Toyota Nation Forum banner

Gotta try the posi differential

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Exage 
#1 ·
Wow a major difference went u do a posi diff in the corolla diffenitely can feel the potiential of the 1zzfe

#2 ·
hows the turning while delivering power? also what advantages are you noticing over stock diff? this sounds intriguing to me.

#3 ·
Confused now.

FWD cars don't have a differential. Do you mean LSD? :confused:

#6 · (Edited)
FWD cars 100% have a differential, otherwise you wouldn't be able to turn very well/at all. I just spent a boat load getting my 93's transaxle rebuilt due to issues with the differential bearings whereas in a traditional RWD car this isn't a huge deal. Posi or Positraction is an old school, namely GM, term for LSDs though I believe they refer to the G80 lockers in the trucks as posi's too. LSDs are rare for them in general and I didn't know you could get one with a 9th gen and the A245E, or I would have put one in said 93. Most common in AWD cars but some FWD cars have them too, almost always with an M/T though like the Sentra SE-Rs and I think some Civic Si.

Edit: I got beat to it by invader.

#8 ·
Quaife makes (or made) it for the Corolla (and Celica,Exige,MR2 Sypder....etc), however I imagine it would be rather complicated and expensive to install as it doesn't seem to be a simple "bolt on" part, but disassembling and reassembling a part of transaxle with the LSD component swapped in within the ring gear.

Would be worth it for the performance benefits, however I imagine the car needs a bit of power to take full advantage.

#9 ·
This is correct. There are actually a couple on MWR; Kaaz, Quaife, OS Giken, TRD. All of which are +$1000 for the LSD on it's lonesome. I will note that they are only for the manual transmissions; C59 and C60.

Install requires the removal and disassembling the transaxle (subsequently the transmission) so case, gears, shafts and well pretty much everything is going to be exposed or needs to be removed.

For the average person it's not really needed. It could be put in if one were to do a full overhaul of a busted transmission. It's more for a racing application than anything.

I would exercise going through performance tires before considering this upgrade and usually would require a forced induction 1ZZ-FE or 2ZZ-GE. or a very wound out naturally aspirated 2ZZ-GE (likely on a bottle).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.