Toyota Nation Forum banner

Refill power steering fluid

13K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  Coyote Chris 
#1 ·
Ok guys. I have a 2004 toyota Corolla LE... nice car, has about 170,000 miles on it. well, I'm not the MOST car savvy guy out there but I have been getting better over the years. It's been quite a few years since it went for a full tuneup and I looked and noticed that the power steering fluid reservoir is empty as can be (may be explaining the light squeak that occaisionally happens the last couple months when I make a turn. nothing wild, just a light background squeak that's barely audible sometimes). Anyways, I read up on the turkey baster method and was going to try that as a way to flush what's left (I don't think I'm too low, I don't have a nasty whine like the pump is straining or anything, reservoir is just empty). my only question is. since there's NO fluid in the reservoir, should I bleed the lines completely so as not to worry about air in the lines, or should I fill it up, then drive it around or jack it up and twist the wheel to lock, train and refill again (rinse repeat) and let any air works it way out that way? Just asking because I don't want to bone it up since this is my first time replacing the steering fluid

#3 · (Edited)
already done. I looked closer and realized the OEM PS fluid was clear, not red ATF like my old car. there was still some in the bottom though. I looked for leaks around the hoses etc and didn't see anything besides the mild moistness around the pipe clamps holding the hoses to the joints. (covered and mixed with grime, making it look like it's just years of tiny seepage. my car doesn't leak oil onto the ground AT ALL, cuz I always check on the ground for oil leaks out of habit in my parking spot at home. I checked my records and since it wasn't a standard maint item, the PS fluid hasn't been checked or changed in almost 13 years and 169,397 miles. So I would assume it's been slowly seeping/evaporating/absorbing into the seals over time. I'll of course keep an eye on the levels but it must have only been the reservoir that had been used up as the car didn't feel any clunkier than it always has been and was still turning smooth (besides the occasional squeak when you turned the wheel at dry startup).

#4 · (Edited)
well, after some digging around I found out what it is. the power steering fluid return hose is leaking right by the reservoir. it's that 6-8 inch piece of rubber hosing that attaches from the reservoir itself to the rest of the line and is attached with steel clamps to keep it in place. It's either coming from the end that attaches directly to the reservoir and running down the hose, or it's coming from the other end that attaches to the thin metal part of the line.... either way it's coming from that 8 inch piece of bent hose with the clamps, no doubt about it. I luckily have a small piece of the metal housing that is directly under that second clamp near the supply line portion of the return and i can see the power steering fluid pooling there (and the rubber hosing is coated in the power steering fluid). HOWEVER I can't seem to find that piece of hose anywhere except the entire return line assembly ... and I'm not too keen on buying an $80 part just to replace a 6-8 inch piece of hose and the clamps. Would I be able to replace that piece of hose manually and just replace the clamps?

luckily the leek is STUPID slow. like I had refilled the power steering fluid over a month ago when (12/17/16) and the fluid was BARELY above the "cold max" line on the reservoir, and after 5 weeks it was just BARELY (like barely noticeable) under that line. So I'm not worried about it blowing out in a week or anything, I just would prefer to fix it than just have it get worse and I figure if that hose is an easy replacement I'm more than up to doing that

#6 ·
Try removing or moving the original hose clamp and adding a new screw clamp in its place. That may fix the leak.

#7 ·
And, if you're super thrifty and have lotsa time, you might take the old line with hose to hydraulic hose place (trucks, and construction equipment); they might be able to replace just the rubber part with a super crimped on clamp. But, IMO, wouldn't be too much better than worm drive hose clamp and some good hose. If local FLAPs can't supply, expand to Foreign car garages...

#9 ·
wow, I'm sorry for the late reply. for some reason I didn't get any email notifications that people replied.

so sadly it's looking like just replacing the line or getting a hose clamp with a screw to see if that slows/fixes it....I'll take a look at the clamps at Oreilly or Auto zone, I have a few that would work but I'd have to take the hose off the resevoir to actually slide it over the hose since it won't "open" enough to just slide it over the hose attached (it's the kind that just opens wider so you can slip it over the end of a hose and then just tighten down)

#11 · (Edited)
This guys measured the return hose inside diameter to be 7/16.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...ibe-power-steering-fluid-exchange-w-pics.html

Fluid leak will go down, so if the entire hose is wet with power steering,
then likely its the top connection.

Clean the area thoroughly and turn the steering wheel max to the left and then to the right repeatedly
until you spot small leak some where or by using a clean white paper towel.

If the hose is not cut, cracked and leaking, then you can definitely try bit tighter clamp.

If it's the hose, you might be able to find generic 7/16 ID power steering return hose that can work.
Or you can even consider fetching one from a junky yard. If so, then I would try to find a later year
Corolla...like 2008. I bet it'll be around $5.

Also, fact that you drove low on PS fluid, as part of fixing the leak,
I would do a flush to get any contaminates that got created from running low on fluid.

#12 ·
thanks, I might be able to find some 7/16th diameter tranny or power steering hose. That # helps a lot.

and yes, figured out it was at the top right by the resevoir. the whole hose is wet and it trails down it. had to fill a hair last night, but I have already done as you said initially. the last 1.5 months have been me doing the "siphon resevoir and refill" purge method and gone through about 2 quarts of ATF in the process. ... inspected the area where it meets the resevoir and it doesn't seem cracked or cut anywhere. hose actually looks pristine. the moisture area is right at the edge as the liquid is forced out where the hose plugs into the reservoir, making me want to try the clamp as the FIRST thing I try...

#13 · (Edited)
update. as of 5 minutes ago I put on a hose clamp around the "top" of the hose as it went into the reservoir. I can DEFINITELY tell this is a tighter fit than the OEM clamp being that I could almost pull off the hose from the reservoir by twisting it. with the hose clamp on it doesn't want to budge. I'll update in a few weeks/month to see if there's still any leakage.

#22 ·
PS Flush?

Greetings! Newbie here. My 2006 Matrix only has 50k on it but the Power steering fluid is looking a bit dark. I developed a home brewed technique for flushing the PS system of my 2004 CRV. I guess I cant reference other forums here so I cant provide a link but in a nutshell the technique involves one person pouring new fluid into the reservoir while the other person runs the engine and turns the wheel back and forth, while the old fluid is pumped into a line going into the bucket. Only takes a few seconds and works great. Trouble is, my Trix res has a very small opening for the fluid or possibly there is an insert that contains the small hole I can remove? How do you guys flush your systems? Some just replace the res fluid once a day for ten days and call it good.

#23 ·
Greetings! Newbie here. My 2006 Matrix only has 50k on it but the Power steering fluid is looking a bit dark. I developed a home brewed technique for flushing the PS system of my 2004 CRV. I guess I cant reference other forums here so I cant provide a link but in a nutshell the technique involves one person pouring new fluid into the reservoir while the other person runs the engine and turns the wheel back and forth, while the old fluid is pumped into a line going into the bucket. Only takes a few seconds and works great. Trouble is, my Trix res has a very small opening for the fluid or possibly there is an insert that contains the small hole I can remove? How do you guys flush your systems? Some just replace the res fluid once a day for ten days and call it good.

Reactions: Coyote Chris
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.