more than voltage that u need to start a car.

Check easy stuff first...like low oil....... is there a ground wire from battery to body and body to engine somewhere? Sometimes wires are removed or not reinstalled after maintenance. Car might start fine with new battery, but after a while it gives you trouble because resistance builds up in the starter circuit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.