Toyota Nation Forum banner

0W-10 oil?

4K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  invader 
#1 ·
Recently at work my colleague who also owns a 9th. gen was telling me he put 0W-10 full sync. made by Idemit something and awed by it. In fact, he told me it's not the company but 0W-10 oil makes a lot of difference in comparison to 0W-20, 5W-30, etc.

He, in fact gave me this link about (as per him) even more better oil. http://www.brocksperformance.com/Less-than-0W-Alisyn-Synthetic-Oil-Quart+I790167+C79.aspx

I did a quick Google search and did not find ANYTHING about ANYONE using 0W-10 oil, let alone a Rolla.

#5 ·
Understood. I guess I'll pass..... I have had always very good results with Mobil-1 0W-20 and Mobil-1 filter.
BTW: I wrote about this, my mechanic ran out of filters and installed instead a Camry V6 (large filter). I hope its fine!

#7 ·
I don't live in a cold climate, so I just use the 5W/30 since that is what the car was spec'd for. On this car, the filter is vertical with the threads pointing upwards, so there is no problem at all using a larger filter. Everyone should use a larger filter on a Gen 9 Corolla.

It sure is... I also use the larger oil filter size. I went a step further with a System 1 high flow reusable oil filter, and it has already paid itself.
Just wondering.....don't the high flow oil filters not filter as well as standard flow filters? Kind of like the K&N air filters that some people install. They're reusable, and get good air flow, but I've heard they don't filter very well. Just curious if it's the same concept with the reusable high flow oil filter? What's your opinion?

I'm using a larger oil filter that is about 75% larger than the standard, in addition to a bypass oil filter which is about......I dunno....maybe 500% larger than the standard filter. I'm changing my synthetic oil every 25K miles with this setup. I had this bypass system installed around 40K miles and now have over 299K miles. Even went 35K miles once or twice on the oil a few years ago. No internal work done on the engine. Runs fine. Of course, there are those who have 300K+ miles using dino oil at 5K OCI, so who knows? May all be much ado about nothing.

#8 · (Edited)
#11 ·
Which part number did you use? Have you taken any samples of the oil to compare what the System1 filter is doing with other traditional filters like Fram Ultra or Purolator PureOne? How much did the filter cost? How many oil changes have you used it for (and cleaned it). Did you find it difficult to clean?

#13 ·
System 1 # 209-312361

I just had to file part of the fins down to clear edge of oil pan.

No I haven't taken samples... Here it is: http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sof-209-312361/overview/

More photos: http://www.jegs.com/i/System-1/888/209-312361/10002/-1?parentProductId=745625

I've cleaned it about 40 times so far. It is very easy, and it does catch very fine carbon deposits.
Its $160. A OEM filter: $6. That's 26 times before break-even. Usually, an oil change is done by me at least approx. 7000 miles and I use 0w-20 Mobil-1. This means approx. 186,000 miles.
Wondering the value proposition here? Also, not sure if after cleaning it can be immediately popped back in. Usually, they need time to dry out, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.